Questions

HouseFan711

Mar 1, 2015
NY
are birds like dogs or cats in the sense that once you bring home your new baby you have to take it to the vet for a clean bill of health so to speak?
Do they have to see a vet once a year?
Do they need any kind of wellness shots?
Do they need any kind of vitamins? Or is the nutrition in heir foods and some our foods enough for them?
Is a standard sized cage big enough for just staying in while I'm at work or sleeping? (When I mean standard I mean 24x24x30)
Is there anything that they can't drink besides caffeine and sugary drinks like soda?
Anything they can't eat or you wouldn't feed them? (Besides the test I have already found online that list avacados, chocolate, onion, garlic, or fruit seeds)

are birds like dogs or cats in the sense that once you bring home your new baby you have to take it to the vet for a clean bill of health so to speak?
You don't have to but unless you purchase from a breeder who has already started a bird's health record, it is advisable.....

Do they have to see a vet once a year? No, but being prey animals, birds are quite good at masking illnesses and an annual exam let's the vet update a bird's medical record.....

Do they need any kind of wellness shots? There is a vaccine for polyomavirus, usually given to young birds, however, there is no current requirement that companion birds be vaccinated against the disease and there is a test for the disease.....you need to discuss the pros & cons of any vaccinations with your avian vet, but it has been reported by some vets that they have seen birds that had presented with reactions to polyoma booster shots, again, this is all best discussed with your avian vet....

Do they need any kind of vitamins? Or is the nutrition in heir foods and some our foods enough for them? Many parronts (parrot owners) self-supplement their birds, but I think your vet might caution against offering over the counter supplements to companion birds without a vet's order...you should know that synthetic supplements are not always readily accepted by a bird's system and can cause hypervitaminosis and end up requiring veterinary intervention.....

Is a standard sized cage big enough for just staying in while I'm at work or sleeping? (When I mean standard I mean 24x24x30) Since birds come in all sizes, so do cages....it is usually accepted that a cage should allow the bird to perch in the center of the cage, with its wings out-stretched and be able to turn around without its wings touching the cage bars, but there is not really a standard size.....

Is there anything that they can't drink besides caffeine and sugary drinks like soda? Alcoholic beverages.....

Anything they can't eat or you wouldn't feed them? (Besides the test I have already found online that list , chocolate, onion, garlic, or fruit seeds) Yes, but you need to research the foods acceptable for the species you are interested in...some birds require specific diets.....

Good luck.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back