what parrot should i get? (i really want a macaw)

Oct 22, 2024
Parrots
none yet :,<
Hello! i am new to the forums, for years now ive been looking to purchase a parrot ever since i took in some rescue parakeets (along with other species) in 2021, But have been stumped on which species/subspecies to purchase. Originally i was thinking of a blue and gold macaw, monk parakeet/Quaker parrot or most likely a blue fronted amazon. Although, in the recent months ive come to realise that the BFA may not suit my lifestyle/needs and since i read through the forums for advice often i thought i might ask myself since i haven't found any threads that match my questions. To start, i am willing to spend quite a bit to ensure my parrot lives the life he/she deserves, i am looking for a intelligent bird i can train freeflight along with a variety of tricks/commands. I would really like a bird that can mimic speech but don't need it, i have a preference for a large/larger parrot ( i just really love the size) My bird needs to like affection, i would really like a deep bond with my bird that wants to cuddle and go on walks outdoors (i really want to be my birds one and only) but it would have to be comfortable being in its cage for 4 hours while i work but will be out the rest. If you have any advice on nutrition or care or have a species you think would suit me better feel free to let me know ( and if you think a Blue and gold macaw/ Quaker would suit me)

Hello! i am new to the forums, for years now ive been looking to purchase a parrot ever since i took in some rescue parakeets (along with other species) in 2021, But have been stumped on which species/subspecies to purchase. Originally i was thinking of a blue and gold macaw, monk parakeet/Quaker parrot or most likely a blue fronted amazon. Although, in the recent months ive come to realise that the BFA may not suit my lifestyle/needs and since i read through the forums for advice often i thought i might ask myself since i haven't found any threads that match my questions. To start, i am willing to spend quite a bit to ensure my parrot lives the life he/she deserves, i am looking for a intelligent bird i can train freeflight along with a variety of tricks/commands. I would really like a bird that can mimic speech but don't need it, i have a preference for a large/larger parrot ( i just really love the size) My bird needs to like affection, i would really like a deep bond with my bird that wants to cuddle and go on walks outdoors (i really want to be my birds one and only) but it would have to be comfortable being in its cage for 4 hours while i work but will be out the rest. If you have any advice on nutrition or care or have a species you think would suit me better feel free to let me know ( and if you think a Blue and gold macaw/ Quaker would suit me)
Hi there,

I would recommend anyone in your situation to visit a local parrot shelter to be around parrots to gather as much information as possible.

Parrots arenā€™t like a cat or dog. They do not thrive off pleasing their human companions. Some parrots like snuggling, and others do not. They all have different personalities. Humans are slaves to their parrots. I can feed my dogs anything. They arenā€™t picky choosy. All 3 of my parrots are very particular about their food. One of them will toss their bowl if they donā€™t like what they are being served. I have a parrot who bonded to me, and he seeks out others for biting. Heā€™s very hormonal. All of these things make a parrot high maintenance.

If you want a personal lifeā€¦ get a dog! I promise itā€™s much easier, and they do tend to like to please their owners. My parrots think Iā€™m their slave!

As other people on this forum have suggested, oftentimes the best way to find a parrot is to visit a rescue and let the parrot pick you! It may be a species that you never thought you wanted but if itā€™s ā€œ the oneā€ youā€™ll find that doesnā€™t matter. Parrots definitely do take over your life though, especially the bigger ones. I found the transition from budgies to Quaker to be pretty bumpy initially though we eventually settled into a good routine ( with a few life changes on my part, lol!)

I grew up in a bird household. My mother had a blue parakeet when I was very small. My neighbor gave me a green parakeet when I was 5. I loved him for 8 years and was heartbroken when he flew into a window and died in my hands.

Meanwhile, we had a mynah bird, eclectus, Amazon and cockatiel in the house (as well as dogs). I always wanted a macaw and the opportunity to acquire a blue and gold macaw presented itself when I was a teenager. I had no expectations of a talking, roller skating, basketball playing bird. I just wanted a loving pet.

I am now a senior citizen and the proud mother of a senior citizen psittacine. I lucked out and got an absolute love bug. I am blessed in that he is quiet 99.8% of the time. Squawks are so rare that we record them in the calendar. The last time he had an outburst was 5 months ago! He makes cute little croaky noises which are very pleasant to listen to and he talks a little bit, but I would not classify him as a talker. A talker is a squawker. Choose carefully!

My bird is pretty easy to care for, but I have had nearly 50 years of practice to get the system down. šŸ˜œ The biggest hassle IMO is having to take him to the avian vet (5 miles away) for boarding when we travel. It gets expensive with the medical exams and tests required before boarding, but it is still cheaper than boarding a dog.

Birds have different personalities and you never really know what you are going to get. You have to be willing to accept and work with whatever you getā€”just like having a child!

Last edited:
"My parrots think Iā€™m their slave!"

This is so true my two parrots have two full grown adults to care for them and it is difficult to imagine them getting less.

Read as much on this forum too and learn about all the pitfalls and keep asking questions.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back