What Species Of Amazon Would You Consider The Friendliest Or Most Easy Going?

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Ok, first off, I have no plans to go out and adopt an amazon any time soon. LOL! But I have been very intrigued by them lately. I never had an interest in owning one, but after seeing all the great guys & gals on the forum, I am finding myself more and more intrigued!

So just for fun sake, for all you Amazon owners out there, which species of Amazon do you think is the most easy going or friendly? I'm just curious you know, because you never know what I may come across someday in the far far future. :54:;) :rolleyes:

And I do realize that each bird will have it's own personality, but I was just curious to know if there are friendlier species over another. Thanks for the input. :)

Uh oh! You are starting to remind me of me LOL...These kinds of questions are usually a sign that you already want one;) Can't blame you though...my want list is more like a scroll :D

I would start right out with one of the "HOT 3" . You have a Grey and rehomed Macaws [you would be ready for any:)].Im so glad I just jumped right in [I would have missed out]. They are so smart and interactive . Like all species rolled into one :) Id say a female Dbl yellow head [Ive had 2 :)].

I won't speak for Henpecked, but we have both voted for Panama Amazons on occasion. I've heard others say Mealys are sweet. Two of the sweetest 'Zons I know are hens - a Yellow Nape & a Blue Front.

I adore my Yellow Crown - he is sweet for whoever he loves [not so much for anyone else].

Obviously you already know its the individual, not the species. I've already given a shout out to BFA hens. But the one currently residing in my living room isn't one I'd actually term sweet right now. In the future, I think, but definitely not now.

Uh oh! You are starting to remind me of me LOL...These kinds of questions are usually a sign that you already want one;) Can't blame you though...my want list is more like a scroll :D

It's a sickness you know! ;) [emoji12]

I would start right out with one of the "HOT 3" . You have a Grey and rehomed Macaws [you would be ready for any:)].Im so glad I just jumped right in [I would have missed out]. They are so smart and interactive . Like all species rolled into one :) Id say a female Dbl yellow head [Ive had 2 :)].

So very true! I love my Grey & Macs! Females seem to be a good choice with Amazon's.

I won't speak for Henpecked, but we have both voted for Panama Amazons on occasion. I've heard others say Mealys are sweet. Two of the sweetest 'Zons I know are hens - a Yellow Nape & a Blue Front.

I adore my Yellow Crown - he is sweet for whoever he loves [not so much for anyone else].

Obviously you already know its the individual, not the species. I've already given a shout out to BFA hens. But the one currently residing in my living room isn't one I'd actually term sweet right now. In the future, I think, but definitely not now.

Lol! I know how that is. My Grey can be one cranky dude! Lol! Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited:
I adore my girl. Her DNA paper says blue front but henpecked thought she was a dyh/yna hybrid I think.

Didn't matter to me :)

I adore my girl. Her DNA paper says blue front but henpecked thought she was a dyh/yna hybrid I think.

Didn't matter to me :)
See, this is why I am building an interest. So many of you just love your Amazon's! :) They seem like so much fun, too!
Am going to follow this thread with keen interest!
Ha Ha, someone else thinking about it, too...hmmmm? ;)

My girl is so interactive... I desperately want to get her to tolerate her harness but that's still a work in progress.
She chats with me, eats everything, doesn't bite, doesn't seem what I consider loud (but animal should make noise to me so my tolerance is pretty high... But she really doesn't scream). Super fun bird.

My CAG is my stubborn boy. Had him for 15 years now and I don't think it will ever get him in a harness. Lol! But he is NOT touchy feely! Lol! I'm sure you will get there. Sounds like you have a great girl. ;)

Off of craigslist too :)

Oh, nice to know! ;) That is most likely how I will end up with one. A rehome or rescue. ;)

I had gone back and forth with the owner but she wouldn't take my offer. She finally did take it (after I put my deposit on my baby gcc of course...) and they contact me every once in awhile... Twice so far since I brought her home. So they did love her.

