Sleeper Cage

A&E Cage Co. Victorian Open Top Bird Cage and Stand | Wayfair A&E Cage Co. Victorian Open Top Bird Cage and Stand (I'm sure this would be a pain to bring anywhere, but the locks are what I had in mind).

Any thoughts?:confused::confused:

I vote for this one. The collapsible one is ok for night cage, but for any other extended amount of AWAKE time, I think it is too small for a Pionus.

The Budgie ones are not appropriate as the bars can easily get snapped or bent.

Even though Pionus tend to be low energy parrots you do want to encourage movement, even outside or on vacation. I do believe that since you already have a carrier type cage for vet visits/emergency, a larger sturdier cage will be more useful and more suitable for your parrot. If you go on vacation with your bird, or bring him to a relative or sitter, you will want a decent size cage to be comfortable in, even if you still want a smaller size for easy transport.

I own 2 Pionus and only go by what my experience is with mine. Hope this helps.

PS: You can easily remove the stand for easier transport.

That's a sleeper cage? That the cage I used for Rio's main cage in the living room. Actually looking at it again it is a little different from mine, although mine is an A&E mine is a little wider and taller.

Last edited:
A&E Cage Co. Victorian Open Top Bird Cage and Stand | Wayfair A&E Cage Co. Victorian Open Top Bird Cage and Stand (I'm sure this would be a pain to bring anywhere, but the locks are what I had in mind).

Any thoughts?:confused::confused:

I vote for this one. The collapsible one is ok for night cage, but for any other extended amount of AWAKE time, I think it is too small for a Pionus.

The Budgie ones are not appropriate as the bars can easily get snapped or bent.

Even though Pionus tend to be low energy parrots you do want to encourage movement, even outside or on vacation. I do believe that since you already have a carrier type cage for vet visits/emergency, a larger sturdier cage will be more useful and more suitable for your parrot. If you go on vacation with your bird, or bring him to a relative or sitter, you will want a decent size cage to be comfortable in, even if you still want a smaller size for easy transport.

I own 2 Pionus and only go by what my experience is with mine. Hope this helps.

PS: You can easily remove the stand for easier transport.

That's a sleeper cage? That the cage I used for Rio's main cage in the living room.

17W x 22D is not big enough for a Pionus as a main cage, so yes, it would be suitable only as a sleep cage or travel cage.

Has anyone ever used, or seen, a cage like this?
Acrylic Parrot Bird Cage Scallop Top Cockatiel Conure 21.5" x 18.5" x 61"H
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Acrylic-Parrot-Scallop-Cockatiel-Conure/dp/B00ADXF1K8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=PSCJU5SRKUCL&coliid=IDIK5WES5YQF8]Amazon.com: Acrylic Parrot Bird Cage Scallop Top Cockatiel Conure 21.5" x 18.5" x 61"H: Pet Supplies[/ame]

The A&E 17x22 cage might be too tall (35" inside height) for where I want to keep it. This one is a bit more manageable at 30", and might be lighter considering the front and back panels are acrylic.

Amazon.com: Acrylic Parrot Bird Cage Scallop Top Cockatiel Conure 21.5" x 18.5" x 61"H: Pet Supplies

The A&E 17x22 cage might be too tall (35" inside height) for where I want to keep it. This one is a bit more manageable at 30", and might be lighter considering the front and back panels are acrylic.

I personally wont touch acrylic cages. I feel that if sun is coming in through the acrylic panes, it's going to heat up like a furness, despite the two barred openings. That's just my take on it though. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the bird in there unsupervised.

Amazon.com: Acrylic Parrot Bird Cage Scallop Top Cockatiel Conure 21.5" x 18.5" x 61"H: Pet Supplies

I personally wont touch acrylic cages. I feel that if sun is coming in through the acrylic panes, it's going to heat up like a furness, despite the two barred openings. That's just my take on it though. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the bird in there unsupervised.

hhmm, good point. As a sleeper cage and travel cage it would probably work, but might not be so great to use outside, even supervised.

Not good for outside, not enough ventilation, plus very hard for the bird to get from one perch to another without being able to climb. These work better for small flighted birds such as Canaries or Finches.

I'm thinking the Avian Adventures Nina Playtop might be a good option.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nina-Playtop-Bird-Cage-Platinum/dp/B006P48Z70/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=PSCJU5SRKUCL&coliid=I1EMHIBG46HWC1"]Amazon.com: Nina Playtop Bird Cage - Platinum - 20"L x 18"D x 25"H: Pet Supplies[/ame]

I have the Mediana (same cage, but larger) for her regular day time cage and I was extremely impressed at how quick and easy it was to put together. I could see the Nina being easy to take apart to throw in the back of the car for weekend trips. Just not sure if it can be used without the legs/stand; most likely not.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back