Sneezy budgie!

Reuben

Dec 12, 2013
Canada
Parrots
Lady - Recessive Pied Budgie
Lady came home with me about eight days ago. Since then, she sneezes every now and then-- sometimes two or three times in a row. I wondered if my room was too dusty, so I tidied it up and did some much-needed cleaning of the walls and such.

She still spends most her time sitting on one perch or eating/drinking. I saw her play just once, about three nights ago-- she was hopping around and singing and playing with her toys, but she hasn't done it since... hmm.

I was planning to schedule her first appointment with an avian vet in early January since it's getting late in the year and the weather has been terrible lately, as well as we're just the tiniest bit short on money. Is this any cause for alarm? Should I take her sooner?

Has she had a checkup since you got her? It might be good enough reason to bring her in for that and voice the concerns you have with the vet.

Is there any discharge when she sneezes? If so it's vet time.

If not try and increase the humidity in your room and see if that helps the sneezing.

Oh and try to mist her a little with a spray bottle too, that helps with dust and dander. You want to mist the spray bottle over the bird with warm water, not directly at her. This should be done at least a few times a week, every day if possible. You can do five sprays, and in warmer weather, she might like to get a little wetter. You should do it in a warm room.

There's no discharge, she seems to sneeze after she's done preening herself or while eating most the time. Perhaps I should take her sooner, then?

Oh and try to mist her a little with a spray bottle too, that helps with dust and dander. You want to mist the spray bottle over the bird with warm water, not directly at her. This should be done at least a few times a week, every day if possible. You can do five sprays, and in warmer weather, she might like to get a little wetter. You should do it in a warm room.

That's a great suggestion, also do it earlier in the day, you don't want them wet when they go to bed for the night.

That's a great suggestion, also do it earlier in the day, you don't want them wet when they go to bed for the night.

I usually do it at noon when the sun is brightest, if you're able to be home with your bird then. I then open the blinds and let the sun blast in. At this time of year, in North America, it can get pretty cold, and when you turn up the heat, it gets dryer, and dustier.

My bird sneezes also. He has had clear discharge come out before. The avian vet said nothing was wrong, however. I'm not quite sure what the problem is, but I have been giving him more baths and I think this will fix it. If your bird's discharge is green or yellow, or any other colour than a clear fluid, he probably has a respiratory infection. This can be cured easily with some medicine but will become serious if left untreated. However, my bird has been doing this since I've gotten him and I think it is due more to dust and the weather. Just be sure to give him baths every day or every other day to see if it gets better. If he is acting lethargic or showing any other signs of illness, you'll need to go to an avian veteranarian for further treatment.

Also, birds sometimes sneeze after preening when dander gets in their nostrils, after eating when little bits of food get in their nostrils, and they also may sneeze after drinking water or taking a bath when water gets in their nostrils. This may also be the case for my bird. Not sure.

Good luck!

Last edited:
My amazon sneezes in the winter more because of the air being drier from the house heat. We have seen the vet and as blueridge said, our vet also claimed he was healthy. Increase humidity and more baths.

Thank you guys for all the wonderful suggestions! I tried turning the heat up (so she doesn't get cold) misting her and she enjoyed it a lot. I also re-cleaned my room, her sneezing seems a bit down now. She also is moving around a bit more now, and starting to sing. I'll keep an eye on her still.

Also do check her nostrils making sure they're clear of blockage cause she may try to blow out something blocking the airwaves.

I checked her nostrils, no discharge or blockage! Her sneezing has gone down immensely. She's getting very vocal now, too.

i have the same problem!! bamboo used to sneeze a little before, but these days, its like almost every 20 minutes, i dont have a vet here, ill just have to do something myself. oh yeah, when he sneezes, i feel tinnnnny drops on m hand. is it bad?

Birds are sensitive to everything, you need to be careful with odours from cleaning products, candles, insence, bug sprays, smoke from fireplace, cooking with teflon, any of these things can trigger sneezing or even more serious respiratory problems. I used to love burning scented candles before I got my birds but it's something I had to give up :(

If I'm doing a clean of the house, especially mopping , I put my birdies in a cage outside for a little bit and then bring them back in when I'm done.

Yes, and I clean the house with white vinegar and water, which seems to have no effect on them. I even clean the cage with it.

My amazon tends to sneeze a little this time of year. We have brought him to the vet, it is due to dry air from running the heat. If there is no discharge or only a little clear fluid it is of no worry. Provide more humidity and bathing

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back