Taking Forever to Choose a Bird After Many Years Without

Featherfool

Aug 18, 2024
Parrots
I don't currently have any parrots. I've previously had three budgies and two lovebirds. I have worked with many parrot and other birds professionally.
I've been without a bird for about a decade. I started with budgies as a kid, and then got lovebirds. My last lovebird passed away in my mid-20's and absolutely broke my heart. Now I'm considering what bird(s) I'd like in the next year or two. I've missed them immensely! I have a bit of a background with parrot behaviour and training, and have experience birdsitting for a pretty broad range of species, though usually only one or two individuals of any particular species which makes it hard to make generalizations. I have also worked with non-parrot bird species in professional environments- though I don't anymore.

My favorite species is still the Peach-faced lovebird. I just adore them! I love their sweetness and cuddly natures, and I love the bossy bold pushiness. I love how smart and trainable they are and that they are always up to something. I like they can be in a pair or group and just as tame and fun; I know that different people have different opinions on it but I personally think having a friend of the same species is important for social animals. Lovebirds are so quick to pick up new things, and every one I've worked with loved to learn. I honestly think they are just the best- I know a lot of people prefer the males, but I honestly have never met a Peach-faced I didn't adore. The only thing is, I wish that they were a bit bigger. I'd love a bird who could safely wear a harness. I tried many, many harnesses with my lovebirds but they were all so clunky, and impossible to fit well. They just didn't seem as safe or secure to me as the harnesses I've used on other birds. I have some experience with falconry, and gear weight is a big concern for me too- it's impossible to find something with a reasonable weight for a lovebird.

I have a couple species on my short list, but I'd be interested to hear what other people think.
Things I'm looking for:
- 150-400g, from about a Senegal to Amazon in size
- Affectionate; I enjoy giving a head-scratch just as much as my lovebirds liked getting them!
- Can be kept in a tame pair or group, with accommodation for seasonal hormone swings of course
- Bold, outgoing, not likely to lose their minds if they travel in the car or go hang out at an outdoor cafe, etc.
- Clever, likes to learn, reasonably easily motivated
- Playful, active, busy. Mentally busy, physically busy. I like making bird toys; a species that likes going through toys would be a convenient match lol
- Not going to cause immediate and permanent hearing damage (I'm looking at you, conures!)
- this is just a preference, because the individual personality is my priority, but I DO like a chunky bird; considering aesthetics alone, I'd take a Poicephalus over a conure any day of the week

Things I do not care about:
- Colour. All parrots are gorgeous, this doesn't matter to me at all.
- Mimicking ability. I could not care less about this. It's cool when it happens, but birds communicate all the time anyways.
- Weird or specific diets don't bother me. No parrot has a weirder or more intricate diet than some of the animals I've cared for in the past.
- Cost. There are some availability issues, some species just aren't available where I live, but cost isn't really a pertinent consideration.
- I'm not intimidated by a bird with strong opinions, even if they are backed up with the beak. I generally don't get bitten unless I've done something dumb anyways, and a bit of target training and a tasty treat go a long way to solving problems without confrontation.

Thoughts?

WOW! Good for you, for all the research and care you're putting into this. Would that EVERY bird acquisition was so well done!
Unlike yours truly, who walked into a bird store 40 years ago, fell in love, bought a bird, and have paid for it ever since (lovingly said!).
If you go to see birds, some chemistry may happen where you and a bird just gravitate to one another. That's the best.
I bet you'll be great with whatever lucky bird you pick. Keep us posted please!

Hrrrrm.... Red bellied Parrot comes to mind when I think of medium-sized birds. They're cuddly and affectionate, often laying on their backs in people's hands. They're supposed to be good with kids, too.

Hey everyone believes their parrot is the perfect one for a new one! In this case I might have a winner for you. Yellow Shoulder Amazon. Rare and not inexpensive (but not CRAZY $$), weight around 380 gr or so, much more even temper then the hot 3 but not a perch potato, very intelligent and trainable (check out some of my vids with Salty below), not excessively loud and usually only at 1 or 2 times a day, mine loves head scratches, that species hits your asks easily. I usually do not recommend them because a lot of folks can't take the cost of the parrot, but since you seem to not have that issue, I can fully recommend them. If you can find one - great choice. FWIW I paid around $2600 for Salty about 9 years ago.

