safe grow lights (not for weed :( lol!)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I have a bunch of plants...when I think of "grow lights" I think of pot, but growing pot is not my intention. I want to supplement the light my herbs etc get indoors--- are there any bird safe varieties? I am worried that they will get hot and if they are coated with ptfe/pfoa/pfcs, this could be a problem (I know some heat lamps have these coatings).

Grow lights should not be hot!

The best source would be any Big Box Store's lighting department. Search for 4' long florescent tube. The are sold in two packs and marked as Grow Bulbs and (if I remember correctly) have a green ting to them or they omit a slight green ting. Next, you will need a two bulb 4' florescent tube fixture. Warning; Grow light bulbs tend to have a short life regarding the proper color spectrum. It is not uncommon if you get a single growing season from the bulb until it has shifted color enough to not provide anything better than a standard florescent bulb.

Regarding pricing and fixtures. This is one of those items that you get what you pay for. If you plan to use it for a couple of months and it sits until next year, target a low cost unit. The lowest price units do not come with a reflector /dust shield. Once again, if you plan is for a short period of time, the shield is not worth getting. Noise (buzzing sound) - If you are using this inside near where you are going to be and you are sensitive to background noise, you may want to ask for a unit with a quality ballast (converts AC to DC voltage), i.e. low noise, long life unit. NOTE: this one thing can more than double the cost of the fixture.

FYI: LED 'Grow' Light Fixtures are becoming more common. They are commonly more expensive and state they maintain color spectrum longer. I have no experience with them.

Last edited:
The best source would be any Big Box Store's lighting department. Search for 4' long florescent tubs. The are sold in two packs and marked as Grow Bulbs and (if I remember correctly) have a green ting to them or they omit a slight green ting. Next, you will need a two bulb 4' florescent tub fixture. Warning; Grow light bulbs tend to have a short life regarding the proper color spectrum. It is not uncommon if you get a single growing season from the bulb until it has shifted color enough to not provide anything better than a standard florescent bulb.

Regarding pricing and fixtures. This is one of those items that you get what you pay for. If you plan to use it for a couple of months and it sets until next year, target a low cost unit. The lowest price units do not come with a reflector /dust shield. Once again, if you plan is for a short period of time, the shield is not worth getting. Noise (buzzing sound) - If you are using this inside near where you are going to be and you are sensitive to background noise, you may want to ask for a unit with a quality ballast (converts AC to DC voltage), i.e. low noise, long life unit. NOTE: this one thing can more than double the cost of the fixture.

FYI: LED 'Grow' Light Fixtures are becoming more common. They are commonly more expensive and state they maintain color spectrum longer. I have no experience with them.

WOW--THANK YOU! I thought posting this was a total shot-in-the-dark, so I never expected such an informed response (as my post felt kind of obscure and slightly off-topic lol!) I appreciate it!!! If they don't get hot, that is huge....I found some clamp varieties on Amazon that got good reviews...but they were under $50.00...so I am not sure... I am not wanting an industrial (hang-from-the-ceiling) set-up, although my dad had one of these when we were kids and he used it to sprout herbs/peppers etc in winter.

Last edited:
We start our plants out on regular florecants with the mirror reflect style fixture. In those disposable chaffing food service things. Works fine though I'm sure a true grow light would be better. They grow fine.

The best source would be any Big Box Store's lighting department. Search for 4' long florescent tubs. The are sold in two packs and marked as Grow Bulbs and (if I remember correctly) have a green ting to them or they omit a slight green ting. Next, you will need a two bulb 4' florescent tub fixture. Warning; Grow light bulbs tend to have a short life regarding the proper color spectrum. It is not uncommon if you get a single growing season from the bulb until it has shifted color enough to not provide anything better than a standard florescent bulb.

Regarding pricing and fixtures. This is one of those items that you get what you pay for. If you plan to use it for a couple of months and it sets until next year, target a low cost unit. The lowest price units do not come with a reflector /dust shield. Once again, if you plan is for a short period of time, the shield is not worth getting. Noise (buzzing sound) - If you are using this inside near where you are going to be and you are sensitive to background noise, you may want to ask for a unit with a quality ballast (converts AC to DC voltage), i.e. low noise, long life unit. NOTE: this one thing can more than double the cost of the fixture.

WOW--THANK YOU! I thought posting this was a total shot-in-the-dark, so I never expected such an informed response (as my post felt kind of obscure and slightly off-topic lol!) I appreciate it!!! If they don't get hot, that is huge....I found some clamp varieties on Amazon that got good reviews...but they were under $50.00...so I am not sure... I am not wanting an industrial (hang-from-the-ceiling) set-up, although my dad had one of these when we were kids and he used it to sprout herbs/peppers etc in winter.

The tube will get warm to the touch, so not recommended for holding one's hand to the bulb.

The shock and surprise is that the ongoing cost item is the bulb. The industrial appearance is ugly, but the cost item is the replace bulbs. The standard size is 4' bulbs and as a result they are the lowest price. And remember, the color spectrum is only good for maybe one grow season.

