Dec 17, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Parrots
Kona & Ino: Green Cheeked Conures--

Petey: Yellow Female Parakeet--

Chicken: Blue Male Parakeet--

Pickle: Male Yellow Indian Ringneck--

Girlie: Orange Winged Amazon
We have some birds already: 2 parakeets, 2 GCCs that are siblings, 1 indian ringneck, an orange winged amazon.

A friend of ours had a Jenday conure that was attacked by their husky once. She survived, but huddled in the corner of her cage for 2 weeks with her eyes closed. They thought she was blind. Later, the dog got a few of her tail feathers through the cage and ripped them out.

She is healthy and ok from all that, but they had to keep her isolated upstairs to keep her away from the dogs. So, we adopted her from them.

She is very sweet to us (people), but VERY aggressive towards the birds. The only birds she really seems to "coexist" with is my 2 conures downstairs. But, that is still a little tense.

I realize she may be defensive and scared with her history of other animals, and i'm her 3rd home, at least, so not sure about what else shes been through. So, i understand her behavior.

I was seeking some suggestions/help on how to assimilate her into our flock. Other than my 2 conures, the other birds hang out pretty peacefully. Out amazon has become attached to our ringneck recently, so they all hang out together.

I realize not all birds are going to be buddies, but some help on how to aleveate the cage shuffling would be nice lol.

FYI, she is a lot better since the first day we got her, she will hang out upstairs while other birds are out, but if you get them close or one flies near her, she gets very stressed out.

Otherwise, she seems very healthy, she eats well and is great with us, shell sit on your shoulder and fall asleep under your neck.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Poor baby.
Just give her time and patience. Life has been very rough for her it sounds like!

She'll need a lot of extra love and patience. I'm happy to hear that she's finally found a good home! I have a Jenday girl who I love very much.

We definitely have love and patience, we learned that from our other birds! Lol.

She is very sweet, always offering to vomit for us. ;)

Thanks for the replies.

Joe

Shes been through alot . Be happy with what shes willing to give and you will go far :) If something stresses her out do not make her do it.

I agree completely.

She gets better every day.

Socializing parrots together is an inexact science to begin with. Especially inter-species flocks. It's considerably more complicated when you've got one that's been attacked by other things, and seriously injured before.

That is bound to make this bird more defensive around other creatures.

You just have to understand that, and go at this birds pace. Introduce her to things slowly... and gradually expand what she accepts.

She may keep the other birds at a distance. Which conures will often do anyway. If so, the only real answer is: Separate cages, separate playstands. Separate space.

She may always want to keep a little distance between herself and the other birds, but in time I think she'll figure out that she is safe and maybe a little at a time become more trusting and secure. Sounds like you have the right attitude also, knowing she's been through a lot and has good reason to be defensive.

Most Reactions

Back