Thinking about buying an Amazon ...

Kourtn.lou5629

Aug 29, 2024
GUYS
Idk how to get replies but I have a really important question

I’m really keen on buying a blue fronted Amazon parrot but I live in a semi detached house and I’m worried if I buy one I will get noise complaints
Do u think it will be okay to own an amazon in this kind of house?

If not could u give me any suggestions on which parrot because I would like to get a medium large one I was thinking about African greys but their plucking and locked bitting aswell as being not very affectionate which I don’t mind about it’s just the plucking and bitting

Can anyone tag or respond if they know anyone who knows or knows themselves

GUYS

I’m really keen on buying a blue fronted Amazon parrot but I live in a semi detached house and I’m worried if I buy one I will get noise complaints

If not could u give me any suggestions on which parrot because I would like to get a medium large one I was thinking about African greys but their plucking and locked bitting aswell as being not very affectionate which I don’t mind about it’s just the plucking and bitting

Welcome to the forums, @Kourtn.lou5629, I've just created a new thread for your query in our "Amazons" sub-forum, so hopefully this will help get you some responses for our experienced Amazon parronts :)

GUYS

I have both amazons and an African Grey (although not a BFA).
For noise you are better off with an African Gray.
As far as their bite it’s my Amazons that have a pit bull bite not my Grey Bella.

If you bond with your bird it will want to be around you.
Some birds are more cuddly than others.
My YNA is cuddly with me and Bella is cuddly with my wife.

As far as feather plucking.
Greys are much more likely to do it than amazons (from my experience) and some of the best cared for Greys (Einstein the Texas parrot) can start plucking.
And I have seen greys in bad conditions with perfect feathers.

I love my Amazons.
But if noise was an issue I would go with an African Grey.

Pionus parrots are supposed to be fairly quiet medium sized birds but hard to find.

I have both amazons and an African Grey (although not a BFA).
For noise you are better off with an African Gray.
As far as their bite it’s my Amazons that have a pit bull bite not my Grey Bella.

If you bond with your bird it will want to be around you.
Some birds are more cuddly than others.
My YNA is cuddly with me and Bella is cuddly with my wife.

As far as feather plucking.
Greys are much more likely to do it than amazons (from my experience) and some of the best cared for Greys (Einstein the Texas parrot) can start plucking.
And I have seen greys in bad conditions with perfect feathers.

I love my Amazons.
But if noise was an issue I would go with an African Grey.

Pionus parrots are supposed to be fairly quiet medium sized birds but hard to find.
Thank you so much for your reply it’s just I’m scared to get a African grey and it plucks that’s my main concern as once they start they don’t stop some of my family members have had African greys in the past and hasn’t had problems with plucking only one had problems

Do u have any suggestions about a sun conure?

Thank you so much for your reply it’s just I’m scared to get a African grey and it plucks that’s my main concern as once they start they don’t stop some of my family members have had African greys in the past and hasn’t had problems with plucking only one had problems

Sun conures can be VERY loud, in fact one of our members had to rehome his because of complaints from the neighbours :( There again, some neighbours will complain about budgies too, they're not particularly loud but will often sing all day, and some folks will complain about anything :rolleyes:

Not to confuse the issue for you even further, but have you considered a princess parrot? They may also be harder to find where you are but they are becoming more popular. Not a cuddly bird, would rather just sit with you rather than enjoy skritches - though there are exceptions to every rule. SUCH pretty birds, mine is very sweet natured, can be goofy and quite comical and she wouldn't even know how to bite! Negligible noise level really, she'll squawk loudly a few times a day but nowhere near as noisy as a sun or a quaker. Here's a pic of my girlie, her name is Peachie đź’–

peachiegotmynumber2.jpeg

My suggestion about sun conures is stay away.
They have such a high frequency scream, that’s one bird I could never handle.

My Bella was a rescue and a plucker but has partially recovered.

Plucking is not well understood and can be caused by lots of issues. Boredom, nervousness, skin issues.