Hrrrrm.... Red bellied Parrot comes to mind when I think of medium-sized birds. They're cuddly and affectionate, often laying on their backs in people's hands. They're supposed to be good with kids, too.
I don't think anyone is breeding Red Bellies in Canada- I haven't seen them around for ten, fifteen years. I think in the past ten years I've seen two older birds on Kijiji, and Kijiji is not my first choice for finding a parrot. Too many people don't test their birds for diseases, and PBFD and polyoma are pretty rampant here. Poicephalus are on my short list, though. I adored a couple Brown-heads I used to bird sit for (though they were not nearly as pushy as my lovebirds were lol), though they are also nearly impossible to find now. Jardine's seem along the lines of what I'm looking for, and are fairly available.

Also, I'm pretty sure we used to know each other! I think we knew each other from a local parrot club. I had a lovebird named Ike, and then another lovebird named Sweetheart. I was literally president of the club for like 6 or 8 months; the club was at risk of ending because no one wanted do it and I stupidly volunteered. I was like, 20 or 21 years old? I quit after I got death threats for helping the vet tech association to bring up The Gabriel Foundation to do an educational talk lmao I was such an idealistic baby but, man, that club was a hot mess. I think you had cockatiels and a, oh man, halfmoon conure? Peach-fronted conure? I can't remember. I think I adopted a cockatiel from you! She ended up falling in love with my uncle and lived with him just down the street, completely freaking spoiled. She only passed away a little while ago, my uncle is heartbroken. If I'm off base, I'm sorry!

Hey everyone believes their parrot is the perfect one for a new one! In this case I might have a winner for you. Yellow Shoulder Amazon. Rare and not inexpensive (but not CRAZY $$), weight around 380 gr or so, much more even temper then the hot 3 but not a perch potato, very intelligent and trainable (check out some of my vids with Salty below), not excessively loud and usually only at 1 or 2 times a day, mine loves head scratches, that species hits your asks easily. I usually do not recommend them because a lot of folks can't take the cost of the parrot, but since you seem to not have that issue, I can fully recommend them. If you can find one - great choice. FWIW I paid around $2600 for Salty about 9 years ago.

I don't think I've ever seen a yellow-shouldered available here. But, a smaller amazon is on my list; I've seen lilac-crowned, red-lored, and red-crowned (green-cheeked) available. It's pretty common for parrots to be in the $3000-8000 range here. Young Greys go for $4000-$4500, for example. Macaws are easy $5000-6000. I absolutely adored my $60 lovebird. He wasn't any less special to me for being inexpensive than the kea parrot I worked with, or the hyacinth macaws, or the palm cockatoo. How much a bird costs just isn't important to me, either way. I'm happy with a bird that's $6 or $60k lol

Basically my short list:

- Poicephalus, maybe Jardine's? I've only met one Jardine's, and she wasn't anything like what you read about; she was very shy and demure and sweet. She was more like the brown-headed parrots I bird sat for than an "African Amazon".

- Smaller amazons. I've never met an amazon I didn't get along with like a house on fire lol Heck, my absolute favourite bird I ever birdsat for was a male yellow naped amazon.

- Caiques. I've never really had much experience with caiques, I've never bird sat for one. I played with a baby at a pet store, but that's not really indicative of anything; all babies are wonderful!

- Just more lovebirds, and forget my desire for a bird who can go out and about in a harness with me.

I don't think anyone is breeding Red Bellies in Canada- I haven't seen them around for ten, fifteen years. I think in the past ten years I've seen two older birds on Kijiji, and Kijiji is not my first choice for finding a parrot. Too many people don't test their birds for diseases, and PBFD and polyoma are pretty rampant here. Poicephalus are on my short list, though. I adored a couple Brown-heads I used to bird sit for (though they were not nearly as pushy as my lovebirds were lol), though they are also nearly impossible to find now. Jardine's seem along the lines of what I'm looking for, and are fairly available.

