Seeking Advice for Training My First Bird

lochnessa33

Sep 29, 2024
Parrots
lovebird
Hi everyone,

About three months ago, a beautiful bird unexpectedly flew onto my dadā€™s head while he was outside talking to a neighbor. My parents managed to get her inside by showing her some food, and ever since, sheā€™s been a part of our family. Even though my parents were the ones to catch her initially, sheā€™s bonded closely with me. She spends her days with me, sleeps near me at night, and her favorite spots are my shoulders or head.

Hereā€™s where I could use some advice:
Iā€™m trying to teach her to "step up." She will do it willingly when sheā€™s in unfamiliar territory (like if sheā€™s flown to a place sheā€™s not used to or ended up on the floor), but if sheā€™s just out and about, she refuses. Sheā€™ll even shake her head and sometimes make a noise. Occasionally, sheā€™ll attempt to nip (she doesnā€™t really bite hard unless Iā€™m too persistent), but Iā€™ve learned to read her cues pretty well and back off when necessary.

I feel like I may have started backwards, as most people teach their birds to "step up" first and then introduce petting and perching on shoulders. With her, I did the opposite. Iā€™d love to get her comfortable with stepping up consistently. Sheā€™s also become quite territorial with anything in her surroundings, which Iā€™m not sure is normal or not.

My goal is to work towards flight training and build her confidence to come to me on command. But for now, Iā€™d love any tips or suggestions on improving her "step up" behavior and any advice on dealing with her territorial tendencies.

Am I rushing things? Should I just be happy with the progress so far and take it slow? Iā€™ve never had a bird before, so I want to make sure Iā€™m doing things right!

Thanks in advance for any help! šŸ˜Š

P.S. Last week, she slept with her neck back and one foot up for the first time, but she hasnā€™t done it again since then. Does anyone know what this could mean or give me a rough idea of how old she might be? My mom mentioned something about her transitioning into adulthood.

Attachments

• 20240929_142318.jpg
    20240929_142318.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240929_142231.jpg
    20240929_142231.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240929_142351.jpg
    20240929_142351.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240926_093411.jpg
    20240926_093411.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240923_195847.jpg
    20240923_195847.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 7
What a beauty. A Parrotlet, I think?
Just some ideas...

Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.
If none are near you, maybe you could call and ask for a recommendation for somebody in your area.
And... sometimes, distant vets will offer brief thoughts or advice...

What's the diet? That's critical for health. Too many are kept on seeds or other poor-nutrition things. They need veggies, legumes, grains... pellets are a good staple. Here's what I use.
I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff, like fruits and vegetables! My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day. I also like Harrison's via mail because I never have to worry about out-of-date products.

Since you're a new parront, I'll just drop a note about avoiding teflon pans, which can be lethal to birds if overheated.

I'm glad you're here. Lots to learn and share and enjoy!

I agree, thats a parrotlet, not a lovebird. THey are like miniature Amazon parrots in temperament and like a LOT of tiny parrots, think they are macaws. Bold and inquisitive, feisty on occasion. FOr excellent info on parrots in general, read the I Love AMazons thread on our Amazon sub forum.

Training - I've been working with my 'zon Salty for some 9 years and he knows 45 or so tricks. We train every night with a variety of them. I suggest setting a specific time every day for this, and not long, 15-20 min tops. Less at first. You are going to be very surprised when he understands its training time - he will come to it ready to learn and I will bet he does great. Dont rush things, he will be around for a long time! Figure out his very favorite treat and that becomes your training tool.

Most Parrotlets are not crazy about petting and scratches but some like it. THats a very individual thing.

Most Reactions

Back