Sick Conure, throwing up anything she consumes.

rosietpoes

Sep 30, 2024
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure, Parakeets
Hi all, I am taking steps outside of this forum to ensure my girl’s health and safety but I was hoping for some additional experience and advice.

I have a 4 year old GCC, assumed girl without blood test. Last night she got 2 licks of an Outshine fruit icepop (containing sorbitol). She began throwing up like 15-20 min after eating this. After 3 pukes, we decided to head to an emergency vet.

Upon arrival, she was acting lively and normal and had not thrown up since before the hour-long drive had even started. She even ate a little bit on the way there. We figured maybe she had an upset stomach and might be doing better bc she had not been throwing up.

We now believe she was just masking up, as right before bed she had vomitted again, all clear so likely just water.

She doesn’t seem interested in pellets, but I have been giving her some millet so she gets something inside of her. I have gotten her to drink but we can tell it’s upsetting her stomach. Just this morning I gave her water at around 8am, and at 8:40ish she vomited again.

Her poops seem to have mostly just urates (white part) in them.

Aside from throwing up, her only other visible symptoms would he closing her eyes/squinting and being lethargic with abnormal posture. I don’t notice excessively labored breathing and her vent appears clean.

My boyfriend is on his way back to the emergency vet as they now have a doctor there, and we will advocate to get her some antibiotic if it will help, something to get her hydrating and likely a full panel so we can see if there is a bigger issue here than just ingesting an icepop with sorbitol in it. All symptoms have arisen after the sorbitol ingestion.

I read on this forum and others that we can offer her unflavored pedialyte to help with hydration, so I gave her a capfull of that mixed with bottled water.

I really hope my girl turns out okay!! But I am extremely scared at the moment. I can attach pics of poop and throw up where she did throw some millet up.

Attachments

• IMG_0843.jpeg
    IMG_0843.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0842.jpeg
    IMG_0842.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0844.jpeg
    IMG_0844.jpeg
    338.1 KB · Views: 2
Forgot to add- I recorded video of the throw up, lethargy, poop and throw up to show the vet to ensure that her issues are taken seriously.

How scary! I'm so sorry.
If you want more vet advice or second opinion?

Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.
If none are near you, maybe you could call and ask for a recommendation for somebody in your area.
And... sometimes, distant vets will offer brief thoughts or advice...

I am holding you and your darling in my heart!

How scary! I'm so sorry.

Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
If none are near you, maybe you could call and ask for a recommendation for somebody in your area.

How scary! I'm so sorry.

Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians

Looks like the closest one may be the one my boyfriend is currently at. He’s still waiting to be seen there.

Most Reactions

Back