7.5 week old cockatiel not weaning

CherokeeFlats

May 19, 2024
Farmer City, IL
Parrots
Ren 2 year old Normal Pearl Pied Male Cockatiel
Ryu 7 week old White Faced Pearl Pied Female Cockatiel
I have a 7.5 week old White Faced Pearl Pied hand fed baby (mom died after she? hatched) that I've been handfeeding since day one. I know she's eating millet, but that's it. How can I encourage her to start weaning? she is in the big cage now with her dad. Who calls her "my sweet baby" She is very stuck to me and will cry if I leave the room, even to go to the kitchen.

I want to encourage weaning, but in a healthy way so that when my big surgery comes in Sept, I am not still hand feeding her. Although she'd probably like that.

Is there anything I can do to help this process or is it just as simple as letting them decided and they wean when they wean.

This is my Sweet Ryu...
IMG_5220 2.jpg

She insists on helping me type and will peck at the keys while I do. It's kinda cute.

Anyway, thanks in advance
Crystal Smith

I know NOTHING about weaning, but here is a thread that people here pass around. I hope it helps.
Good luck!
I'm glad you're here.

P.S. What a breath-taking beauty!

Sometimes it takes as long as 10 weeks for a baby cockatiel to wean. Keep at it. Keep offering adult foods while hand feeding. SOunds like yer doing a great job!

I have to go to Chicago friday for a doctors appointment, I will be gone most of the day. I plan on feeding her right before I leave at 9 am. Will she be ok till I get back at 7pm? I do not have anyone I trust to feed her while I'm away and I can't take her with me. She will be 8 weeks old the day before my appointment.

I have to go to Chicago friday for a doctors appointment, I will be gone most of the day. I plan on feeding her right before I leave at 9 am. Will she be ok till I get back at 7pm? I do not have anyone I trust to feed her while I'm away and I can't take her with me. She will be 8 weeks old the day before my appointment.
She should be okay, especially if you make her formula a little bit thicker. Don't want it too thick. just a sprinkle should be enough added to her regular consistency...

My next questions is: Ryu feels skinny. How can I get her to gain some weight healthy?
She wont eat fresh fruits or veggies yet... she yells at them LOL

Oh dear.... if she's skinny, you might want to thicken up her formula. ANd it might warrant a vet visit. A baby bird losing weight is normal if they're weaning, but if they're not eating adult foods yet, you might need to have a vet check 'em over...

Most Reactions

Back