Oct 22, 2015
Northern l.p. Michigan
Parrots
Buzz - CAG,
Ziggy - Nanday/Sun Conure,
Jasper - Goffin
Loki - Starling
Gloria - Foster CAG
Two weeks before we found Buzz I had found a u2 that was local and called. I had a great talk with the owner but someone else had already called and they had first choice, they bought her. So yesterday I'm checking bird listing, for no particular reason, and saw another u2 that was local. I noticed it was the same name and age as the bird we had previously called about. Odd. I told my husband about it. Today he asked me if I called and I said no because then I would want it and I'm not sure if he's ready for that. But then after he asked I did call. It is the same bird. They told me the history that I already knew. They decided after a month it won't work because their toddler got bit. Really! They also want $150 dollars more although they said it Was just what they paid for it. I didn't tell them that I was familiar with the bird. I'm a bit angry, really want the poor girl and not sure if I know enough for the challenges of two rehomed birds....but she's a cuddler!

A Grey and a U2....you're a glutton for punishment, huh? lol

If you have the time/patience, might be worth considering, but I'm sure it will be extremely difficult with 2 new birds.

That said.... I may adopt another U2 in the future...when there's less other animals at my house, lol

That poor U2! It makes me wonder how many times she's changed homes. I understand there are times when a bird just doesn't work out but one month, one toddler, one U2. That says a lot. Of course they do want their money back and then some.

As Tom said, it would be a challenge but I think you'd enjoy the rewards. Please let us know what you decide.

That poor U2! It makes me wonder how many times she's changed homes. I understand there are times when a bird just doesn't work out but one month, one toddler, one U2. That says a lot. Of course they do want their money back and then some.

As Tom said, it would be a challenge but I think you'd enjoy the rewards. Please let us know what you decide.

Well, I was told Willow was 4 when I got her, (no idea on actual age) and I know for sure I'm her 3rd home, maybe 4th.

Also, last. ;)

I know she is 18 and I thought the previous owner told me he was the second owner. Health wise she has a cataract on one eye but they were told it wouldn't affect her vision close range.
The two things I come back to is,
1. Buzz is a plucker and he might benefit from company...of course he might hate her!
2. They both won't fit in the front room and we would have to start a bird room. Even with stands will they feel close enough to us?
My husband who claims he doesn't like birds told me to take the Christmas money I have stashed for his gift and buy her. I don't want to jump and do anything without thinking it all though, even though I really want o.

Your playing a gamble when you already have a bird that plucks, he might like the company or might get jealous and make things worse. Out of all the different birds you chose a Umbrella, I hope you do understand their needs and problems that may arise. We had to give up ours cause it was just too complicated as all the other birds dislike him, he tries to kill other ones. He became unstable when I try to be stern with him just by saying no, he went crazy on me and started attacking me. I was drenched in blood trying to be calm to put him away while he's still going to town biting me. After that he was just a total terror. I've never been afraid of any birds but he scared me. So he had to go since I refuse to even try to get him out anymore, he attacks everyone and anyone including me. He was fully flighted so he fly attacks as well. It got to the point he was stressing us out and my other birds stopped talking, but all the singing and talking started the day he left. Plus I was relieved since I don't have to worry about anyone escaping and getting on his cage for him to bite their legs off or anything that sort. So choose carefully!!!

The couple we got Davy from also had a grey named KingBird, and he was very socialized, happy bird. He and Davy didn't get along and Davy was a very jealous bird because they let out King all the time and not Davy. They only had Davy a short time, but the husband was bit pretty hard and now wanted nothing to do with him because he was used to King being happy and tame. So we brought Davy home. About a month later I see an ad on facebook for a grey named king, and I was just devastated. This family goes through pets like they are things. I did a quick search for his name and counted 15!!!!!! pets he has sold. 15!! Including Davy and King, snakes, dogs, and other small reptile and rodent pets.

I so wanted to try for King bird, but Davy came first and I knew they didn't get along. I did talk to the people to ended up with King and they were experienced bird owners and I felt much better knowing he was going to a good home.

I am becoming known as the "bird lady" on my local facebook, I get asked questions and I usually comment when i see a fid for "sale". If I were rich I would take them all lol.

If I were rich I would take them all lol.

Most definitely would, just need those Lotto numbers lol :)

But seriously on the whole the best owner is one who gives serious consideration to owning a bird. Wish you luck with your decision.

My gut reaction was to just go rescue her. Thinking about it realistically has stopped me. Buzz has never been around other birds and just watching him watch my chickens has made me wonder if his attitude would be a problem. She also prefers men and my husband doesn't want to be the caregiver and I know there would be bird fights if she chose my son. Also financially, it's two weeks before Christmas and there is always tons of last minute gifts I forgot to get.
So at this point I've tried to not think about her. My desire really was to be involved with a rescue so I could foster a few birds and have a bit more safety if things go bad with Buzz's attitude.

My gut reaction was to just go rescue her. Thinking about it realistically has stopped me. Buzz has never been around other birds and just watching him watch my chickens has made me wonder if his attitude would be a problem. She also prefers men and my husband doesn't want to be the caregiver and I know there would be bird fights if she chose my son. Also financially, it's two weeks before Christmas and there is always tons of last minute gifts I forgot to get.
So at this point I've tried to not think about her. My desire really was to be involved with a rescue so I could foster a few birds and have a bit more safety if things go bad with Buzz's attitude.

Understand you exactly and would want to get her out of there too! but, could you help her in another way and introduce someone who would be ideal, is there anyone that you know of that could take her home and hopefully give her a forever loving home? Sometimes we are not the solution only the pathway.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back