Zilla and my Little Brother = AMAZING!!!

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
First a little background my my brother...He is 23 (24 in Feb.) diagnosed with Autism/Aspergers syndrome when he was 3, very high level functioning. Graduated High School with honors in math AND creative writing (BOTH sides of the brain? who does that?) NOT a social person, unless it's on the internet with his computer gaming friends. Mom and I have joked for years that we (being his primary care givers with his father choosing to not be in his life much) have had to go back to school to raise him! When he does choose to have conversations with us we end up running to google to find the definitions of what he just told us!

When he was younger, life with him was like watching the movie "Rainman" everything was done on a time schedule (wake up ate 6, breakfast at 7, lunch at 12, dinner at 5) Jeopardy was on TV at dinner time and we always joked if we could only get him on that show he would win big time! Seriously from about 6 years old he got the majority of the "questions" right! He still watches it and gets the answers before the contestants do!

He has met Zilla a total of 3 times now, yesterday being the 3rd. Mom dropped him off here so she could do some shopping, since he doesn't do stores and crowds well. He did his usual "hug" Simon (Simon HATES being picked up, but allows this one kid to do whatever he wants to with him) then it was Sassy's turn, and she loves his hugs.

I was still working so he sat in my recliner with Zilla on her play stand next to him. I heard him start talking to her, and she started making some little noises at him! Pretty soon they were having a full blown "conversation". She has only ever done this with me and usually will go back to her cage and make herself as small and be as quiet as she can, almost always hiding behind a toy and "peeking" out at the new person in the room. That's what she did the last 2 times he was here, but not this time.

After about 20 minutes of this I peeked around the corner to see what was going on and she was on his arm! Just sitting there "chatting" with him! She would listen when he was talking and turn her head a bit sideways like she was understanding everything, then she would chatter a bit, then wait for him to talk some more, then chatter. This is the first time I have seen her voluntarily step onto anyone but me! He had no treats to bribe her with, just conversation (which was about his online video games and the guys he plays them with) Whatever game it was, Zilla now knows how to play and what character everyone is!

I'm still just amazed at that couple of hours of watching and listening to them together! I know animals have a deep understanding of different people and seem to know he is different than "most" people, I've seen that his whole life with all the animals we have had. He has 2 cats of his own, I've watched him with my cats Sassy and Simon who always let him do things they would never let anyone else do (even me)

I just wasn't expecting Zilla to take to him so quickly or be so loving with him, especially with me in another room out of her sight. She is truly an AMAZING bird!

What a sweet girl Zilla is. I think a lot of people with autism have a special gift with animals. I'm so glad he and Zilla got to have a good "conversation" yesterday:D:D:D

He does have a "special" gift with animals, he is such a "gentle" soul!

He is already talking about coming back to visit her again soon, and that's major progress for him. He generally doesn't want to leave the house for much of anything.

I think they are going to be good friends! :D

1. Birds pick their people.

2. They are empathic. They sense things in us... and that plays a role in who they choose to call friends.

3. Amazons can be very choosey... which, in and of itself, speaks volumes about you, your mom, and your brother.

What a great story, sounds like Zilla has a new pal! Animals understand way more than most people give them credit for that's for sure!

I have heard that my son's Zon lets the clients from his girlfriend's office touch him. He talks up a storm with the one who has autism.

That's a beautiful story, Amanda, thank you for sharing. I hope this is the start of a very long friendship between your brother and Zilla.

What a heartwarming story! Thank you so much for sharing that.

Maybe Zilla found her "calling" as an "ASSISTANCE THERAPY BIRD" for autism /Auspergers syndrome!

What an awesome thing to witness! Animals can be so amazing! How awesome for your brother!

What a wonderful story! It does speak volumes about what an amazing person your brother is, and Zilla obviously felt that:)

Amazing story . One of the girls at work . Her son has autism. He is like your brother. Everything has to be at a set time or he can't deal with it. If she takes another way home he panic's . His outlet is a Wee game right now. They did get him a Dog that has helped him some .
Thank you for sharing that story it is amazing

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back