Vets?

kanundra

Apr 25, 2013
Lancashire
Parrots
IRN blue
So not too sure about the vet I booked Bobby in for next Wed. Recommended by a friend. But the appointment is only 10 mins? Surely that isn't anywhere near long enough. I thought that they needed so much extra time to look over and talk to bird owners?

What are your experience with vets? I do have another option which is 40 mins from me, compared to this one who is 5 mins away....

Yes, you would think that an examination would take a bit longer.....

Maybe it would be worth a phone call to the office of both vets & inquire as to what procedures are performed on such visits.....

Well I rang both, spoke to one receptionist who wasn't too helpful. But it seems that both times are 10 or 15 mins.

The 10 min appointment I've got for next wed, so I guess we'll see what happens. It's 5 mins down the road.

For the 15 min one, I'd have a 50 min drive so I'll give the local vet a try first. I have known them a long, long time and they were highly recommended by my friend who owned several Macaws, so... will see.

Will report back though on how we get on, and how Bobby actually is.

At present he's munching on his mop head. Working off some frustration. I'm off to a big Parrot shop over the weekend and will be making him some more foraging toys to play with tomorrow.

I know it's probably nothing too much to worry about. But also would like to take him in eventually for some tests, before we even think about bringing another bird home. :)

Thanks for the replies. much appreciated.

Most times when a general appointment is made a window of approx 15 min is given, but a good vet will take the time it takes. That's why we often have to wait in the reception area because vet is running behind.

The actual physical exam and weigh in only takes a few minutes, even a blood draw doesn't take long.

I wouldn't worry too much about what the receptionist said at this point, go see the vet that you prefer and then decide if he/she was a good fit for you, did they do what they needed to do, do you find them educated, professional, do you trust them, did they answer your questions and take the time needed to do so.

Just spotted this but I was wondering since you're in Lancashire, which vets do you visit? I know of a lovely Vet who deals with birds, who might be within a reasonable distance for you :)

Also, how did it go! :)

The Vet said lots of nice things. Although Bobby didn't like being grabbed. Bless.

His last bent feather was a blood one, and the one next to it, which he bent the week before. So the Vet had to pull them. Hence why he only had one left. Which he bent this morning and then chewed off.

I'm sure it's the position of his perch, as it's the feathers nearest to the bars which he bent. But he flaps everywhere he can grip in the cage, on his toys, his mop head, his perchs. Even outside on his other perches.

He just likes to exercise them. I just need to make sure it's not going to un balance him now with the three big ones gone from one side.

Most Reactions

Back