When I saw Bella I KNEW we were the ones to help her heal.
IMG_1149.jpeg
IMG_1147.jpeg

Sun conures can be VERY loud, in fact one of our members had to rehome his because of complaints from the neighbours :( There again, some neighbours will complain about budgies too, they're not particularly loud but will often sing all day, and some folks will complain about anything :rolleyes:

Not to confuse the issue for you even further, but have you considered a princess parrot? They may also be harder to find where you are but they are becoming more popular. Not a cuddly bird, would rather just sit with you rather than enjoy skritches - though there are exceptions to every rule. SUCH pretty birds, mine is very sweet natured, can be goofy and quite comical and she wouldn't even know how to bite! Negligible noise level really, she'll squawk loudly a few times a day but nowhere near as noisy as a sun or a quaker. Here's a pic of my girlie, her name is Peachie đź’–

View attachment 60852
WOW!
She looks gorgeous
The parrots I was considering were:
  1. Golden conure
  2. Cape parrots
  3. African grey
  4. Amazon
  5. Pionus parrot
The amazon was my first option but with all the videos and research I was doing ok then the noise thing was a main issue aswell as me living in a semi detached house and my neighbour has a child so I do not want to take the chance without people’s opinions so I came onto here as I would read peoples opinions.

What I’m looking for is a medium/ medium large parrot i don’t mind about it being affectionate or not I would like to have it not as a pet but a companion where it can sit on my shoulder or step up I don’t really mind about head scratching and touching but the issues are:

1) live in a semi detached house (loudness like a cockatoo is defo not what I’m looking for)
2) I’m a student but one of my parents and 20 year old brother stays home a couple days a week so the plan would be staying with the bird in the morning in my room then take it downstairs in the front room before I go to school then when I come back from school let it out until dark/night or when my brothers home keep it out in my bedroom the whole time

Pls tell me if that’s a bad idea or not and any suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:
My suggestion about sun conures is stay away.
They have such a high frequency scream, that’s one bird I could never handle.

My Bella was a rescue and a plucker but has partially recovered.

Plucking is not well understood and can be caused by lots of issues. Boredom, nervousness, skin issues.

When I saw Bella I KNEW we were the ones to help her heal.
View attachment 60853View attachment 60854
Did the plucking stop? It’s just I can cope with boredom and skin issues but if it was stress I would have to find ways to help it calm down is there any u would recommend

There is this amazing parrot site I found that sells everything you need for a parrot called “northern parrots” and they do a a plucking natural remedy would u recommend things like that or help them with natural things if that makes sense

Did the plucking stop? It’s just I can cope with boredom and skin issues but if it was stress I would have to find ways to help it calm down is there any u would recommend

There is this amazing parrot site I found that sells everything you need for a parrot called “northern parrots” and they do a a plucking natural remedy would u recommend things like that or help them with natural things if that makes sense
Bella’s plucking was due to stress according to the information I received. Owners bought a dog that upset her.
I don’t know how much to believe cuz I got the information second hand and I think someone in the household really dislike/hated her.
It’s beyond my understanding how someone/anyone could dislike so wonderfully a bird

It looks to me like she barbers her feathers all the time.
That’s what gives her an unkempt appearance.
Instead of the feathers ending in a gentle rounded U it’s end in an inverted V .
She still plucks but I think it’s seasonal either driven by hormones or molting.

I have never put anything on her feathers or skin.

WOW!
She looks gorgeous
The parrots I was considering were:
  1. Golden conure
  2. Cape parrots
  3. African grey
  4. Amazon
  5. Pionus parrot
The amazon was my first option but with all the videos and research I was doing ok then the noise thing was a main issue aswell as me living in a semi detached house and my neighbour has a child so I do not want to take the chance without people’s opinions so I came onto here as I would read peoples opinions.

