Thinking of rehoming/surrendering my GC conure

Abbbb

Jul 10, 2024
Parrots
Conure
Hi, I am writing this post with a heavy heart so please bare with me. I got my green cheek conure back in august of 2019 from a family in NY (i live in central east NJ) that was rehoming their bird, I had taken an interest in parrots at that time and had done tons of research to make sure I knew what to do in case I did end up getting a parrot. By that time I had bought the bird from the family and named her tooie, the family had not taken good care of the bird as the cage was dirty, smelly and had a single toy in it. With that being said after I brought her home I allowed her to chill and fly wherever she needed to get accustomed to her home and while she did that I made sure to clean her cage and went out to get some new toys. That was 5 years ago, within that time I had formed a very deep and powerful bond with her, however as of 2 days ago she has become very bity. Due to my mom (her favorite person) traveling for a while (she wonā€™t be back till mid august), she has had to spend time with me alone since I am the only one home. With that being said suddenly two days ago she started biting me a lot, and bad (bleeding). She keeps confusing me as typically when a bird bites you, it is to keep you away, however she is doing the opposite, she will bite and when I put her back on the cage to leave her alone as a form of ā€œtime outā€ she will instantly try to fly on to me and start yelling out for me, even going on the ground and running after me. However if I try to pick her up she tries to bite me, my hand is filled with bite marks and my ears are also in danger. I donā€™t know what to do as I am also traveling in a few weeks and was originally going to leave her to a foster care while I was out however now I am thinking of fully rehoming her. I donā€™t know what to do Iā€™ve spent nearly both the last 2 days and all of today trying to figure out whatā€™s wrong and help her stop but nothing is working, I need help. What do I do? I donā€™t like the idea of rehoming her as I grew up with her over the last 5 years, but if it is whatā€™s best for the her then Iā€™ll ultimately have to do that. Please I am begging.

Last edited:
Its always hard to go through this. :( I would say DONT GIVE UP ON YOUR BIRD! This aggression could be due to hormones. I don't know much about this, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help. Good luck!

Its always hard to go through this. :( I would say DONT GIVE UP ON YOUR BIRD! This aggression could be due to hormones. I don't know much about this, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help. Good luck!
Iā€™ve been trying all the methods on stopping her biting as well as extra dark hours and diet in order to help if is hormones but nothing seems to be working. She keeps on yelling out for me and wanting to be on my shoulder but the. Sheā€™ll try to bite my ear/hair and if I try to have her step up sheā€™ll bite me finger, my whole hand is filled with bite marks (each one making me bleed) and I just donā€™t know what to do, Iā€™ve been breaking down as I am so lost and have no one to help me since I am home alone.

Hi, I am writing this post with a heavy heart so please bare with me. I got my green cheek conure back in august of 2019 from a family in NY (i live in central east NJ) that was rehoming their bird, I had taken an interest in parrots at that time and had done tons of research to make sure I knew what to do in case I did end up getting a parrot. By that time I had bought the bird from the family and named her tooie, the family had not taken good care of the bird as the cage was dirty, smelly and had a single toy in it. With that being said after I brought her home I allowed her to chill and fly wherever she needed to get accustomed to her home and while she did that I made sure to clean her cage and went out to get some new toys. That was 5 years ago, within that time I had formed a very deep and powerful bond with her, however as of 2 days ago she has become very bity. Due to my mom (her favorite person) traveling for a while (she wonā€™t be back till mid august), she has had to spend time with me alone since I am the only one home. With that being said suddenly two days ago she started biting me a lot, and bad (bleeding). She keeps confusing me as typically when a bird bites you, it is to keep you away, however she is doing the opposite, she will bite and when I put her back on the cage to leave her alone as a form of ā€œtime outā€ she will instantly try to fly on to me and start yelling out for me, even going on the ground and running after me. However if I try to pick her up she tries to bite me, my hand is filled with bite marks and my ears are also in danger. I donā€™t know what to do as I am also traveling in a few weeks and was originally going to leave her to a foster care while I was out however now I am thinking of fully rehoming her. I donā€™t know what to do Iā€™ve spent nearly both the last 2 days and all of today trying to figure out whatā€™s wrong and help her stop but nothing is working, I need help. What do I do? I donā€™t like the idea of rehoming her as I grew up with her over the last 5 years, but if it is whatā€™s best for the her then Iā€™ll ultimately have to do that. Please I am begging.
My GCCs did this before they started laying eggs. She may be seeing you as a mate. It was worse when I got back from the hospital and if I went anywhere in the direction of where the eggs were? I'm still massaging out the scar tissue.

You're doing the right thing by taking her off. Make sure to turn your back on her, as well. If she chases you: don't react. You may need to put her in her cage until she calms down. And once she calms down, welcome her back out of the cage.

In the mean time, hormonees or not: lower all extraneous fat and carbs in her diet. It will not only help get hormones back in balance, it will help reduce overall aggression. It will also make sure vitamins are better in balance.

That being said, don't give up on your baby. She's had a big change and right now the only thing she knows is you were there for the last one, too.