So, it's likely ugly and moderate costs or designer with higher cost for the unit and the ongoing cost of replacement bulbs, which may need to be purchased from a speciality shop or the fixture manufacturer, which can get really expensive.

This time of the year, a Southern Window can do the job for 'zero' cost... :D

What kind of plants are you trying to grow?

The 4 foot fluorescent lights are good for low light plants. But if you are growing higher like plants then youā€™ll need something stronger than those, especially if you are growing flowering plants like orchids.

These fluorescent Lights themselves are not very Photosynthetically active beyond 6 to 8 inches above the leaf surface.

<ā€”former orchid grower and professional tropical horticulturist who has grown plants in any way you can imagine.

Last edited:
What kind of plants are you trying to grow?

The 4 foot fluorescent lights are good for low light plants. But if you are growing higher like plants then youā€™ll need something stronger than those, especially if you are growing flowering plants like orchids.

These fluorescent Lights themselves are not very Photosynthetically active beyond 6 to 8 inches above the leaf surface.

<ā€”former orchid grower and professional tropical horticulturist who has grown plants in any way you can imagine.

Basil, rosemary, Kalanchoe (a ton of other succulents), collard greens (already on their way to transplant)....just...a mixed bag lol

Largely not enough light by far, those are all largely full sun plants. The herbs: are they seed starters meant for transplant outside, or meant for indoor growth?

Largely not enough light by far, those are all largely full sun plants. The herbs: are they seed starters meant for transplant outside, or meant for indoor growth?

I wanted a light so I could grow them indoors--- I have a billion succulents and I KNOW they will not survive the winter in my zone (minus Hens and Chicks maybe), so I was looking for an alternative (and hoping to find a way to keep indoor herbs all year)
I am doing a lot outside right now, but I will have to bring them in...and actually, about 12 succulents are still indoors...
The collard greens will be grown outdoors..but herbs and succulents would be nice to bring in over the winter.

Hereā€™s an idea, donā€™t know if this occurred to you: why not grow everything outdoors during the summer? Many diehard tropical hobbies will put their plants outdoors during the summer so they can experience a couple seasons of seriously optimal culture.

The challenge with indoor herbs all year long is that they are full sun plants. They need direct sunlight all year long. Also, many are hardy perennials up to zone 5 or so depending on the cultivar, and REQUIRE periods of winter dormancy to survive. Looking at you, Rosemary.

This amount to herbs that, when grown indoors in low light conditions, grow much slower, become leggy, less flavorful, and very prone to pests like mealybug.

In sum: youā€™ll find yourself replacing The herbs yearly anyways. Ample Supplemental lighting With plants in an UNOBSTRUCTED SOUTH FACING WINDOW may slow the decline, but they will still decline. As just something fun to do, sure, go for it! As a long term plan you want to take seriously? Not really something Iā€™d recommend, major headaches abound compared to just growing them outdoors.

I may have some recommendations for lighting solutions, but need to know: how are you planning on growing these plants? On some shelving unit in the basement? Kitchen windowsill? Lighting solutions will be dependent on how/where you intend to to grow the plants.

Hereā€™s an idea, donā€™t know if this occurred to you: why not grow everything outdoors during the summer? Many diehard tropical hobbies will put their plants outdoors during the summer so they can experience a couple seasons of seriously optimal culture.

The challenge with indoor herbs all year long is that they are full sun plants. They need direct sunlight all year long. Also, many are hardy perennials up to zone 5 or so depending on the cultivar, and REQUIRE periods of winter dormancy to survive. Looking at you, Rosemary.

This amount to herbs that, when grown indoors in low light conditions, grow much slower, become leggy, less flavorful, and very prone to pests like mealybug.

In sum: youā€™ll find yourself replacing The herbs yearly anyways. Ample Supplemental lighting With plants in an UNOBSTRUCTED SOUTH FACING WINDOW may slow the decline, but they will still decline. As just something fun to do, sure, go for it! As a long term plan you want to take seriously? Not really something Iā€™d recommend, major headaches abound compared to just growing them outdoors.

I may have some recommendations for lighting solutions, but need to know: how are you planning on growing these plants? On some shelving unit in the basement? Kitchen windowsill? Lighting solutions will be dependent on how/where you intend to to grow the plants.

I have grown things outdoors during the summer but it is always a struggle to keep things alive in the winter (like peppers) they grow big and then it's very difficult to keep them from getting gangly and thin indoors.
I once had a 5 year old chili plant that died (after years of bringing it in) and I was mad..same w/rosemary....ice-storms and crazy low temps finally killed rosemary and chili died because it was staked and snapped in half .

Last edited:

I have grown many things outdoors---just was looking for a "safety net"---I'm in zone 6 I think...maybe with a letter attached to it? I just would like year-round herbs.

I think youā€™re greatest chance at success will come with the use of HID (high intensity discharge) lighting, using metal halide bulbs. They have an industrial look, definitely something to put in a spare bedroom or basement. They can cover a decent area (perhaps 6ā€™x6ā€™) Depending on the wattage of the bulb you use. And they emit enough light suitable for the plants you are growing.

Most Reactions

Back