Swing out cage door

birdlover70

Dec 23, 2012
Just got this beautiful King's cage. The door is swing open style. For those with cages with similar door styles what do you use to keep the door in place when your bird is out and about? Thanks 😊

Last edited:
For the most part the doors stay open by themselves.

Once and a while a bird will take off from an open door and it will close.. we only let our birds out when we are around to supervise them so we just open it up again.

My Amazons and African grey are usually capable of opening the door if it closes but it sort of cramps my CAG style cuz she like to land ON the door.

My Tiels can’t open the doors (at least from the outside).. If you forget to latch the door they have no trouble escaping.

20240713_210840.jpg
20240713_210923.jpg

Yes, these doors usually seem to stay open pretty well by themselves. I have a rope perch up high on the outside of the swing door on my Quaker Parrot’s cage. The weight of the perch seems to help keep it open. Occasionally my bird pulls the door shut but he knows how to push it open again!

Cage doors are designed and built to be neutral, i.e. they would not open or close on their own. If they do, it is likely the floor or part of the cage is on a rug, etc.

Our Amazon is a very special guy! I say that because, after being part of our home for about two months, he simply dis-assembled the cage. After the third time, we simply began leaving his cage door open. More times than not, we will find him in his cage.

Placement of perches and their diameter is alway important. Our Amazon can be found on the one's he is comfortable on!

Yes, one has to make one's home Parrot safe!!

If your cage door is always closing, consider placing a thin rug under the side that locks.

Cage doors are designed and built to be neutral, i.e. they would not open or close on their own. If they do, it is likely the floor or part of the cage is on a rug, etc.

Our Amazon is a very special guy! I say that because, after being part of our home for about two months, he simply dis-assembled the cage. After the third time, we simply began leaving his cage door open. More times than not, we will find him in his cage.

Placement of perches and their diameter is alway important. Our Amazon can be found on the one's he is comfortable on!

Yes, one has to make one's home Parrot safe!!

If your cage door is always closing, consider placing a thin rug under the side that locks.
Thanks Sailboat! 😊👍

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back