Sun Conure Fluffing

Brandy77

Feb 21, 2016
I recently got a Sun Coure. It is a little over 4 months old. I noticed today that while on the perch, it fluffs up and stands on one leg. I have read in other places that it is a "juvenile" behavior. Can someone give me some input?

It's not 'juvenile behavior', it's actually normal behavior for all ages. When parrots are resting, they often sleep on one foot. They also puff up and close their eyes. If your sun does this constantly or more often than not, that's when you need to worry.

While appearing fluffed up CAN be a sign of illness, that is not always the case. If your sun is eating, drinking fine, has normal droppings and no nasal discharge and is active during parts of the day, and is getting enough rest at night, then you are in the clear.

The other thing to take into consideration is suns are VERY active birds, so sitting still in a cage for a long time is NOT normal sun behavior. Finally, suns need a LOT of sleep. Preferably 12-14hrs depending on their activity. The more active they are the more sleep they need but 12 hrs is the recommended minimum. That being said, just covering your bird up at night and continuing to make noise disrupts their sleep. They need quiet to properly rest.

Skittles is in the living room during the day but I am a night owl so I bring his cage (its on wheels) into the bedroom at night. He gets more sleep and I sleep better too knowing hes at the foot of the bed.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back