What I’m looking for is a medium/ medium large parrot i don’t mind about it being affectionate or not I would like to have it not as a pet but a companion where it can sit on my shoulder or step up I don’t really mind about head scratching and touching but the issues are:

1) live in a semi detached house (loudness like a cockatoo is defo not what I’m looking for)
2) I’m a student but one of my parents and 20 year old brother stays home a couple days a week so the plan would be staying with the bird in the morning in my room then take it downstairs in the front room before I go to school then when I come back from school let it out until dark/night or when my brothers home keep it out in my bedroom the whole time

Pls tell me if that’s a bad idea or not and any suggestions

Thank you, yes she is! :)

In terms of whether it's a good idea for someone in your situation to get a parrot or not, I think @Anansi here said it best :)

My first 3 birds were amazons.
1984/1985.
I knew nothing and lived in an apartment that said “no pets”.
Never got in trouble.
I think part of the reason is the time there screaming to morning (after sunrise) and early evening (before it actually gets dark).
Most of the people living in the apartment complex would be out to work ATT.
And if you did hear them it might take time to pin down the actual apartment.

The advantage to amazons is.
They are generally less fearful.
Bella is scared of her own shadow, we have to go out of our way when bringing anything new in the house.

My amazons don’t care.

I had to move an old box spring mattress out of the house.
Bella had to get locked in the bathroom so she didn’t see anything.
We carried that big mattress right next to the Amazon’s and they just didn’t care.

My first 3 birds were amazons.
1984/1985.
I knew nothing and lived in an apartment that said “no pets”.
Never got in trouble.
I think part of the reason is the time there screaming to morning (after sunrise) and early evening (before it actually gets dark).
Most of the people living in the apartment complex would be out to work ATT.
And if you did hear them it might take time to pin down the actual apartment.

The advantage to amazons is.
They are generally less fearful.
Bella is scared of her own shadow, we have to go out of our way when bringing anything new in the house.

My amazons don’t care.

I had to move an old box spring mattress out of the house.
Bella had to get locked in the bathroom so she didn’t see anything.
We carried that big mattress right next to the Amazon’s and they just didn’t care.
So do you think I will be okay with having a amazon they are probably the only parrots I would buy but like I said I am a student but like i mentioned my plan and my adult brother would be home a couple days a week

I just don’t want to make the mistake of buying one and having to get rid of it as it would have already had to go through the grief of its original owner to me

Last edited:
So do you think I will be okay with having a amazon they are probably the only parrots I would buy but like I said I am a student but like unmentioned my plan and my adult brother would be home a couple days a week

I just don’t want to make the mistake of buying one and having to get rid of it as it would have already had to go through the grieve of its original owner to me
It’s always a gamble.
Your future amazon could scream all day when you leave for school.

My best guess is he/she would get use to your schedule.
Parrots run on schedule.

It could take some time, but that’s my guess.

I know there is a lot of talk about waiting till you are older and more settled.
There is something to that but….
It makes sense to me that if you are getting a long lived “pet” you should get it while you have a good chance of sharing that 60 years or so.

It’s always a gamble.
Your future amazon could scream all day when you leave for school.

My best guess is he/she would get use to your schedule.
Parrots run on schedule.

It could take some time, but that’s my guess.

I know there is a lot of talk about waiting till you are older and more settled.
There is something to that but….
It makes sense to me that if you are getting a long lived “pet” you should get it while you have a good chance of sharing that 60 years or so.
Yeah that’s why I’m thinking of getting one now and I’ve already found one that I’m considering buying so I think I’ll talk to my closest neighbour and see if they would be okay with it or should I just take the risk and buy it without telling my neighbour and take the chance of noise complaints because like you said in the apartment they didn’t hear it

Also the only thing I’m confused about is the paperwork Amazon’s needs, the two types im looking at are mealy or blue fronted, the sellers say that the species doesn’t need CITIES 10 certification but the internet says they do, do u have any paperwork that is essentially needed for these parrots

And thank you so much for your support and advice

Last edited:
Hi there, this is my male sun conure Charlie. He’s a very cute menace. He loves making messes. He has a very loud scream, and he consistently contact calls throughout the day. Yes, if I have him out flying it makes him tired, and he screams less but nothing makes a conure “quiet”. My sun is snuggly, and he likes to engage with me. He is easily trainable. I will say he’s not really friendly to other parrots. I think that’s a personality thing because others with suns say they get along with other parrots just fine. At times I have to intervene when my sun won’t let my Jenday eat. I will say both of my conures are snippy in comparison to a lovely cockatiel.

