Ryder's Journal

Snow2023

Aug 15, 2023
Media
Parrots
Budgies
This is the first entry of Ryder's Journal.

Recap: Snow passed away and that was devastating to me and Ryder. Ryder isn't a confident bird. She would rely on Snow to take risks when I was training and bonding. Now that Snow is gone, she has no one to rely on but herself. She must take her own risks.

Ryder Now: Ryder seems to have her own way to grieve this tremendous impact. Snow being weakened needed my care and unfortunately died with me. Ryder never saw this. But she saw the body and seems to know deep inside what's happening. She is chirping for her friend and searches for her every time she is out of the cage (Except when distracted with millet).

Today: Today was about how Ryder is doing in training since Snow's passing. This morning, I gave her some millet and got her out of the cage without panic. She would be panicked out of the cage. But fine-ish on my hand. Fine-ish as in she would be on my hand cautiously but would trust it as long as she had millet. If not, she would fly into the cage.

Also, should I add entries as responses here or as separate posts. I will try and add entries daily.

This is the second entry of Ryder's Journal

Recap: On the very early morning of the 14th of August, 2024, My bird, Snow died. It was devastating to both me and Ryder. Both of us took some time. However, we had to move forward. This is why I made this journal. To document her progress in training. Yesterday, she was tense, but came to my hand once she saw millet. Any movement or sound got her frightened or back in the cage.

Today: This morning was silent. I went to Ryder's cage, and she came to my hand when she learned that millet was present. This time, she let me move slowly with her on my finger. I got another one of those "seed clusters/bulbs/bunches" with my other hand and she let it as long as I softly spoke to her and let her see it. She would also let me move in place eg. turn halfway and back and move my arms.

Unfortunately, not everything I noticed was as good as I thought. It had been made aware to me that Ryder could be bored and depressed. So I think Ryder needs a new friend. Maybe. However, I'd like to get your opinion. Time will tell.

I LOVE SCRAPBOOKS! The Rickeybird's and mine is now gigantic, and it all began with a single entry. I would say... do it however you like it. Mine is usually a special occasion, a landmark, a funny event, a special day... a suggestion... a question... whatever! Pictures are great. s time goes by, you'll treasure these pages. You MIGHT consider a physical scrapbook, as I did, in the early days... hey, there were no Parrot Forums in 1984! Ha!

I LOVE SCRAPBOOKS! The Rickeybird's and mine is now gigantic, and it all began with a single entry. I would say... do it however you like it. Mine is usually a special occasion, a landmark, a funny event, a special day... a suggestion... a question... whatever! Pictures are great. s time goes by, you'll treasure these pages. You MIGHT consider a physical scrapbook, as I did, in the early days... hey, there were no Parrot Forums in 1984! Ha!
I think I am making this into a physical copy. Maybe-

3rd Entry Of Ryder's Journal:

Ryder has been working on her training and has been getting comfortable. She is showing slight signs of comfort. Nothing else has happened other than the search for a companion has commenced.

Last edited:
Ryder Today:
20240819_164244.jpg

This is the fourth entry of Ryder's Journal

Recap: On the very early morning of the 14th of August, 2024, My bird, Snow died. It was devastating to both me and Ryder. Both of us took some time. Now we must move forward. This journal is what logs the progress of me and Ryder bonding.

Today: This morning was the same as the last. Except for I tricked her to fly to my hand without millet and rewarded her after. Also, she was much more calm flying back in the cage. I have been noting budgies up for adoption for Ryder. I have found a few birds that I think could work and I am still looking. I am planning to visit them soon.

This is the fifth entry of Ryder's Journal.

Recap: Nothing new had changed after Snow's passing. I looked into budgies up for adoption and found some nice ones. But the search still goes on.

Ryder Today: I have found her the same. However, I have played some songs to her.
I tried saying the lyrics in a soft voice. She liked it more. Then started screech-chirping and proceeded to chirp at me and fly around. Let's not forget the occasional ruffling of feathers. A shelter has answered my question about one of their budgies. So far so good.

Ryder is such a lucky budgie... so loved.
And so handsome!
That pic above is priceless.

Ryder Last Night. So sleepy (went to bed right after).

20240820_181957~2.jpg

6th Entry Of Ryder's Journal

Recap: Ryder has been responding well to our interactions. But progress when training has remained the same. However, time is key.

Ryder Today: Nothing new has happened.

Last edited:
The 7th entry couldn't be made yesterday so I will post it as soon as it's available.

This is for Yesterday (the 22nd of August)

This is the seventh entry of Ryder's Journal.

Recap: Ryder has been making progress day by day. Nothing really new about her. However, I have been learning about the shelters in the area and there are 5 budgies up for adoption that may be good. I am currently learning more about them.

Ryder Today: Today we listened to some music and we did some training. Nothing much else for today.

This is a special part of the journal. The first week (being quite the week) will have a recap.

This week started August 16th, 2024. This was two days after the passing of Snow. As Ryder, now a lone bird, has been forced to adapt to living without Snow. I made this journal to document this progression.

What we've done:

- Understood the level of our trust

- Calmed her down from the flighty and skittish state Ryder was experiencing.

- Learned a way to get her attention even when she is hearing other sounds. (Making a sound with anything other than your hands)

- Understand the need for & begun the process of getting a new friend for Ryder.

Well done, Ryder.

This is the eighth entry of Ryder's Journal.

Recap: Ryder has been making progress day by day. However, I have been learned that there are 5 budgies up for adoption in the area that may be good. I have learned and am still learning about them.

Ryder Today: Today we listened to some music and we did some training. I have received information about two potential candidates for Ryder's new friend. Thus is getting tricky beacuase every bird gets the same personality description: playful
and curious. I am going to gain further knowledge regarding these individuals to see who truly is right.

How exciting! A New buddy for you and Ryder! I wish you a lot of luck finding the right match. And your training sounds like it is working out well :)

This entry was made on the 24th of August

This is the tenth entry of Ryder's Journal:

Recap: We have been learning about the new budgie arrivals to the shelter. It only is getting harder and harder to decide. However, the process is far from over.

Today: Today I nothing was too different from the usual. No updates other than more confidence and comfort being established as time passes.

This entry was made on the 25th of August

This is the eleventh entry of Ryder's Journal

Recap: Ryder and I continued progress with her training. I can see she's getting better.

Today: Today was a very special day. Ryder and I were going to drop her off at a friend's house as I was going away for three days. On the journey there she was extremely scared in the beginning. However, she, in all that was going on, saw curiosity and safety in me. This confirmed that Ryder, despite all that fear and anxiety inside her, had established more confidence and trust in me than I originally thought. This was the first visible sign of such growth.

This is the 12th entry of Ryder's Journal

Recap: Ryder was scared during the past few days while she was at a friend's house. The journey showed some new things that were surprising to see.

Today: Ryder has been a cautious since her arrival home. She might be molting but I did see her loose some feathers due to stress. The good news is she won't have to be in such a situation for a long time. I have noticed a change in her posture. She is now in a more stressed position (skinny, unpoofed with tail bobbing) and I can sort of feel the energy with her just much stressed. I can tell she is stressed and I may need to be with her a little more for her to avoid this loneliness (I am getting her a friend as soon as I can. Trust me). Other wise not much has happened. I know we'll get through this. I would like some tips on how to help her out.

Most Reactions

Back