Also, I'm pretty sure we used to know each other! I think we knew each other from a local parrot club. I had a lovebird named Ike, and then another lovebird named Sweetheart. I was literally president of the club for like 6 or 8 months; the club was at risk of ending because no one wanted do it and I stupidly volunteered. I was like, 20 or 21 years old? I quit after I got death threats for helping the vet tech association to bring up The Gabriel Foundation to do an educational talk lmao I was such an idealistic baby but, man, that club was a hot mess. I think you had cockatiels and a, oh man, halfmoon conure? Peach-fronted conure? I can't remember. I think I adopted a cockatiel from you! She ended up falling in love with my uncle and lived with him just down the street, completely freaking spoiled. She only passed away a little while ago, my uncle is heartbroken. If I'm off base, I'm sorry!

OMG! YES! I remember Ike! Wow, it's been a long time! I'm still a member of the parrot club, though we're much, MUCH smaller these days and most of the older members have either died or moved on. Like whoah. Talk about a flashback! I had a peach front conure, yeppers! He has since passed on and I have Charlie, a peach front rescue I adopted through the club. Right now I have three birds - Charlie, Redshift and the new baby, Vortex :)

IMG_0809.jpeg

Are you sure you don’t want a beautiful sun conure? He claims to be quiet at midnight 😁

Welcome to the forum, and hello. I’m Kristen! I have 2 conures, and an Ekkie if you ever have questions about them. I hope you find the parrot you are looking for. Always think of shelters too. It’s nice because you get to know your parrot before bringing him/her home. The ones in my area are packed full of parrots in all different sizes & colors.

Are you sure you don’t want a beautiful sun conure? He claims to be quiet at midnight 😁

Welcome to the forum, and hello. I’m Kristen! I have 2 conures, and an Ekkie if you ever have questions about them. I hope you find the parrot you are looking for. Always think of shelters too. It’s nice because you get to know your parrot before bringing him/her home. The ones in my area are packed full of parrots in all different sizes & colors.

Oh no, I'm sure! They are so freaking cute, but there is something in the tone of conure calls that just cuts right through me! I haven't spent much time with Eclectus- only with one female who was wonderful; very much the bossy kind of bird I like.

I have no issue finding a bird who needs a second or third or fortieth home, but we don't have any shelters here that I'd feel comfortable adopting from. I used to volunteer with a wonderful organization, but they are closed now. I think the parrot club rehomes to members, but honestly I'd rather not have anything to do with that group. There is one kind-of "rescue"- I think its run by a teenager, and seems to be either involved with or previously involved with the same parrot club I'm not a fan of. I don't love the outreach I've seen from them, and their social media is oddly combative. It gives me weird vibes overall, in any case. I even contacted Parrot Partners and Greyhaven- both rescues form other provinces with good reputations- but neither adopts out of province. There are certainly birds around, being sold privately, but I'm nervous about a random Kijiji bird. Canada has had some pretty rampant disease outbreaks in recent years. IME with my current search, it's pretty uncommon to find a breeder or rescue that tests their birds, let alone someone looking to rehome privately. I've seen the heartbreak stuff like that can cause.

I'm starting to get the feeling that I'll either end up with a "bird distribution system" bird, like maybe someone I tangentially know will be looking to rehome or something, or purchase a bird from one of the handful of breeders I've found that at least test their breeding stock and have some kind of socialization program for their babies. None of my birds were bought from a breeder- not my budgies, not my lovebirds. But I'm not against breeders, in theory. It's just hard to find one whose business practices align with my personal beliefs. I'm not really fond of the idea of dropping thousands (or even tens) of dollars to someone that I'm not 100% on board with. That just smacks of encouraging bad behaviour to me.

