Timneh Grey's Baby Behavior and Talking Delay

Cara.Olivier

Sep 8, 2024
Parrots
Timneh Grey
My Timneh Grey is 7 months old. He was fully weaned around 14 weeks and is on a balanced diet of pellets, fruits, and vegetables. However, he still displays baby-like behavior whenever a mug is around, especially the one I used during his formula feedings. I can’t make coffee without him getting excited as soon as the kettle boils or I grab a mug. He’s never had coffee but always tries to sneak a sip. Is this normal behavior for his age?

Also, he hasn’t started talking yet. I’ve read that Timneh Greys typically begin talking around 6 months, but he only whistles. Should I be concerned that he’s not talking yet? Is there anything I can do to encourage him to talk?

You must remember that each parrot is a bird unto themselves. Individuals. While most Greys may be talking by 6 months, some are late bloomers, some learn earlier - and some African Greys never talk at all! THey are like human babies. Each progresses at thier own pace, so dont worry about that.

As far as the baby behavior, its not a worry. IN fact many owners of parrots will feed some formula once in a while, like 3 times a year. ITs good for them and if you have to administer meds some time, its much easier to get them swallowed if mixed with baby parrot formula. My 9 yr old Amazon starts gulping like a chick and makes baby noises when we give him some formula!

You must remember that each parrot is a bird unto themselves. Individuals. While most Greys may be talking by 6 months, some are late bloomers, some learn earlier - and some African Greys never talk at all! THey are like human babies. Each progresses at thier own pace, so dont worry about that.

As far as the baby behavior, its not a worry. IN fact many owners of parrots will feed some formula once in a while, like 3 times a year. ITs good for them and if you have to administer meds some time, its much easier to get them swallowed if mixed with baby parrot formula. My 9 yr old Amazon starts gulping like a chick and makes baby noises when we give him some formula!
that's a great idea on giving formula periodically for meds! Thank you, good one :)

My Timneh Grey is 7 months old. He was fully weaned around 14 weeks and is on a balanced diet of pellets, fruits, and vegetables. However, he still displays baby-like behavior whenever a mug is around, especially the one I used during his formula feedings. I can’t make coffee without him getting excited as soon as the kettle boils or I grab a mug. He’s never had coffee but always tries to sneak a sip. Is this normal behavior for his age?

Also, he hasn’t started talking yet. I’ve read that Timneh Greys typically begin talking around 6 months, but he only whistles. Should I be concerned that he’s not talking yet? Is there anything I can do to encourage him to talk?
Hey there, I have an 18 month old CAG and she baby honked and head bobbed until she was 10 months old. She started saying some words at about 11 months but is still practicing. I would say just keep talking to him like a toddler and maybe he will talk and maybe he won't. It depends if he chooses to :)

Most Reactions

Back