Sudden Aggression - Need Help

EmberLover

May 1, 2020
Hi guys.

I am in need of some serious help for my conure aggression against me.

I got Ember when he was about 7 mnths old ( DNA tested ) and been having him around slightly more than a month now.

Everything was fine in the beginning ( after couple of weeks ) as he would come out of his cage and would be curious and nibble on clothes as me and my wife sit on the couch and there was no hard bites on purpose that is.

But everything started changing in the past 2 weeks where he would bob his head at me whenever he sees me and starts screeching and have his wing flapped a little like he wants my attention. I let him calm down before giving him attention though.

My wife would work with him when I am at work and eventually she got to give him pets and rubs on his head. I did not get to the point.

With me, Ember would follow me everywhere I go but never let me touch him but he comes and nibbles my fingers with no force on it.

And one day, overnight, everything changed. He learned how to get on my shoulder and that was when he started nibbling my ears and neck hard and he have a grip and wont let go. I tried shaking him like mini earthquakes and say NO but he would still went for for it. He started biting my neck and started wagging his tail and rubbed himself on my shoulder. And when I tried stopping him with my hands and say No again, That was when I walked over to his cage and let him off my shoulder and go back where I was and he would do the same thing again and again and I left the room.

The next day, he started biting my fingers hard. He would fly to wherever I am and land on my shoulder and wait for few minutes and goes biting again.

This has been going on for few days now and I even tried target practice with him and he learns fast. He doesnt bite my wife at all and he is very gentle with her.

I dont understand why he was humping me and only bites me and bobs his head at me and screech out for me when he seems me the first thing in the morning or when I am back home after a long day from work.

I really need help to have him to stop biting. I hope some of you guys can tell me what is going on. :17:

He’s at his hormonal age. Do NOT touch him anywhere other than his head, do not let him on your shoulder, limit sweet foods like fruits, eliminate any nesting materials from where he can get them, no dark corners. He’ll probably be off for a while as he goes through his first hormonal stage & puberty.

More experienced folks will chime in soon I’m sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES-HEAD AND NECK ONLY (FOREVER)--In addition to what was said above, no tents, huts or shadowy spaces and ensure 10-12 hours sleep (dark/quite) on a relatively set schedule each night (essential for immune health and hormones-forever--sleep is a must, as is the rule about no shadowy spaces). Also- look up ABA training for parrots. You need to re-frame your relationship (your wife has likely accidentally lead your bird on--you could both be stimulating the hormones equally and inadvertently, but if she is the chosen one, you will be the "enemy"--at least until you re-build trust, cut-off triggers and work on behavioral interventions--hint ABA)-- I'm sure you have heard the saying "hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn" ---well, a woman's scorn is nothing compared to a spurned/sexually frustrated parrot in the midst of puberty...
Sounds like you are the perceived threat because your bird is overly- bonded to your wife...yes, they do often pick a person, but she needs to be very wary of her behavior so that she ins't sexually stimulating him by mistake--and all who interact with him need to follow the same rules.

Last edited:
I'm sure you have heard the saying "hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn" ---well, a woman's scorn is nothing compared to a spurned/sexually frustrated parrot in the midst of puberty...

I’m rolling [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Back