Step-up issues

bluecrownmama

Oct 27, 2013
Western Maryland
Parrots
One Blue Crown Conure
My blue crown likes to step up with his beak first. Its like he'll lightly (or not so lightly) hold your finger to make sure you don't move it as he steps up. I feel like this is probably normal to use their beak as a third foot? But the problem comes when sometimes he'll bite instead. I can't read his body language because in both cases he has his head down. So then I get nervous asking him to step up, not knowing if he'll step or bite, which makes things worse. Occasionally he'll happily step up but then a minute later reach down and bite my thumb. I also wanted to teach him to wave but can't since he uses his beak and not his foot. Any thoughts? Other body language I might be missing? Can I retrain him to step up with his foot first? Oh and he is stick trained also, tho oddly if I have the stick in my right hand he'll happily step up but then run down and bite my hand. If I have the stick in my left hand he's fine. Any thoughts on this too?

I don't know, but my galah uses her beak if she has to "bridge a gap" to get on my hand. If I put it right up to her chest, she's just feet, but if she has to step down from her perch or something and it's not right on her, she'll put her beak down first.

With the stick thing, is your thumb towards him when you're using your right hand and away from him with your left? I'm wondering whether it's your thumb he's going for each time?

Does your blue crown 'bite' or just kind of mouth you but due to how sharp his beak is, it 'bites'? I know Gilbert likes to mouth/nibble on me, which can be annoying due to how sharp he is, so i say 'NO". i know he isn't doing it to bite but i still am trying to teach him not to do it. Gilbert tends to do it more when he is wound up (i have music on, tv is loud, all the lights are on and he is in 'hell raisin' mode).
If he isn't biting hard, you could maybe start by having his beak filed down a tiny bit so it is less sharp, and you are therefore less likely to be nervous when training him to step up? Just an idea.

It seems like they feed off your energy, so I would personally approach asking for a step-up without anticipating a bite - stay calm and happy. Even if you get bitten, forget it right away and go for another step up. Keep asking for a step up till he starts stepping up nicely with no PAINFUL bites, then he can have a treat and a long break - always end on a good note. If he starts getting excited and really biting hard, then put him down, give him a few minutes to calm down and try again.

Also sometimes they like to give little experimental bites and don't mean for it to hurt, maybe keeping that in mind will help with the fear of being bitten.

I watched him a little closer the past few days. I don't think where my thumb is with the stick seems to matter. I've started trying to give him a treat at the opposite end of the stick, away from my hand. Sometimes I'll also give him a treat before asking him to step-up so that his mouth is occupied. Not sure if they is enforcing a wrong behavior though? You might be right on actual vs exploring bites. He'll bite enough to bruise and scratch some skin, but I know he'll capable of much harder bites. Or are even those bites too hard? I didn't know about filing their beak. He does have quite the sharp hook/point, I'll ask the vet about it. I keep trying to stay calm but I'm a pretty big wuss when it comes to bites...I definitely need to work on that. You'd think he would be calmer knowing I was more nervous? Or does that just make him nervous too?

Or does that just make him nervous too?
Generally, I find this with all animals. Any tension and they pick up on it and it makes them tense as well. Think about somebody approaching you. If they are all loose and relaxed you don't think they are somebody to worry about. If they are all clenched, you wonder why and whether they are going to run off or hit you or something. You don't even have to consciously think these things, just seeing somebody obviously tense does change your response.

Yes feeling nervous will make him feel nervous too. Also, sometimes they bite because they love you. Kiwi bit me REALLY hard because my dog jumped up and startled her. She bit me to tell me to run away (before she fluttered off). In the confusion she forgot her strength and gave me a nice pinch that bruised and bled. I had to laugh, it was painful but so funny.

Bites can be scary, but it's good to train yourself to correct, forgive and forget right away. That's why I suggested going in for another step up right away, because as soon as you think too much about it, fear will take over and you will probably go back a step.

When you and your bird get more familiar with each other, you will start to see why, when and what type of bite is coming. Listen to your bird, and see what he does when you are making him uncomfortable, and then try copying him. Kiwi loves preening, but when I rub a feather the wrong way she will shriek at me. So when she starts getting too beaky with me , to a point of being uncomfortable I will shriek at her, and she will stop because it's a language she understands that means "that hurts!".

Hang in there!

You might also try offering your hand in different ways.... offer just one or two fingers, offer your palm flat, offer your hand right next to or on the perch...

My female green cheek bites and then hangs on and grinds her beak. She only does this when coming out of her cage. For awhile waiting for her to come outside would work and she wouldn't bite when asking to step up but lately she's been starting to bite when asking to step up anywhere on her cage. Her bites hurt worse then when our cockatoo. So I've started using pencils and pens to ask her to step up the last week or so (don't have an extra perch at the moment). This has been working fine she has even stopped biting the pencil because she knows she doesn't get a reaction.

Have you tried making a fuss over him when he steps up without doing anything bad? I would say don't give a reaction when he is bad but I know thats hard, so I might try the perch if I were you. Also, if he has a favorite treat I would save that for giving to him only when he steps up nicely.

Also, my green cheeks warning before she bites is when she is puffed up slightly around the neck area not sure if the warning is the same for blue crowns.

If you keep your finger about the height of where the legs join the body, and move with assurance until you are just about to touch him, he won't be able to bite you. This is also the most comfortable position for birds to step up. If you hesitate or have your finger too high, you give him a chance to bite or a reason to try to use his beak to climb. Keep practicing!

Most Reactions

Back