weaning cage?

denise3mom

Sep 1, 2012
Emma came home in a tank with bedding and he said to keep her in there for a while he said she is 12 weeks she is fully feathered and will flap ... question what age did you guys put you baby cag in a cage ? Did you first use a weaning cage? Or right to there bigger cage . I will give a link to her cage Bentley Bird Cage - Presented by BirdsComfort.com Should I buy a weaning cage ? Also I dont wanna be pariniod but after all I went thru with Charlie I noticed this morning that Emma is missing a toenail on the front od her left foot she isnt great at perching yet awkward but she seems to favor standing on the foot without the missing toenail she doesnt seem as strong grip on the foot either when I make her perch on my hand (only did this a couple times ) Dont wanna overreact does that seem normal?

It's normal to be missing a toe if a parent bit it off. I also know that young greys tend to be very clumsy and may not perch very well when young so it may help to have platform perches.

With all you went through with Charlie, it would have made more sense to me if you brought home a fully weaned grey...

SOO TRUEE!! I know it she is 12 weeks and is on 2 feedings I do like that I can can wean her on the best foods he weans on seed so plus on that side .Hoping her foot is feeling better soon

How did Emma lose her toenail? Is the entire nail gone or just the majority of it? The toe isn't infected, red, or swollen in any way, is it?

Depending on how she lost the nail, it may never grow back.

As far as a weaning cage, here are some pictures of how I "furnished" my cage for my Amazon baby (he was 8 weeks when he arrived). Hope this helps.

IMG_5014.jpg

IMG_5012.jpg

What a great idea!! Is that the bottom tray you are using and lying it over the food bowl cups? I called the man I got her from and he said se had all toe nails when he clipped them on tuesday she was in a tank so i didnt see she was on the chest and nails were real sharp and he pulled her off my sweater there is no blood at all around doesnt look infected at all .He said they could pop off with no blood at all Hope he is being honest with me

No, it's not the bottom tray (that didn't quite fit, we tried it). It's a piece of wood that sits on the food dishes. I then lined the wood with soft towels and paper towels on top.

Baby birds are clumsy, and that way if he falls, he never falls deep :)

As baby gets a little older and less clumsy, I lowered the wooden shelf by using thin, long pieces of wood going through the cage first, and resting the shelf on top of them.

Great! you got me to do the same for my cage now she has alot more room to stretch Thanks for the great idea!

Love the idea, some baby's lose their toes,it just make its harder to balance.

I cant believe i am writing this .. When i went to get Emma up this morning I went to pick her up and her feet were in a tight ball her head was shaking like she was having a seizure I scooped her up crying my eyes out got in the car to get to the store she died on my lap within 10 mins I have no words ..............

WHAT??!?!?? Oh My Gosh. I am soooo sorry to hear this. I, just cant even tell you. Again I am so sorry. I wonder what happened. :(

WHAT!? What happened? Poor girl,only a baby. Will you take her to the vet for a biopsy ? So sorry, I just thought it was nothing. I don't know if it was related to the toes. Is this your only bird ? I feel really sad and completely shocked.:(:eek: was she lie using on the floor when it happened? It mightev been a seizure.

Last edited:
I have had birds for 20 years never has anything like this happened I have a flock now ,a tiel ,canary and finch along with 2 pairs of greys I am beyond heartbroken ....no more form me :( It seemed like a seziure she was in the tank that she came home in just 3 days ago ... Her feet were cold and in a tight ball with her head shaking Dont know what elese to say ....

I cant believe i am writing this .. When i went to get Emma up this morning I went to pick her up and her feet were in a tight ball her head was shaking like she was having a seizure I scooped her up crying my eyes out got in the car to get to the store she died on my lap within 10 mins I have no words ..............

:(:( OMG!

Hugs to you!! I'm speechless and SO sad about your sudden, unexplainable, most tragic loss. :(:(

Denise,

how horrible. You have been hit hard. Poor Emma, so sad. Rest in piece, little girl.

I'm so sorry to hear about Emma!!!! My condolences to you!

I hate to bring this up, but have you spoken with the shop owner? I mean, first off, Charlie with his plucking problems, and then poor Emma's passing... that's more than anyone should have to go through, and I can only imagine your heart ache!

My husband called him ..he said to call Monday morning we didnt have to bring her body to him :( it is beyond heartbreak I truely cant believe it

Most Reactions

Back