Traveling from US to Canada with Caique

JadeRQ

Sep 15, 2019
Hi guys!

I am planning to visit my husband up in Canada (Newfoundland, specifically) this year and would like to bring one of my caiques with me.

I plan to call around to CFIA, US Dept of Agriculture, and CITES Friday.

In the mean time I wanted to reach out to see if anyone had any recent experiences traveling to Canada with their bird!

Any advice or experiences you could share would be amazing! There isn't much out there online, and most of the forum posts are older, OR about moving permanently into Canada. I plan to document my whole process to hopefully help others in the future.

I am from West Virginia and the airport I'll be flying from is Pittsburgh, PA. Layover is usually in Minneapolis, MN or Atlanta, GA, then customs in Toronto, and arivving in St John's, NL. Minnesota is on the US list of restricted states due to HPAI, so I figure I will need to avoid flights with layovers there. Otherwise it seems I'll need an additional certificate from USDA

My biggest concerns are if I would need to quarantine with a vet for a long period of time going into or out of Canada.

I assume I will need an export permit from CITES, although this site doesn't list that as a requirement for travelling with pet birds.

Hi guys!

I am planning to visit my husband up in Canada (Newfoundland, specifically) this year and would like to bring one of my caiques with me.

I plan to call around to CFIA, US Dept of Agriculture, and CITES Friday.

In the mean time I wanted to reach out to see if anyone had any recent experiences traveling to Canada with their bird!

Any advice or experiences you could share would be amazing! There isn't much out there online, and most of the forum posts are older, OR about moving permanently into Canada. I plan to document my whole process to hopefully help others in the future.

I am from West Virginia and the airport I'll be flying from is Pittsburgh, PA. Layover is usually in Minneapolis, MN or Atlanta, GA, then customs in Toronto, and arivving in St John's, NL. Minnesota is on the US list of restricted states due to HPAI, so I figure I will need to avoid flights with layovers there. Otherwise it seems I'll need an additional certificate from USDA

My biggest concerns are if I would need to quarantine with a vet for a long period of time going into or out of Canada.

I assume I will need an export permit from CITES, although this site doesn't list that as a requirement for travelling with pet birds.
Howdy Fellow West Virginian!!

I found these links that may be helpful:

Pet Travel From the US to Canada

'Live birds' Section - US to Canada

Travel documents for your pets - Canada to US

Non-U.S. Origin Pet Bird Entering the U.S. from Canada

Best of luck!

Honestly, you will be putting a lot of stress on your bird. Twice - going and coming.
Sure he would not be better off with a bird sitter or at a vets for the trip? Since you cant take him in the cabin with you, think of all that stress being put into a cargo hold, the crazy amount of noise he will be subjected to, strangers handling his cage. Unless you're going for a few weeks, personally I;d leave him home.

Most Reactions

Back