Maybe my standards are too high lol

After reading this thread, I couldn’t wait to jump in! you sounds a lot like me (except for the waiting a decade to get another bird part 😄 I don’t think I go that long without one) I agree about the lovebirds. They are absolutely wonderful. I’ve had every variety but my favorite were the black mask. They had a different level of perception. So smart. I could tell you so many stories. Of course they’re all wonderful. I think of all your choices, I would look into getting a Caique. They aren’t for everyone, but I think they would be for you… sturdy, stout travelers and great for the harness (IF you start early) I adopted one that has passed away now. He made it to 20 years. One of the best relationships with a bird I’ve ever had. I would say a Caique would be the big bird level up from a lovebird. People say the downside is they need a lot of social interaction and they have very strong personalities, but I love that about them. I see them for adoption all the time because people can’t devote the time they need. They are all about fun fun FUN. that was the only motivation to train him. Make everything fun. Play & Games. He was hugely gregarious and the one everybody wanted to play with because he was so incredibly social and wanted to go everywhere that people were. When we had guests over, he would march across the floor and relentlessly be looking under the door, waiting for them to come out. Even when our guests would leave, he would go to the guest bedroom looking for them . Always made our company feel so special. He also would dive into the nightgowns of any willing guests on the couch to watch a movie. He loved to cuddle. Everyone loved him. I know every parrot has different personalities, but that’s my experience. I do want to emphasize the strong personality aspect. Everything has to be on their terms and if not, they have no boundaries for aggression. If that is understood, then they are awesome pets. Our Caique had us all trained. 😄
I could go on and on about the stories. Anyway, just my two cents looking forward to hearing your decision! 💛Lou

Last edited:
Oh no, I'm sure! They are so freaking cute, but there is something in the tone of conure calls that just cuts right through me! I haven't spent much time with Eclectus- only with one female who was wonderful; very much the bossy kind of bird I like.

I have no issue finding a bird who needs a second or third or fortieth home, but we don't have any shelters here that I'd feel comfortable adopting from. I used to volunteer with a wonderful organization, but they are closed now. I think the parrot club rehomes to members, but honestly I'd rather not have anything to do with that group. There is one kind-of "rescue"- I think its run by a teenager, and seems to be either involved with or previously involved with the same parrot club I'm not a fan of. I don't love the outreach I've seen from them, and their social media is oddly combative. It gives me weird vibes overall, in any case. I even contacted Parrot Partners and Greyhaven- both rescues form other provinces with good reputations- but neither adopts out of province. There are certainly birds around, being sold privately, but I'm nervous about a random Kijiji bird. Canada has had some pretty rampant disease outbreaks in recent years. IME with my current search, it's pretty uncommon to find a breeder or rescue that tests their birds, let alone someone looking to rehome privately. I've seen the heartbreak stuff like that can cause.

I'm starting to get the feeling that I'll either end up with a "bird distribution system" bird, like maybe someone I tangentially know will be looking to rehome or something, or purchase a bird from one of the handful of breeders I've found that at least test their breeding stock and have some kind of socialization program for their babies. None of my birds were bought from a breeder- not my budgies, not my lovebirds. But I'm not against breeders, in theory. It's just hard to find one whose business practices align with my personal beliefs. I'm not really fond of the idea of dropping thousands (or even tens) of dollars to someone that I'm not 100% on board with. That just smacks of encouraging bad behaviour to me.

Maybe my standards are too high lol
I would say my male Ekkie is clingy. I feel like he’s a stage 5 clinger. He sucks up a lot of my time. I don’t mind and he was adopted so I had the chance to back out if I wanted to. I knew what I was getting into. What I didn’t expect is that he would take a huge disliking to men. He has a very nasty bite too. He’s a ladies man, and honestly a 1 person bird. He was rehomed a lot. He is a horn dog. He is the most hormonal parrot I’ve ever been around. He try’s to mate with me daily. He also try’s to regurgitate on me daily. The females from my understanding are a lot more independent. I’ve now been around one, but not for a prolonged period of time.

I’m guessing macaws you’d want to stay away from. They are like an over grown conure, and are just as noisy if not worse. They act a lot alike too in my experience with them. Both are chainsaws on legs, and will require a lot of toys. If money is an issue macaw toys are spendy. My Ekkie doesn’t play with toys. He is cheap in that aspect but his diet needs make up for it.

I just about adopted an Amazon but after a post I had going on here I decided not to. My Ekkie is really sensitive to loud noises, and he’s more than likely going to try to mate with the Amazon. Which would probably just create a bird fight I’d prefer not to take place.

