Shunning

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Sun Conure: Charlie (male)
Be careful when shunning a parrot. It’s only the second time I’ve ever done this with Nico my Ekkie (I’ve had him 3 years now). He went after my husband aggressively, and tried to bite him. I intervened. I had Nico step up, and I set him down of the back of a chair. Then I gave him my back, and walked away. 10 minutes later I checked on him, and he ripped out feathers (he was bleeding as he ripped out a flight feather). I counted 5 feathers he ripped out, and he scissored another 3. He hasn’t done this in over a year now. He was very sensitive to being “shunned”. I just wanted to forewarn others encase you may have a “sensitive” parrot as well. Sometimes the outcomes aren’t as we expect. I’ve shunned my conures when they’ve done things like biting too hard when preening me with no issue. I’m sure this will vary upon parrot.

I just wanted to share this encase others “shun” their parrots for bad behaviors. My Ekkie didn’t take it well at all.

I learn something new every day! I have had my macaw for nearly 50 years and am just learning about “shunning.” Luckily my bird is well-behaved 95% of the time and he doesn’t hold a grudge when I bust him for his 5% naughtiness.

Sorry to learn about the feather plucking. Your bird has a sensitive soul.

Yep, I agree w/'Boats there - 1 minute - no more, no less. Less and the message doesn't sink in, more and the lesson is lost and the bird might well get emotional or not remember why he was abandoned.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back