Ten Best Ways to Prepare for a Career in Herpetology

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi All,
It is said that people who make careers of their passions never work a day in their livesā€¦those of us who have turned our hobbies into livelihoods are indeed fortunate. The following ideas have helped me along the way ā€“ I hope they are of some use to you.
Read
Read, read, read! The internet is a wonderful resource, and more herp books have been published in recent years than I dreamed possible, but donā€™t forget the classics. Most herpers are aware of Kauffeldā€™s ā€œbiblesā€, but there are scores of other treasures out there.
Books written when people spent time observing and recording behavior offer insights that are unique, and differ from those made later-on. Ditmarsā€™ The Reptiles of North America was published in 1907, but I challenge anyone to read it and come away without much of value. From The Giant Snakes by Pope to the more ā€œadventure-orientedā€ works of Ionides, Allen and others, youā€™ll learn much and enjoy yourself immensely.
Travel logs and autobiographies cannot help but inspire. Try Raymond Ditmars: his Exciting Life with Reptiles, Animals & Insects and In Search of Reptiles and Amphibians, a 1988 gem by modern-day herp legend Dick Bartlett. Read article here: The 10 Best Ways to Prepare for a Career in Herpetology - Part 1 | That Reptile Blog.
Comments and questions appreciated. As I do not place notices here each time I post a new article on That Reptile Blog, you may wish to check in periodically or subscribe; you can do so here That Reptile Blog. Please also check out my posts on Twitter Twitter.

Thanks, Frank
My Bio, with photos of animals Iā€™ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog
Face Book http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

Most Reactions

Back