Switching baby amazon to pellets

h4l1.png

Mar 8, 2024
Parrots
Green-cheeked conure | Moline
I have an Organge-Winged Amazon parrot that just switched to independent eating 7 days ago. He is 2 months and 15 days old and moved into my home 3 days ago. I can already see that he has gotten a little used to everything, but not pellets. Right now he eats seeds and doesn't want anywhere near pellets. When I give him a pellet, he puts it in his beak and drops it, I offered him pellets in the food bowl, which he doesn't even want to look at, he simply prefers seeds to pellets, so I'm interested in your advice, how to get him interested and how to get him to start eating pellets instead of seeds. Some trick for those of you who have already experienced this. For example, I never had a problem with conures, they immediately accepted pellets as their favorite food. Since this is an Amazonian, I'm afraid of unhealthy weight gain soon.

I have an Organge-Winged Amazon parrot that just switched to independent eating 7 days ago. He is 2 months and 15 days old and moved into my home 3 days ago. I can already see that he has gotten a little used to everything, but not pellets. Right now he eats seeds and doesn't want anywhere near pellets. When I give him a pellet, he puts it in his beak and drops it, I offered him pellets in the food bowl, which he doesn't even want to look at, he simply prefers seeds to pellets, so I'm interested in your advice, how to get him interested and how to get him to start eating pellets instead of seeds. Some trick for those of you who have already experienced this. For example, I never had a problem with conures, they immediately accepted pellets as their favorite food. Since this is an Amazonian, I'm afraid of unhealthy weight gain soon.
Feeding "SEED" is a very generalized term and can apply to vastly different products and quality! If you are referencing very inexpensive "outdoor bird Feed" that is a real No, No! If you are feeding a high quality Central and South America seed mix with an extensive cross-section of products that is much better.

The general opinion here tends to favor a diet that is heavy in Veggies commonly referred to as "Chop"! There are a number of mixes used here with my favorite being that defined by wrech13.

I was an advocate of a pellet based diet, but found it tended to overload my Double Yellow-headed Amazon, which tended to extend his hormonal season, which with a DYHA can be dangerous! My current recommendation is to provide a quality chop mix first thing in the morning with a Quality Seed Mix as a dry base provided during the day and evening. NOTE: With Amazons, only tree based numbers.

Please understand that "Diet" is a Hot Button Topic and near everyone has their opinion.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back