Yeah that’s why I’m thinking of getting one now and I’ve already found one that I’m considering buying so I think I’ll talk to my closest neighbour and see if they would be okay with it or should I just take the risk and buy it without telling my neighbour and take the chance of noise complaints because like you said in the apartment they didn’t hear it

Also the only thing I’m confused about is the paperwork Amazon’s needs, the two types im looking at are mealy or blue fronted, the sellers say that the species doesn’t need CITIES 10 certification but the internet says they do, do u have any paperwork that is essentially needed for these parrots

I have no paperwork for any of my birds.
My Yellow nape is too old to need it, 39 years old.
Luna (amazon) and Bella (CAG) were rescue’s .
I was told Bella had paperwork but never got it.
Luna was found on a sidewalk in San Diego.
And Merlin, I don’t know if he needs it (Mexican redhead amazon) I bought at a bird fair .
I should have asked about paperwork but didn’t.

There are other members much more knowledgeable about the paperwork aspect of keeping parrots.

I believe the paperwork (hatch certificate and parental information) is really only mandatory if you need to take your bird out of the country. Of course the government could change it's mind and require paperwork for leangle ownership.

Last edited:
If you had to choose would you pick African grey or amazon if you’ve never had Bella or the amazons before so before you ever got a parrot

If you had to choose would you pick African grey or amazon if you’ve never had Bella or the amazons before so before you ever got a parrot
That is a very hard question to answer.
I can’t imagine my life without either one.

If I divorce myself from the history of 30 plus years of living with amazon’s .
If I was starting over I would go with an African grey.

From my experience with just one African grey and 4 species of amazon parrots.
Greys are more vocal and interactive than my Amazons.

Bella is always coming out with something new that gets us laughing.

Amazons tend to be perch potatoes.
When young they tend to be more playful

Dealing with Bingo can be wonderful but I can never let me guard down with him. And the BFA you are thinking about is one of the “hot three” amazons just like my Bingo.
It’s like having a loaded pistol in your lap, safe as long as you handle it properly.

I will probably get a lot of grief over this from some amazon loyalists.
Amazons IMHO are more hardy/sturdy birds.
Less skittish but more likely to be one person birds.

Dealing with Bingo can be wonderful but I can never let me guard down with him. And the BFA you are thinking about is one of the “hot three” amazons just like my Bingo.
It’s like having a loaded pistol in your lap, safe as long as you handle it properly.

Okay thank you so much I’ve made my mind up and I’m going with the African grey as I think it will be more better for the environment I live in and calmer nature they have again I’ve done all research and stuff but last thing I would like to know is what food you give to your African grey like parrot mixture you give to her
The ones I’m looking at are:
Johnston and Jeff parrot fruit mixture

Johnston and Jeff lean and fit no sunflower no peanut parrot food

Johnston and Jeff low sunflower diet for African greys

It says pellets should be 75-80% and the rest should be fresh fruits and veggies
Although they can have seeds it shouldn’t be loads amounts yet it says they can become addicted to sunflower seeds which can cause problems like vitamin A deficiency’s

All my big birds get essentially the same thing.
Higgins seed mix (no sunflower or peanuts) I think it’s called California blend.
Zupreem nut blend pellets.
Mixed veggies every other day (I don’t want them to get too tired of it).
Little bit of fruit (apple & grape usually).
Almonds (more for Bella cuz I understand Greys need more fat than amazons)

That’s the every day diet.
I’ve tried leafy greens but most of my birds don’t go for it.
Use to make birdy bread but they got tired of it and stopped eating it.

Most Reactions

Back