Young Conure starting agressive behavior...any suggestions??Thanks!

The basic problem is the relationship between human and bird, not the ability or temporary inability to fly. Something needs to be done to get the relationship on a good footing. In my own case, I have tamed numerous birds by clipping their wings initially, working with them to tame them, and then letting the primaries grow back. It has worked wonderfully, even with adult birds. That's why I think it's a great tool for folks who are having a difficult time of it. :green2:

I agree with this. Even though clipping does not initially change an unwanted behavior, it helps the human get a small advantage in the training, by protecting himself from flight attacks. It is sometimes hard to develop a trusting bond when the human is afraid of a bite. Clipping gives the human a way to regain confidence and it makes the bird think twice before throwing itself at the human to bite.

I only meant that you should ignore them if biting for attention not biting in general. If you get bitten at all while paying attention your doing something wrong and should slow down or try another method. Our lovebird is an attention hog and if you try to watch tv for too long without giving her attention she will come nip our feet or hands to make us look at her or get a scratch. It got worse until we finally stopped reacting to it.

Something I noticed today is that Loki doesn't bite at me if he is sitting on my bf, I can give him scratches, and he wants me to rub under his wings and everything. Does anyone have an ideas as to what that could mean? and should I use this to my advantage and try to play with him while he is on my bf as much as possible to strengthen our bond?

I have really been paying attention to when it is that he bites me as well, and the only thing I could come up with is that it is totally random. Sometimes he will even ask me to pet him, and then latch onto my hand after a few seconds. It seems to kind of cycle as well, he has a few really good days, and then is totally awful for several as well. Does this sound like something that could be hormonal and to do with him going through puberty?

Also a big thank you to everyone that has been giving me advice. I have had several pet birds before, but mostly cockatiels, so I feel like I am new to this all over again, and really appreciate the help I am getting!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back