Worried about my conure

Walton

Jun 14, 2024
Parrots
Pineapple Conure
I am really worried about our pineapple conure who is approx nine months old.
We have had him for four months and he is still very wary of us - there is no way we could handle him - he is so timid.
He has now started to sleep a lot of the time - is this from boredom and how can we help if he won’t have anything to do with us?
He also refuses any treats apart from apple.
Any advice would be appreciated as he seems so sad.

We have had him for four months and he is still very wary of us - there is no way we could handle him - he is so timid.
He has now started to sleep a lot of the time - is this from boredom and how can we help if he won’t have anything to do with us?
Hi
Cause the conure is accepting apple from you, so maybe you need to try and find different things that he likes. Try different dried nuts and fruits. You will find something he likes. I have to continuously keep exploring things that my parrot likes😊

Hi
Cause the conure is accepting apple from you, so maybe you need to try and find different things that he likes. Try different dried nuts and fruits. You will find something he likes. I have to continuously keep exploring things that my parrot likes😊
Thank you for your reply.
I have tried several things that I have seen the local vet gives to their conures but he just leaves them.
I will keep trying though.

If you're worried about boredom you might want to put some new toys in there (or maybe toss in a few wicker balls if he won't let you place stuff in the cage). For bonding and getting him used to you I'd say sit by the cage while doing something, and hand feed him as much as possible (even if it's just apples). Some birds are just more timid than others 🤷‍♀️ Like Kiwi&Zeus said you probably want to introduce some other fruits to see if he likes any of those. Maybe try sweet potato, my conure loves sweet potato lol (make sure it's cooked though)

If you're worried about boredom you might want to put some new toys in there (or maybe toss in a few wicker balls if he won't let you place stuff in the cage). For bonding and getting him used to you I'd say sit by the cage while doing something, and hand feed him as much as possible (even if it's just apples). Some birds are just more timid than others 🤷‍♀️ Like Kiwi&Zeus said you probably want to introduce some other fruits to see if he likes any of those. Maybe try sweet potato, my conure loves sweet potato lol (make sure it's cooked though)
My parrots love sweet potatoes as well. But in most things they have different culinary expectations. ❣️
Try dried grapes or raisins called Kishmish. This is another treat they love though I give it seldom.

Try safflower seeds... my 2 green cheeks love them and will do just about anything for them... great for training treats

Try safflower seeds... my 2 green cheeks love them and will do just about anything for them... great for training treats
They sound real fun - will give them a try

Most Reactions

Back