The Disappearing Birds of Guam

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
There was a short story about Guam on CBS Sunday Morning. Ten of the 12 native species of birds in Guam have been made extinct by the non-native Brown Tree Snake, which is highly poisonous. All of the Guam bird species were gorgeous, by the pictures. None were parrots. The two remaining species are in danger.

Scientists use this as a prime example of invasive species that destroy the native species.

Many years ago, I took a one day tour of Peleliu, which is a small island between Guam and the Philipines. I had put my hands on a tree trunk to shake out some fruit, then looked around the other side of the trunk to see a brown tree snake where I had almost put my hand. I didn't realize then what a close call that was.

PP

I saw a report years ago about this snake airports and cargo shipping hubs use dogs trained to sniff out the snake which can live for more than six months without food in a shipping container. Other islands have lost all their birds due to the snake invasion. The worst part of the report was when they just shut up and played audio of nothing no bird calls or anything just quiet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back