Seeking Parrot (YHA) Travel Tips: How to Keep My Feathered Friend "Willy" Comfortable & Safe

tassanil

May 20, 2024
Parrots
Amazon
Hi
I was looking through some postings about travelling with a parrot and I have a question. Since I can't bring his cage (it's too big), what should I do about his sleeping arrangements? I have a soft materia carrier and a very small metal travel cage, but I think both are too small and not suitable for him to spend the night in. I haven't travelled anywhere with my parrot except to the vet, and he's fine in the car. However, I'm more concerned about his comfort at night. Even though I just got him on May 19, he is very attached to me, so I think he would rather come with me than stay home with someone else. Any advice?
Thank you in advance!!

At night they sleep. A small cage is fine for sleeping purposes, might even be more comfortable in a new setting. Either the carrier or small cage is fine if he's out aftr you wake.

At night they sleep. A small cage is fine for sleeping purposes, might even be more comfortable in a new setting. Either the carrier or small cage is fine if he's out aftr you wake.
Thank you, good to know.

I have a smaller cage (I would consider it "adequate" but not ideal for a bird her size) I use when I take Bumble with me. Depending on the length of the trip (if we're in the car) she will either go into her pak-o-bird for the drive or into the cage itself. Be careful about hanging toys if you go that route. Not sure this would work as well for an Amazon who probably needs something bigger to be adequate but it works for us and I travel with her a lot.

Hi
I was looking through some postings about travelling with a parrot and I have a question. Since I can't bring his cage (it's too big), what should I do about his sleeping arrangements? I have a soft materia carrier and a very small metal travel cage, but I think both are too small and not suitable for him to spend the night in. I haven't travelled anywhere with my parrot except to the vet, and he's fine in the car. However, I'm more concerned about his comfort at night. Even though I just got him on May 19, he is very attached to me, so I think he would rather come with me than stay home with someone else. Any advice?
Thank you in advance!!
It will not be easy to travel without an adequate cage. Then these trips help create better bond with your pet as well. Have fun.

You can try a travel back pack for birds. Maybe your bird is comfy in them, my conure hated it.

It will not be easy to travel without an adequate cage. Then these trips help create better bond with your pet as well. Have fun.

You can try a travel back pack for birds. Maybe your bird is comfy in them, my conure hated it.
Thanks Kiwi&Zeus! Willy is the opposite, he goes in the "material" carrier no problem and seems to enjoy looking all around . It is mesh on the sides and luckily he doesn't attempt to chewy it or try to get out. It's a backpack but I wear it infront so he can see my face and I can talk to him etc... Whereas with the metal travel cage...he hates it.

Thanks Kiwi&Zeus! Willy is the opposite, he goes in the "material" carrier no problem and seems to enjoy looking all around . It is mesh on the sides and luckily he doesn't attempt to chewy it or try to get out. It's a backpack but I wear it infront so he can see my face and I can talk to him etc... Whereas with the metal travel cage...he hates it.
Seems like a perfect setup for an awesome trip. Have lots of fun mate.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back