Progress with Wasabi and Nori!

Marianne-in-hoian

Oct 2, 2024
Hello all!
As advised we are giving time to our birds to decompress, get used to us, the house...

Wasabi the naughty one is getting less agressive. We started sitting with our back to the cage and let him play with our hair when he starts pacing and raising his neck feathers and it seems to calm him down, also a great way to passively interact with him and building trust, I feel.

Nori, the quiet, skittish one, doesn't run away as fast as she did before, she comes closer and is becoming great at target/clicker training! So is wasabi, although at times it feels like if he could "just bite that thing off"! lol!

Neither of them freak out anymore when I clean the bottom of the cage before bedtime. Yay!

Also I was advised by the parrot teacher (youtube, who I highly recommend, the videos are so useful for new small bird owners) to give him an outlet for his biting, with shreddable and biteable toys. So I have tried a few toys. Homemade ones: pieces of loofa with hidden seeds, paper strips...Also tried a variety of store bought ones, no success. Until I gave him one that is basically stacked pieces of braided leaf/cord thing (and also switched the placement of the toy in the cage - the secret is near the food bowl!)! Wasabi played with a toy for the first time ever this morning! I am so happy I caught it! I hid some seeds in there, visible but wedged in, and he finally went for it! So cute! I am so happy he discovered how to play!

I wanted to share the video with you all, but even 5seconds is too large :( never mind, trust me,, it was cute!

Sounds like great progress, keep it up!
Posting videos, most easily done by putting them on YouTube and then putting the link in your forum post. We'd love to see them :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back