Rescued CAG.. I need advice!!

I find it so hard to believe that people can do this with such beautiful creatures :( but its great you saved him :) . Give him a few days to get used to the nice new environment. Then let him come out on his own. Also you should put your hand in the cage multiple times a day to build trust with him. After you have done this then hold a sprig of millet in your hand and get him to eat it. i have found this to work with most birds. Once he is used to you doing this you can then try to get him to step up in the cage by pressing on his abdomen. if he wont step up hold the treat just behind your finger so he has more incentive to step up. if this works repeat the action. From this point do what you would do with your other birds. Eventually you should be able to handle him without those FAbites. Good luck and i hope this will help. :D

Btw have you kept him away from your other birds as he might have diseases/ worms or parasites (just a precaution) :confused:

A note on quarantine there.. No I haven't. My reasoning is that he has seemed to survive very well for 20 years.. still looks healthy/ all things considered... so I figure if he had any problems it would have already shown.
His last wing trim and trip to vet was about a year ago. So he is flighted nowl if he wants to...so I have to take care also he doesn't hurt himself in a panic flight. This bird once was a spoiled rotten sweetie that went everywhere with daddy.. I know it'll take patience and a lil bleeding on my part to hopefully bring him back.
He has allowed me to pet / preen him a bit and seems to like it. But 2 minutes later he tries to nail me. My BFA is LOTs more sane ).

You were being told what you never witnessed. Illness can't be seen right out in the open. They can be carriers but never show symptoms but pops out when they're stressed and with low immune system like people. They can hide them quite well, are you willing to risk it?

If you don't plan on keeping him, it might be best to find his permanent home now and work with him there, it's harsh on parrots to move from home to home, it really messes with their emotions. I know you want to rehabilitate but the new owners can do that as well.

If you have a carrier, it may be worth thinking to have a qualified groomer or vet give him a light clip at first to keep him a bit more dependent on you. Then, you aren't actually doing the clipping so he won't be quite as mad at you.

I second (actually third because I believe I already said this) that you rehome him now and allow him to rehab in a great new home. Greys are REALLY sensitive and it isn't fair to him to make friends with you and your other bird only to be ripped away.

Yeah its for sure a threat... as is his beak clicking. Slowly learning this bird, and making progress. He does seem to stay mad at me.. but the way I look at it is at least he has someone to be mad at.

Most Reactions

Back