What Species Of Amazon Would You Consider The Friendliest Or Most Easy Going?

What about lilac crowned amazons? I've never owned one, but I often hear about how they are the most even tempered and well mannered of the amazons.

Let's see....I'm sure I'll be forgetting plenty of them, but I'll have a go at Amazons I've seen available. :)

Yellow Naped Amazons
Yellow Crowned Amazons
Double Yellow Headed Amazons
Panama Amazons
Blue Fronted Amazons
Mexican Redheaded Amazons
Lilac Crowned Amazons
Spectacled (White Fronted) Amazons
Cuban Amazons
Hispanolian Amazons
Puerto Rican Amazons
Red Lored Amazons
Tucuman Amazons
Orange Winged Amazons
Mealy Amazons
......that's all I can think of at the moment. :32:

Wow Wendy! Double Thank you! LOL! That is quite the list. I knew there must be a huge list as I keep hearing more and more species I never heard of before. Thanks again. I will keep this list for a good reference. I think you named at least all the most popular and then some! ;)

One last questions - which are the hot 3. The first 3 you listed?

Hot 3= Double yellow head, yellow nape, blue fronts

Thank you Kiwibird! ;)

Thank you Kiwibird! ;)

Shall we assume you'll be 'announcing' a new flock member of the stocky green variety in the next few months:54:

LOL! I highly doubt it! My hubby would kill me. Maybe in a few years or so. I'm working on getting him to catch the birdie bug, then we shall see. LOL! He is loving Sidney, so you never know! Hee Hee!

To answer your question Blanca, I don't go and visit "Terry" the Cuban, but I hear of her through the shop owner who placed her on consignment and reassured me she'd only get the most appropriate home. This shop owner goes to the house and grooms all the parrots :).

I bet you love that she is close by. Do you ever go and visit?

I don't visit, but I do love to hear about her. I hear through the shop owner who placed her on consignment. She promised she'd only go to the most appropriate home, and where she would this time 'pick' her new owner. She held to her promise :). This shop owner goes to the owner's home to groom all the birds regularly.

I don't visit, but I do love to hear about her. I hear through the shop owner who placed her on consignment. She promised she'd only go to the most appropriate home, and where she would this time 'pick' her new owner. She held to her promise :). This shop owner goes to the owner's home to groom all the birds regularly.

Well at least you get to hear about her through the grapevine. Sounds like the shop keeper is super nice and cares about the birds she has in her possession.

Well at least you get to hear about her through the grapevine. Sounds like the shop keeper is super nice and cares about the birds she has in her possession.

She IS super nice. I can tell she is not just 100% about the money, because if she did business differently she could be making a lot more. At least half the store sometimes is birds to rehome. She is like part retail bird store, part rescue. Her heart is definitely in the right place, but the only thing that makes me worry about her practices is that when she took Terry in, she didn't place her in quarantine or anything. She just 'trusted' that Terry didn't have anything. I buy stuff there sometimes, and it makes me think 'ugh I better sanitize this...'

I agree with everyone else about which are the friendliest. The shelter has had two spectacle amazons that were friendly too. One had a huge personality and attitude but still was adopted by a kid and his family.

I'm partial to the hot 3 though...there was a joke at the shelter for a little while that I was going to take over the world with angry amazon minions. For some reason a lot of the yellow napes and blue fronts that came in for awhile were partial to me. Plus, I have my angry yellow nape Kelly...I'd probably only need him to take over the world:D

Hi
I am new to this forum... But can anyone tell me what are the "hot 3" and their personalities? I was reading a forum and there are so much I am still learning. Just figured out BFA = blue front amazon >.< hehe

Hi
I am new to this forum... But can anyone tell me what are the "hot 3" and their personalities? I was reading a forum and there are so much I am still learning. Just figured out BFA = blue front amazon >.< hehe

"Hot 3" amazons tend to experience a more dramatic puberty and more dramatic hormonal periods throughout their lives. They can become rather hot tempered:) and as one might logically expect, begin to develop a different personality as a adult bird than when they were a juvenile (starting around 4-6 years old). They typically go through a several year period when they have very bad hormones, before calming down and only experiencing it annually (it's similar to a kid entering their teen years). Males do tend to get it worse than females. That isn't to say they make bad pets, because that is not true or fair. The hot 3 zons make WONDERFUL companions. It ALL depends on how the owner handles it when they hit puberty as they can be worked with, trained and handled safely. The 'horror' stories you hear about hot 3 zons are really more owner-caused issues than they are the birds.

She IS super nice. I can tell she is not just 100% about the money, because if she did business differently she could be making a lot more. At least half the store sometimes is birds to rehome. She is like part retail bird store, part rescue. Her heart is definitely in the right place, but the only thing that makes me worry about her practices is that when she took Terry in, she didn't place her in quarantine or anything. She just 'trusted' that Terry didn't have anything. I buy stuff there sometimes, and it makes me think 'ugh I better sanitize this...'

I think that what cocern me, too. She means well but that is very risky!

I agree with everyone else about which are the friendliest. The shelter has had two spectacle amazons that were friendly too. One had a huge personality and attitude but still was adopted by a kid and his family.

I'm partial to the hot 3 though...there was a joke at the shelter for a little while that I was going to take over the world with angry amazon minions. For some reason a lot of the yellow napes and blue fronts that came in for awhile were partial to me. Plus, I have my angry yellow nape Kelly...I'd probably only need him to take over the world:D

Lol! Sounds like Amazon's have a thing for you! ;)

Hi

There are soo many subspecies! [emoji33] It's a lot to take in!

Hi

"Hot 3" amazons tend to experience a more dramatic puberty and more dramatic hormonal periods throughout their lives. They can become rather hot tempered:) and as one might logically expect, begin to develop a different personality as a adult bird than when they were a juvenile (starting around 4-6 years old). They typically go through a several year period when they have very bad hormones, before calming down and only experiencing it annually (it's similar to a kid entering their teen years). Males do tend to get it worse than females. That isn't to say they make bad pets, because that is not true or fair. The hot 3 zons make WONDERFUL companions. It ALL depends on how the owner handles it when they hit puberty as they can be worked with, trained and handled safely. The 'horror' stories you hear about hot 3 zons are really more owner-caused issues than they are the birds.

Great info and perspective Kiwibird! Thanks for the insight! :)

Most Reactions

Back