My GCCs did this before they started laying eggs. She may be seeing you as a mate. It was worse when I got back from the hospital and if I went anywhere in the direction of where the eggs were? I'm still massaging out the scar tissue.

You're doing the right thing by taking her off. Make sure to turn your back on her, as well. If she chases you: don't react. You may need to put her in her cage until she calms down. And once she calms down, welcome her back out of the cage.

In the mean time, hormonees or not: lower all extraneous fat and carbs in her diet. It will not only help get hormones back in balance, it will help reduce overall aggression. It will also make sure vitamins are better in balance.

That being said, don't give up on your baby. She's had a big change and right now the only thing she knows is you were there for the last one, too.
You donā€™t understand how much this post helped. I appreciate your input so much and will not give up on her. Thank you so much you are amazing. I will try to follow all your advice to the best.

Sounds like Tooie is taking her frustration out on you that your mom is gone and aggressively demanding you get her household back in order. GCā€™s are so bold. Sounds like you have quite a character on your hands. Have you tried distracting her with fun new situations? Like taking her on short trips even just outside. Fun Distractions would be good, even just watching the sunrise or sunset together. Crazy little kids ~ I love parrot psychology. Iā€™m looking forward to hearing the progress of your situation. šŸ’› Lou

Sounds like Tooie is taking her frustration out on you that your mom is gone and aggressively demanding you get her household back in order. GCā€™s are so bold. Sounds like you have quite a character on your hands. Have you tried distracting her with fun new situations? Like taking her on short trips even just outside. Fun Distractions would be good, even just watching the sunrise or sunset together. Crazy little kids ~ I love parrot psychology. Iā€™m looking forward to hearing the progress of your situation. šŸ’› Lou
I haven't really thought of taking her on car rides or anything as she tends to get car sick and scared, im thinking of bringing her out in her travel cage and walk with her a bit. Update, I've been training her to not bite my hands, she still bites me A LOT but occasionally she'll leave them alone and stare or even step up but then bite my hand as she's on it.

Hi, I am writing this post with a heavy heart so please bear with me. I got my green cheek conure back in august of 2019 from a family in NY (i live in central east NJ) that was rehoming their bird, I had taken an interest in parrots at that time and had done tons of research to make sure I knew what to do in case I did end up getting a parrot. By that time I had bought the bird from the family and named her tooie, the family had not taken good care of the bird as the cage was dirty, smelly and had a single toy in it. With that being said after I brought her home I allowed her to chill and fly wherever she needed to get accustomed to her home and while she did that I made sure to clean her cage and went out to get some new toys. That was 5 years ago, within that time I had formed a very deep and powerful bond with her, however as of 2 days ago she has become very bity. Due to my mom (her favorite person) traveling for a while (she wonā€™t be back till mid august), she has had to spend time with me alone since I am the only one home. With that being said suddenly two days ago she started biting me a lot, and bad (bleeding). She keeps confusing me as typically when a bird bites you, it is to keep you away, however she is doing the opposite, she will bite and when I put her back on the cage to leave her alone as a form of ā€œtime outā€ she will instantly try to fly on to me and start yelling out for me, even going on the ground and running after me. However if I try to pick her up she tries to bite me, my hand is filled with bite marks and my ears are also in danger. I donā€™t know what to do as I am also traveling in a few weeks and was originally going to leave her to a foster care while I was out however now I am thinking of fully rehoming her. I donā€™t know what to do Iā€™ve spent nearly both the last 2 days and all of today trying to figure out whatā€™s wrong and help her stop but nothing is working, I need help. What do I do? I donā€™t like the idea of rehoming her as I grew up with her over the last 5 years, but if it is whatā€™s best for the her then Iā€™ll ultimately have to do that. Please I am begging.
Sorry youā€™re going through a difficult time. I wouldnā€™t give up on your bird quite yet. Go through the checklist in your mind to see if you need to move the cage, adjust temperature, need new toys, perches. Does he have chew toys to destroy? Toys to wrestle with? Is your bird eating enough? Have you changed their diet at all? Any symptoms of being sick? Wear an oversized hoodie so you can pull the sleeves over your hands, keep the hood up if you need to. Keep a favorite toy handy as a diversion. I like to use my IPad when my bird has a bitey day. It creates a barrier and acts as a diversion. My bird runs around the back to hide, and peeks around, making a game of it. He climbs up the back. He sits on top and talks to me. He also likes to nibble on the case, which can be a good distraction for him. I find happy conure videos for him, he seems to like that, and it keeps him off of my shoulder. Use a clear coffee mug as a toy so he can see the contents. Tap on it, see if heā€™ll tap on it. Hold it up a bit, heā€™ll probably be intrigued watching the liquid. My bird is obsessed with nibbling the handle. When itā€™s empty, he likes to stand on the rim. You can put sticks or toys at the bottom for him to pull out. Allow your bird to step up on your covered arm, or use a perch or chopstick when stepping up to avoid getting your fingers bitten. Use millet to reestablish your relationship. Maybe heā€™s frustrated that youā€™re mom has been gone so long. Good luck! Weā€™ve all been there. Ha! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back