sneezing conure?

12345___

Jun 9, 2024
Parrots
Black Capped Conure
my conure has js started sneezing a lot (like today)
his beak is still closed unless hes js like flown around a lot and hes breathing normally (like when i listen for anythigni stuck bc last. time it made like a noise)
he doesnt have any of the other like 'sick' symptoms (unlike last time - he was sleepy etc)
last time this happened he had a seed or something small stuck in his throat and vet js gave some antibiotics to reduce the swelling and it went away really quickly
is there anything i can do to stop this or will it go away on its own?

To address a respiratory issue in your conure, closely monitor their behavior, check their environment, ensure proper humidity and ventilation, provide fresh water, keep them warm and comfortable, and consult a vet if symptoms persist or worsen. Early intervention is crucial as respiratory issues can escalate quickly.

To address a respiratory issue in your conure, closely monitor their behavior, check their environment, ensure proper humidity and ventilation, provide fresh water, keep them warm and comfortable, and consult a vet if symptoms persist or worsen. Early intervention is crucial as respiratory issues can escalate quickly.
hes been completely fine since then
but hes just started again today
now im starting to realise he does it after he has a bath (mb because its winter and a lot drier?)
i'm going to keep monitoring him and ive set a timer so I can check if hes still sneezing after about an hour

THe occasional sneeze, like after a bath, of just to clear dust etc from his nostrils, is not a cause for concern. COntinous sneezing, especially if there is no obvious outside cause, is reason enough to be concerned and a certified avian vet should be consulted. I would also highly recommend weighing him daily, using a inexpensive kitchen scale. Parrots very often do not show outward signs of illness, on purpose - being a prey animal, the obvious sick ones are the fastest caught and eaten! But they cannot hide weight loss and that is the most reliable sign of trouble. A loss of 2-5% of his "well" weight should trigger a trip to the vet, and quickly too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back