Thinking about buying an Amazon ...

All my big birds get essentially the same thing.
Higgins seed mix (no sunflower or peanuts) I think it’s called California blend.
Zupreem nut blend pellets.
Mixed veggies every other day (I don’t want them to get too tired of it).
Little bit of fruit (apple & grape usually).
Almonds (more for Bella cuz I understand Greys need more fat than amazons)

That’s the every day diet.
I’ve tried leafy greens but most of my birds don’t go for it.
Use to make birdy bread but they got tired of it and stopped eating it.
Okay thank you so much for everything and advice I’ll keep you updated on when I buy it and how it acts and stuff if I ever need any advice I definitely know your the one to come to

Okay thank you so much for everything and advice I’ll keep you updated on when I buy it and how it acts and stuff if I ever need any advice I definitely know your the one to come to
Lots of people here have African grey’s and for longer time.
This is. Just my experience with one for about 8 years.

Compared with multiple amazons for lots of years.

Amazons can make wonderful companions.
Bond closely and be affectionate.

But none of my amazons have ever made up its own words.
Words that make sense .
Prella = pretty - Bella.
Sweegul = sweet - girl.

Lots of people here have African grey’s and for longer time.
This is. Just my experience with one for about 8 years.

Compared with multiple amazons for lots of years.

Amazons can make wonderful companions.
Bond closely and be affectionate.

But none of my amazons have ever made up its own words.
Words that make sense .
Prella = pretty - Bella.
Sweegul = sweet - girl.
Last question I promise about vets
What checkups do they ik they need jabs and beak and nails shortened but is that it or is there yearly checkups or something like that

Last question I promise about vets
What checkups do they ik they need jabs and beak and nails shortened but is that it or is there yearly checkups or something like that
For the most part beaks don’t/shouldn’t need trimming.
If the beak is becoming overgrown their may be underlying health problems.

Claws in some cases could need trimming several times a year. Bella trims her own nails by biting off the tips.

I am going to be making an appointment for Bingo to get his nails trimmed real soon.

Yearly checkups are a good idea..
Bloodwork can be expensive but it’s good to keep track of organ function and birds are so good at hiding illness.

All that said it must be weighed against the stress it will put on your bird.
And it will be stressful.

My Amazons have been to the vet numerous times.
And to be perfectly honest I don’t know how much good the visits did.
Getting nails clipped is at least a positive, measurable thing.

When I bring in a sick bird he always does the same thing and always gives the same medication.
Then I have to try to force feed my birds by towing them and giving them medicine I don’t think is going to help.
Enough ranting.

I have only had Bella to the vet once.
Right after I brought her home in 2016.
She is too easily stressed and because of her feather plucking tendencies I don’t want to stress her anymore than I need to.

I would really like to take her back to the store I got her from but.
What if she remembers the place and thinks I am going to leave her there like her previous owner.
The owners of the store would like to see her and they have a male African grey I would like Bella to see.
Maybe they might get along.
But stress…..

For the most part beaks don’t/shouldn’t need trimming.
If the beak is becoming overgrown their may be underlying health problems.

Claws in some cases could need trimming several times a year. Bella trims her own nails by biting off the tips.

I am going to be making an appointment for Bingo to get his nails trimmed real soon.

Yearly checkups are a good idea..
Bloodwork can be expensive but it’s good to keep track of organ function and birds are so good at hiding illness.

All that said it must be weighed against the stress it will put on your bird.
And it will be stressful.

My Amazons have been to the vet numerous times.
And to be perfectly honest I don’t know how much good the visits did.
Getting nails clipped is at least a positive, measurable thing.

When I bring in a sick bird he always does the same thing and always gives the same medication.
Then I have to try to force feed my birds by towing them and giving them medicine I don’t think is going to help.
Enough ranting.

I have only had Bella to the vet once.
Right after I brought her home in 2016.
She is too easily stressed and because of her feather plucking tendencies I don’t want to stress her anymore than I need to.

I would really like to take her back to the store I got her from but.
What if she remembers the place and thinks I am going to leave her there like her previous owner.
The owners of the store would like to see her and they have a male African grey I would like Bella to see.
Maybe they might get along.
But stress…..
So blood work once a year
And possible nail clipping
Once I get it I think I’ll go to the vets just to see if it’s alright and healthy or do you think that would be too stressful and I should wait a couple weeks before a checkup so it gets use to me which do you think would be best

So blood work once a year
And possible nail clipping
Once I get it I think I’ll go to the vets just to see if it’s alright and healthy or do you think that would be too stressful and I should wait a couple weeks before a checkup so it gets use to me which do you think would be best
I made the vet appointment before I even brought Bella home.
If she ended up sold to someone else I could always cancel the appointment.

It’s just my opinion but it’s better to get it done ASAP not so much out of fear or urgency but.
Your gona have to transport the bird from where you buy it to home. New cage knew everything.
Better to take her sooner before she gets use to a schedule and then upset it by a vet visit.

The blood work is important but I have heard some good arguments for an interval of a bit more than a year.
Blood test results can vary due to their hormonal seasons.
If you take blood only one time of year you are only getting a snapshot of condition at that point. Making the internal 14 months will slowly spread those tests out throughout the birds breading season.

I made the vet appointment before I even brought Bella home.
If she ended up sold to someone else I could always cancel the appointment.

It’s just my opinion but it’s better to get it done ASAP not so much out of fear or urgency but.
Your gona have to transport the bird from where you buy it to home. New cage knew everything.
Better to take her sooner before she gets use to a schedule and then upset it by a vet visit.

The blood work is important but I have heard some good arguments for an interval of a bit more than a year.
Blood test results can vary due to their hormonal seasons.
If you take blood only one time of year you are only getting a snapshot of condition at that point. Making the internal 14 months will slowly spread those tests out throughout the birds breading season.
How often do recommend taking to the vets for blood

How often do recommend taking to the vets for blood
I don’t feel comfortable giving you a definitive timetable.

Someone on the P.F. Said they do it about 18 month intervals.
Personally I just play it by ear.
Once you know your bird and pay close attention you’ll know when somthing is off.
And if you think you need to go to the vet don’t hesitate.

One way to get an early indication of trouble is to regularly weigh your bird.

Weight loss is a good indicator of ill health.

But as a new bird medical evaluation it’s good to get a baseline blood test.

Stress must be monitored during the vet visit.
Sometimes it’s so stressful for the bird the blood test has to get skipped.
A good vet will know when to stop handling your bird and let it calm down.

I have both amazons and an African Grey (although not a BFA).
For noise you are better off with an African Gray.
As far as their bite it’s my Amazons that have a pit bull bite not my Grey Bella.

If you bond with your bird it will want to be around you.
Some birds are more cuddly than others.
My YNA is cuddly with me and Bella is cuddly with my wife.

As far as feather plucking.
Greys are much more likely to do it than amazons (from my experience) and some of the best cared for Greys (Einstein the Texas parrot) can start plucking.
And I have seen greys in bad conditions with perfect feathers.

I love my Amazons.
But if noise was an issue I would go with an African Grey.

Pionus parrots are supposed to be fairly quiet medium sized birds but hard to find.
This Guy " Texsize " seems to know what He's talking about . Greys are more like Not trusting of new things or scared . I had an Eclectus But I weaned Him and he was Great But wanted Attention RIGHT NOW ! and squawcked at me when I got home from work , couldn't even take my work Boots off first , and I was Hot , Dirty , & Tired . They All want Attention ! I now have a Rescue Grey Timneh , He only Bit at first cause He didn't know Me . But does Pluck some .

Most Reactions

Back