What's the best time for the first vet visit for a conure?

Marianne-in-hoian

Oct 2, 2024
Hello all!

My daughter is getting her first bird in a few weeks. A conure, either a green cheek or a sun, not sure yet. We are an expat family living in central Vietnam, we have been here a very long time and probably will stay here an equally long time.
There are no bird rescues that I know of here so we find ourselves having to resort to a breeder. I would have preferred to adopt a bird, but that's how it is.
We will get the new addition to the family in a few weeks and because everything is quite far from our house, I was wondering when would best for the bird: seeing the vet straight after the breeder (the vet is not far) or let the bird adjust at home for a few weeks first to let it decompress before more stress? Basically my question is what is best for the well being of the bird: a lot of stress all in one go and then chill or a little stress (moving from the breeder's, only place it has known all its life, to an unknown environment-our home) get used to it and then a little stress for the vet visit?
It may sound like a weird question, I know, but I am all for causing as little distress for animals as possible.
Please wise ones, help me!
Ps I'll be asking more questions on other threads later related to safe wood, best cage... so keep an eye out for me, I am full of questions!
Thank you

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back