I would say my male Ekkie is clingy. I feel like he’s a stage 5 clinger. He sucks up a lot of my time. I don’t mind and he was adopted so I had the chance to back out if I wanted to. I knew what I was getting into. What I didn’t expect is that he would take a huge disliking to men. He has a very nasty bite too. He’s a ladies man, and honestly a 1 person bird. He was rehomed a lot. He is a horn dog. He is the most hormonal parrot I’ve ever been around. He try’s to mate with me daily. He also try’s to regurgitate on me daily. The females from my understanding are a lot more independent. I’ve now been around one, but not for a prolonged period of time.

I’m guessing macaws you’d want to stay away from. They are like an over grown conure, and are just as noisy if not worse. They act a lot alike too in my experience with them. Both are chainsaws on legs, and will require a lot of toys. If money is an issue macaw toys are spendy. My Ekkie doesn’t play with toys. He is cheap in that aspect but his diet needs make up for it.

I just about adopted an Amazon but after a post I had going on here I decided not to. My Ekkie is really sensitive to loud noises, and he’s more than likely going to try to mate with the Amazon. Which would probably just create a bird fight I’d prefer not to take place.

I actually quite like the larger macaws I've worked with- scarlets, green-wingeds, blue and golds, and hyacinths. But, TBH, there are parrots whose needs I feel- in Canada, where they have to be indoors most of the year- are generally not possible to meet for most people. I know I can offer a better, more enriched life for a smaller parrot than I can a larger one, just based on space requirements alone. Years ago, I went to a professional workshop at Natural Encounters in Florida- and whatever people may think of Steve Martin himself, once I worked with flocks of parent-reared macaws in their massive indoor-outdoor flights, I don't think I could keep a large macaw in my little house and feel good about it. A 16 ft indoor flight is about all I can manage, which for me limits to medium and small species. There are definitely going to be people who feel differently than I do, and that's okay!

Generally, from what I've been reading, Eclectus don't really sound like they are for me either. The one female I worked with was lovely, but she definitely didn't have the "lets go!" attitude I really like. She had the bossiness, but more in a "I'm the princess" kind of way. Which was fun! But not really what I'm looking for.

After reading this thread, I couldn’t wait to jump in! you sounds a lot like me (except for the waiting a decade to get another bird part 😄 I don’t think I go that long without one) I agree about the lovebirds. They are absolutely wonderful. I’ve had every variety but my favorite were the black mask. They had a different level of perception. So smart. I could tell you so many stories. Of course they’re all wonderful. I think of all your choices, I would look into getting a Caique. They aren’t for everyone, but I think they would be for you… sturdy, stout travelers and great for the harness (IF you start early) I adopted one that has passed away now. He made it to 20 years. One of the best relationships with a bird I’ve ever had. I would say a Caique would be the big bird level up from a lovebird. People say the downside is they need a lot of social interaction and they have very strong personalities, but I love that about them. I see them for adoption all the time because people can’t devote the time they need. They are all about fun fun FUN. that was the only motivation to train him. Make everything fun. Play & Games. He was hugely gregarious and the one everybody wanted to play with because he was so incredibly social and wanted to go everywhere that people were. When we had guests over, he would march across the floor and relentlessly be looking under the door, waiting for them to come out. Even when our guests would leave, he would go to the guest bedroom looking for them . Always made our company feel so special. He also would dive into the nightgowns of any willing guests on the couch to watch a movie. He loved to cuddle. Everyone loved him. I know every parrot has different personalities, but that’s my experience. I do want to emphasize the strong personality aspect. Everything has to be on their terms and if not, they have no boundaries for aggression. If that is understood, then they are awesome pets. Our Caique had us all trained. 😄
I could go on and on about the stories. Anyway, just my two cents looking forward to hearing your decision! 💛Lou

Yes, this is why they are on my short list! My only issue is I have no experience with them myself, so I'd likely be going in pretty blind. I don't think there are breeders near me to even visit babies. I'd likely be going out-of-province for either a baby or a rehomed bird, which would be at least an overnight drive. There is a breeder I found in Ontario who co-parents their caiques, which I find very interesting!

Honestly, I am pretty confident in my ability to manage aggression and "big attitude" birds. And there is literally nothing I like more than setting up enrichment. The Eclectus I birdsat was lovely, for example, but she could pick one foot toy and work at it all day! Which, I mean, good for her, but I'm over here with 30 other options waiting lol

Most Reactions

Back