Wiffle Ball Scare!

GaleriaGila

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
The Rb had a near-disaster yesterday. I have long given him wiffle balls to chase and chew... never had a problem until yesterday. He chewed holes in this one, as usual, and then managed to stick his foot through the big hole, and then on through the smaller one, with his toes finding their way backwards trough outer holes. Hard to describe, but suffice to say that he was peg-legging around the bottom of the cage in circles, dragging and thumping the ball which was lodged and locked halfway up his right leg. I heard a banging noise and ran to check. I'll never know how I did it, but I pinned him against the grate and worked that ball off his foot. He was fine.
No more wiffle balls.
Here's the culprit, now in the trash.

Attachments

• wiffle.jpg
    wiffle.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 7
The Rb had a near-disaster yesterday. I have long given him wiffle balls to chase and chew... never had a problem until yesterday. He chewed holes in this one, as usual, and then managed to stick his foot through the big hole, and then on through the smaller one, with his toes finding their way backwards trough outer holes. Hard to describe, but suffice to say that he was peg-legging around the bottom of the cage in circles, dragging and thumping the ball which was lodged and locked halfway up his right leg. I heard a banging noise and ran to check. I'll never know how I did it, but I pinned him against the grate and worked that ball off his foot. He was fine.
No more wiffle balls.
Here's the culprit, now in the trash.
Is there nothing that bird won't do to keep you from paying any attention to anyone or anything else other than him?? I'm so glad you were there to rescue him though, he is one lucky wiffle ball draggin', peg legged birdie to have such an awesome mom as you!!💝

Glad everything worked out well.
I have a number of wiffle balls for toys.
My birds just throw them around not so much chew on them.

Is there nothing that bird won't do to keep you from paying any attention to anyone or anything else other than him?? I'm so glad you were there to rescue him though, he is one lucky wiffle ball draggin', peg legged birdie to have such an awesome mom as you!!💝
Thanks, Marty. You're so right. The experience was more traumatic for me than the Rb. I was so brain-fried after that... I had to take a stress-nap (I'm retired; I can do that)... and had a nightmare about it.
I've recovered enough now such that I can marvel and chuckle, remembering the sight of him hip-hopping and bonking around with that ball on his foot. Good grief.

Glad everything worked out well.
I have a number of wiffle balls for toys.
My birds just throw them around not so much chew on them.
He ALWAYS chewed them... I thought it was harmless after I was confident that he wasn't ingesting it. Tex, I'm so paranoid. I always imagine ANY danger that ANY toy or activity might cause, and then I delete it. I know that the Rb has had a very diminished life because of that, but, hey, I did what I did. It amazes me that this wiffle-thing evaded my fertile paranoid imagination. Imagine if he had been left for hours or overnight with that wheel-lock ball on his foot. EEEEK!

Most Reactions

Back