Rescuing a Brown head Parrot in Need: Seeking Advice for a New Arrival

ShoaibKhatri

Aug 21, 2024
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Dear All,

I wanted to share some news and seek your advice. Today, I brought home a new parrot to give him the love and care he deserves.

I am relatively new to parrot ownership. It's been a month since I got my African grey, and we're forming a strong bond. Today, while driving home, I noticed a street vendor (I live in Mozambique, Africa) with a very small wooden cage containing a bird. Although I hadn't planned to approach him, something compelled me to stop, and I ended up buying the parrot on impulse without knowing any details about him.

I was deeply concerned to see the parrot in such a cramped cage and was troubled by the conditions in which he was kept. Without hesitation, I decided to bring him home.

Since arriving, the little guy has been quite traumatized. He has been reluctant to eat anything except corn and has not been drinking water despite my best efforts. Through a friend, I learned that he is a "Brown-headed parrot," which fits as they are native to this region of Africa.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to help him feel more comfortable and settle into his new home. I want him to know he is now part of a loving family that will ensure he is well taken care of. I gave him a much-needed shower before placing him in his new, spacious cage, separate from my African grey, as I want to ensure both birds have their own space for now.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this and for any guidance you can provide.

Best regards,
S K

Congrats and thanks for rescuing this little one.

However, new parrots should be held in quarantine for 1 month, lest they introduce a disease or pest into the home and your Grey. Understand that this may not be practical in all homes.

Just let the new guy settle in. You might have stressed him with the bath immediately upon getting him home, but thats water under the bridge (or down the drain). Continue to monitor his food and water intake, best way is to weigh daily and record the results - losing more then 2-3% is cause for concern. Try to figure out his favorite treat and use that as your 'ambassador' to getting aquatinted.

Congrats and thanks for rescuing this little one.

However, new parrots should be held in quarantine for 1 month, lest they introduce a disease or pest into the home and your Grey. Understand that this may not be practical in all homes.

Just let the new guy settle in. You might have stressed him with the bath immediately upon getting him home, but thats water under the bridge (or down the drain). Continue to monitor his food and water intake, best way is to weigh daily and record the results - losing more then 2-3% is cause for concern. Try to figure out his favorite treat and use that as your 'ambassador' to getting aquatinted.
Thank you for the valuable advice. I’ll definitely follow your recommendations, especially regarding the quarantine period and monitoring his food and water intake closely.

Thanks again for your guidance!

Dear All,

I wanted to share some news and seek your advice. Today, I brought home a new parrot to give him the love and care he deserves.

I am relatively new to parrot ownership. It's been a month since I got my African grey, and we're forming a strong bond. Today, while driving home, I noticed a street vendor (I live in Mozambique, Africa) with a very small wooden cage containing a bird. Although I hadn't planned to approach him, something compelled me to stop, and I ended up buying the parrot on impulse without knowing any details about him.

I was deeply concerned to see the parrot in such a cramped cage and was troubled by the conditions in which he was kept. Without hesitation, I decided to bring him home.

Since arriving, the little guy has been quite traumatized. He has been reluctant to eat anything except corn and has not been drinking water despite my best efforts. Through a friend, I learned that he is a "Brown-headed parrot," which fits as they are native to this region of Africa.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to help him feel more comfortable and settle into his new home. I want him to know he is now part of a loving family that will ensure he is well taken care of. I gave him a much-needed shower before placing him in his new, spacious cage, separate from my African grey, as I want to ensure both birds have their own space for now.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this and for any guidance you can provide.

Best regards,
S K
Aaaw! Congratulations on your new family member, what a great bird to adopt. :) I’d give him space and time. Set up his cage so he has options: many perches, many toys. A variety of food: seed specifically for parrots, fresh fruits and vegetables, herbs, and flowers. Check the list of safe foods online before feeding. Pellets are very popular, but he probably wasn’t eating those, so I wouldn’t use them right now. Cover the back half of the cage with a sheet so he feels safe. Birds need 12 hours of sleep, so I’d cover the cage at night, it will give him a chance to wind down. I’d hold off on the baths until he finds his bearings, a week or so. Get a spray bottle and mist him with water a few times a week. Go slow. Speak softly to him, offer treats throughout the day. I wouldn’t rush anything, or try to hold him until he’s comfortable. When he starts bowing his head, you’ll know he’s feel safe and ready for interaction. You have a kind heart, I know you’ll have a great life together.

Aaaw! Congratulations on your new family member, what a great bird to adopt. :) I’d give him space and time. Set up his cage so he has options: many perches, many toys. A variety of food: seed specifically for parrots, fresh fruits and vegetables, herbs, and flowers. Check the list of safe foods online before feeding. Pellets are very popular, but he probably wasn’t eating those, so I wouldn’t use them right now. Cover the back half of the cage with a sheet so he feels safe. Birds need 12 hours of sleep, so I’d cover the cage at night, it will give him a chance to wind down. I’d hold off on the baths until he finds his bearings, a week or so. Get a spray bottle and mist him with water a few times a week. Go slow. Speak softly to him, offer treats throughout the day. I wouldn’t rush anything, or try to hold him until he’s comfortable. When he starts bowing his head, you’ll know he’s feel safe and ready for interaction. You have a kind heart, I know you’ll have a great life together.
Thank you so much for the advice and support! My rescue parrot has indeed been through a lot, and I’m focusing on giving him a peaceful and safe environment. I’ve rearranged his cage with more perches and toys to keep him entertained, and I’m offering a variety of fresh foods. I’ll be sure to check the list of safe foods to avoid any issues. Your tip about covering the back half of the cage is great, and I’ll make sure to give him plenty of quiet time and rest. I’m definitely going slow with him.

Your advice is invaluable, and I’m hopeful that with time, he’ll thrive in his new home. Thanks again!

I'm short on advice but long on admiration... thank you for rescuing this bird. You have found the best place on the 'net for info and support. You sound like our kind of folks. I hope you'll continue sharing your story!

I'm short on advice but long on admiration... thank you for rescuing this bird. You have found the best place on the 'net for info and support. You sound like our kind of folks. I hope you'll continue sharing your story!

Thank you so much for your kind words. Definitely I will continue to provide updates here :)

Most Reactions

Back