Why are parrots so strange?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Sun Conure: Charlie (male)
Yesterday I had Nico (Ekkie) outside while I was gardening. Nico canā€™t fly he has a broken wing. Even if he could fly heā€™s a stage 5 clinger. Anyways back to the experience I had. There was a bumble bee flying around that caught Nicoā€™s eye. He jumped down, and dashed through the yard chasing it. Iā€™ve never seen him move that fast. EVER! Why? Just why? šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

Rb TALK.jpg

"People are nuts They aren't even avians. They come out of other people. They used to be moneys or maybe aliens.
They're nuts."

Parrots are nuts. They aren't even mammals. They come from eggs. They used to be dinosaurs.
They're nuts.
Nico did look like a lion trying to catch its prey. It was just strange because Nico waddles, and never has fast movements. Then out of the blue he turned into a road runner. Not sure what he thinks he was going to do with a bumblebee even if he did catch it.

Parrots are nuts šŸ„œ who just randomly starts chasing bumblebees? šŸ

Rickeybird makes an interesting point and his views are likely shared by lots of other birds. I imagine that our parrots think that it's we humans who are nuts and they're the normal ones. :D
I know, and Iā€™m out voted in my house. Itā€™s 3 birds vs me.

I know Salty usually waddles, but when we are training, and he kinda saunters around, I'll say 'run, run, run,' and he beats feet and skedaddles right along! And if we are having pizza, well you have never seen a parrot run, FAST, along a chain, down a wire and more chain, all to collect his little bite of crust.

All my larger parrots are obsessed with feet and socks they def are crazy lil dudes
I sometimes wonder if my birds think my head is me, and everything else like arms and feet are just the tree in which my head sits. Except my youngest bird also tries to climb my head by sticking his toe in my ear hole. He also treats my upper body like a jungle gym. Lately he has been swinging off the back of my shirt where I canā€™t grab him easily. You donā€™t really see them try to climb up other birds like they are a branch. Probably because they would get ā€œcorrectedā€ instantly. But I guess it makes them happy, which is usually the main thing for me!

I sometimes wonder if my birds think my head is me, and everything else like arms and feet are just the tree in which my head sits. Except my youngest bird also tries to climb my head by sticking his toe in my ear hole. He also treats my upper body like a jungle gym. Lately he has been swinging off the back of my shirt where I canā€™t grab him easily. You donā€™t really see them try to climb up other birds like they are a branch. Probably because they would get ā€œcorrectedā€ instantly. But I guess it makes them happy, which is usually the main thing for me!
I have heard this theory (the head being YOU, perched on a strange tree that has hands ad stuff) by some learned ornithologists! Makes sense!

So, another odd experienceā€¦

I stopped at a Gyro shop to get one, and baklava. I really enjoy baklava. Nico is on my shoulder for a 4 hour car ride. He lost it when he seen the nuts in the baklava. He crawled down my shoulders to try to get to it. He snipped at me, and started screaming bloody murder. It was the end of the world! Nico can be quite the drama king, and over baklava šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø who wants to argue with a parrot over baklava?

IMG_1780.jpeg

No he doesnā€™t look sorry for trying to bite me for not letting him eat baklava šŸ˜‚

I would probably relent, especially if I was trying to drive. But my youngster Grey is so bonded to me that I canā€™t cook anything or open the fridge in his presence without him investigating everything I touch. If I touch an object he has ignored like it didnā€™t exist for months suddenly it is the only thing he wants. The second the fridge door opens he is on it ready to jump into the fridge to investigate When I make coffee with the espresso machine he edges out onto my hand to get involved with everything. The process of foaming the milk drives him into paroxysms of enthusiasm as if I was preparing the best parrot treat in the galaxy just for him. He HAS to try it, and of course I never let him. Instead of filing that experience away into the ā€œnot gonna happenā€ category like a less goofball parrot he becomes even more obsessed. Maybe he will mellow with age, but it is so bad that if am cooking or doing anything involved I have to close the door to the ā€œbird roomā€ first. Even putting dishes into the washer gets him going. But I try to remember, to paraphrase Oscar Wilde, ā€œthe only thing worse that a curious parrot is a non-curious parrotā€.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back