What type of Amazon makes the best pet ?

Been a long time since I've posted anything, but everyone always forgets about the spunky White Fronted Amazons! Mine definitely has ALL of the personality of the bigger Zons, but with a much more manageable size. Totally thinks he's a lady's man and will take any chance he can get to pin those eyes and flare his tail for some attention from them. Not much of a talker, but big into sound effects.

He's very much a one person bird, though. He will tolerate other people as long as I'm not around, but he never really warms up to them much. I wouldn't go to far as to say he's cuddly, but he has his moments where he's itching for that kind of attention.

Well like what are some of the more mellow species ?

Generally the most mild mannered are Lilac Crowned Amazons, yellow crowns, and Mealey's. Red loreds can be very mild mannered, but they are also shy birds, which means do have a tendency to fear bite until they get to know you...

But then the sweetest bird I ever owned was a Blue Front, which is normally one of the "Hot 3's" that have the reputation for "excitability" and territrorialism (or with a zon is it terror-torialism?) during breeding season.

Our OWA speaks and makes sound effects, but not as well as our DYH. However, he is generally more amenable to handling by people other than his "favorite person" and loves head scratches. He especially loves children and is easily handled by even really little kids. Our DYH is a much better talker, more playful, and more active, but he is a challenge to handle, even for his favorite person, and will be unruly/aggressive with others. I handle him regularly to mantain a good relationship, but it's much more of a challenge. That said, I'm not scared of him and I love him for the bird he is, so I wouldn't change him.

Maybe a pionus? They are a more easy going version of an amazon. :) I have little experience with Amazons though so I can not truly compare them. I am passing along what I have been told (I own a lovely little Pionus boy and a Senegal). My pionus does not fit the traditional personality type though in that he is loud (for a Pi), active, and a bit cuddly.

My yellow-naped (in my avatar) is certainly cuddly - he LOVES being petted, neck rubs, toe tickles, etc. HOWEVER - he IS a one-person bird (as per their reputation). He also loves to play games ("Chase me! Chase me! Tweak my tail!" seems to be his favorite). At the moment he's in his hormonal phase so, when he's getting "amorous", I put him back in his cage and let him work it out alone. After a few minutes, all is back to normal.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back