Senegal or Red Bellied?? Never had a bird and having trouble deciding!

Senegals are fine pets! They are sweet, intelegent, and have huge personalities. If I where you, I would not buy either....Both are birds that require some bird/parrot experience. Parrots are not like dogs, cats, or rodents....They are one of the hardest pets to own. Actualy, they ARE the hardests pets to own. They are just like children, and need constant attention. Petting it and giving it peanuts does not count. They must be socialized on an every day basis, and you probably wont be able to travel or vacation any more....Your life revolves around them. Check out Meyers Parrots, Cockateils, and Parollets. They are beginer breeds, and are more independent. They are also smaller, and make a smaller mess. I own a Poicephalus, who is about 7 months old now, and I pretty much sold my soul to him. I have had Parakeets, and Cockateils, which prepaired me for owning a larger parrot, but I wasn't a fraction of the work I put into owning Frankie. He is my world. Everything I do revolves around him. He is a Brown headed parrot, a quiter cousin of the Senegal Parrot, and is allot more independent. But he can still throw a Macaw level tantrum. Good luck becoming a new parrot parent. It is quite a journey.

PS- Do NOT choose a parrot buy its color.... I chose the "ugliest" of the species, but he is the nicest cousin. He looks like a Senegal, but has no yellow vest. Just neon green pants, and yellow under-wing. You will find that personality counts much more then beauty.

Shae,
I am fully aware of the requirements of owning a parrot. I'm not making this decision lightly, hence why I came on this forum to gain a bit of information from fellow bird owners. I would never just run out and buy the first "pretty bird" I see. But thanks. I also don't appreciate being told to "not chose a parrot based on its color." If I were going to do that , I would never have joined this forum, I wouldn't be asking questions, and I would have run to the nearest pet store to get any bird. But no, I want to know the pros and cons of each bird I'm interested in, and I plan on going through a reputable breeder. Just because you yourself have a bird, doesn't mean that the people who don't have birds are any less capable of taking care of one. I was simply coming on here to get some insider info from people who have experience. I think that that right there makes me more responsible than most. My initial thoughts were between the Senegal and Red Bellied, but after more consideration, research and speaking to others, I've decided to go with the Green Cheek Conure. I don't plan on bringing a bird into my home until I am fully prepared for it, but when the time comes, you better believe that that bird will have the best life, with an owner who cares. I have two cats and one dog, and they are my life.

To everyone else, thank you for your well written, and helpful advice! My husband and I have chosen a baby Green Cheek conure, and he will be ready to go home in about 2.5 weeks :)

I say if your going to start out with a bird, do exactly what you are doing and research it. Also get a couple of books on parrots. To me, both of the birds you mentioned would make a great starter bird. But you need to get one that has been hand fed and hand tame.

You could toss up a coin, heads Senegal and tails Red Belly. They are both almost identicle. I say eith one. But if you happen across a Meyers, or Jardines, or Pionus don't discount them either. It's mainly going to come down to the birds individual personality and yours.

But just don't more bird than your equipt to handle like a Macaw or Cockatoo or something like that just starting out.

Good luck with your decision and search. Also, welcome to the world of birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back