The mexican red heads. My mom's is the sweetest bird on the face of the planet. He's never bitten, will go to anyone, quiet, Barney is just a really good bird.

The sweetest amazon I have ever met is a YNA but I'm sure she is a rarity :). I hear lovely things about Lilac Crowned 'zons!

I had a Cuban Amazon, and I had her through maturity... she stayed fairly quiet, on the gentle and shy side, not really like what you hear of a typical Amazon personality. Despite her introvertedness, she thrived in a busy environment. She still lives near me with a bunch of other parrots in an active busy household and is very happy.

I would say Panamas are the friendliest (in general). :) Then there's my Hunter, who's extraordinarily sweet for a YN girl. :D

And Blanca, you would do well with ANY Amazon - really! :D

#1 choice is hen panama. OWAs I have a weakness for, they get along well with most any situation and other birds. I have several hen napes who are very sweet and cuddly and some who aren't. AND while we're on the subject,,,(don't mean to cause a ruckus and start an uproar) the reason the 'hot 3' have a bad reputation is because (IMO) they are more intelligent /socially structured than other zons. The Panamas are the "middle ground" between the Hot 3 and the more mild mannered species. They are still very good talkers with all the characteristics of the other more popular Yellow Front subspecies.

I had gone back and forth with the owner but she wouldn't take my offer. She finally did take it (after I put my deposit on my baby gcc of course...) and they contact me every once in awhile... Twice so far since I brought her home. So they did love her.

Both my Mac owners still contact me now and then. I do like that they check in because I know they loved them. :) My Coqui was kind of the same situation as yours. We already agreed to adopt the Linnies then we decided to unexpectedly adopt Coqui, too. I went from 1 to 5 birds in a year! :eek: But it all worked out in the end! ;)

The mexican red heads. My mom's is the sweetest bird on the face of the planet. He's never bitten, will go to anyone, quiet, Barney is just a really good bird.

I am amazed just how many species of Amazons there is! :eek:

The sweetest amazon I have ever met is a YNA but I'm sure she is a rarity . I hear lovely things about Lilac Crowned 'zons!

Never heard of the lilac crowned! Thanks for the info!

I had a Cuban Amazon, and I had her through maturity... she stayed fairly quiet, on the gentle and shy side, not really like what you hear of a typical Amazon personality. Despite her introvertedness, she thrived in a busy environment. She still lives near me with a bunch of other parrots in an active busy household and is very happy.

I bet you love that she is close by. Do you ever go and visit?

I would say Panamas are the friendliest (in general). Then there's my Hunter, who's extraordinarily sweet for a YN girl.

And Blanca, you would do well with ANY Amazon - really!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Wendy! ;) I am sure I would be fine either way, but it's nice to know about the different species and to learn more about them. I have no plans any time soon of adopting an Amazon. Unless my hubby catches the birdie bug and wants another. I'm thinking it would be a few years before I even consider another bird. ;) But I wanted to learn more now because they have really sparked my interest recently. I see so many of them out there that need a good home. And maybe, just maybe, I could give one of those sweet birds a home one day. ;) And hey, why not? Right? We are all continuously learning and growing our bird knowledge! :D

#1 choice is hen panama. OWAs I have a weakness for, they get along well with most any situation and other birds. I have several hen napes who are very sweet and cuddly and some who aren't. AND while we're on the subject,,,(don't mean to cause a ruckus and start an uproar) the reason the 'hot 3' have a bad reputation is because (IMO) they are more intelligent /socially structured than other zons. The Panamas are the "middle ground" between the Hot 3 and the more mild mannered species. They are still very good talkers with all the characteristics of the other more popular Yellow Front subspecies.

The reason for the "hot 3" makes perfect sense to me Henpecked! I've heard great things about Panamas. I was hoping you would hop on here and give me your input. Thank you for doing so! ;)

So speaking of which...just how many species of Amazons are there available?

Could anyone list them for me here. Just the ones that you see as pets are fine. And if you can give me the full name rather then the acronyms that would be easier for me. LOL! ;)

Most Reactions

Back