Turquoise parrot question

Jcg

Apr 26, 2024
Hi, we just rescued an 8 month old male Turk , who we were told was hand raised but once owners got him in November was never taken out of the cage or handled🙄.
He has settled in well free flying , landing on us eating from our hand. He is afraid of fingers so I know that will just take time. My question is every now and then he will lift his wings (not fully extended)and chirp continuously,it's like a baby bird trying to be fed,, he will let you pick him up,,, even though he wouldn't normally,, and will continue even while being held. I'm not sure why he does it ,is he just young and excited or is he stressed? Any advice would be much appreciated... we only have him a week and totally in love 😁

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi, we just rescued an 8 month old male Turk , who we were told was hand raised but once owners got him in November was never taken out of the cage or handled🙄.
He has settled in well free flying , landing on us eating from our hand. He is afraid of fingers so I know that will just take time. My question is every now and then he will lift his wings (not fully extended)and chirp continuously,it's like a baby bird trying to be fed,, he will let you pick him up,,, even though he wouldn't normally,, and will continue even while being held. I'm not sure why he does it ,is he just young and excited or is he stressed? Any advice would be much appreciated... we only have him a week and totally in love 😁
Welcome to the forums, @Jcg and your lovely little Turk! I'd love to see some photos please if you've got some to share! Oh and what's his name by the way? I'm not a keeper of the species but from what I can gather they reach sexual maturity around the age of one year, so your little guy is not likely to begging for food like a baby would, but certainly a little food bribery to help with the bonding process never goes astray :) And they're very closely related to Bourke's parrots too, so perhaps a few of our Bourkie owners may have some info for you too. Turks are such delightful little birds, I'm not a bit surprised you're in love already and I'd love to see those pics whenever you can!! 😍

Most Reactions