TheAutisticBirb

Jul 2, 2024
Parrots
- green parakeet, 8-10 years old
- blue parakeet, 9-12 years old
I was away on vacation and allowed my parents to take care of my two birds, theyā€™re small lineolated parakeets, but I found out while I was away they COMPLETELY sprayed down the WHOLE cage and every toy inside. I donā€™t know which day they cleaned it, I was only gone for 3 days, the birds look fine, theyā€™re currently in their smaller cage that we bring to travel (not a carrier, itā€™s just not as huge as the one in my room), but I need answers to these questions and I canā€™t find the specific answers I need. This site kept popping up though, so I thought maybe I could get some help, thank you ^^ā€

- should I just get rid of the toys and get new ones? or can they be properly cleaned? (itā€™s a large thick plastic slinky, some bells, a few wooden perches, a rope they climb on and chew at, a little swing/perch that they like to pick at, and a felt hanging toy thing

- I donā€™t know which one of the 3 days they sprayed, if thereā€™s a chance they were put back in the cage and ingested any of it due to it being on their toys and especially one of them loooves to chew on the rope (which got sprayed) should I take them to the vet? Could even ingesting a small bit kill them?

- one of them has had loud breathing problems (well, loud for a tiny little bird) since we got him, the doctor said it seems to be anxiety and not underlying health issues, he used to pluck himself but heā€™s been a lot better, but I worry that Iā€™m unable to tell if heā€™s sick or heā€™s just breathing loudly like he does a lot?

- how can I clean the cage? The cage is maybe 5ft tall, on wheels; and hard to move out of my room, is there a bird safe cleaner I can make or buy to try and clean it down to the best of my ability?

- how much winded would they have to ingest or inhale for it to kill them and what are warning signs? What should I look out for in the next few days

- do the toxins in windex stay there even once itā€™s been completely dried? This cage was in the sunlight (not directly, but it got natural light) and I donā€™t know if it dries and lessens the effect?

I know Iā€™m asking a lot but Iā€™m so desperate for specific or at least as close to specific as I can get answers. It stresses me out greatly when I canā€™t find anything specific, thank you so much

YIPES!

Well, I only use water for cleanig... and sometimes I soak stuff for days before sundrying. When the whle shang needs, cleaing Rb goes into his travel cage, and I roll the whole age outside and hist with the hose. As for your toys, etc., I guess I'd soak/soak/soak for a WHILE, sundry... if in any doubt like with porous material, I guess I WOULD toss 'em. Anyway, good for you being so vigilant and caring.
Let's see if folks smarter than I have more info...

Most Reactions

Back