Pretty sure I'm going to become a creepy bird man :)!

In the mornings scarlet has some fruits, banana, strawberries, apple, pineapple, pear, water melon, cantelope, ect.
During the day she has a tiny amount of seeds, mostly for training, some pellets, 2 almonds (she gets cranky if she doesn't get them lol) and some dried fruit. Afternoon I give her mixed veggies, and for dinner she has either a brown rice mix with veggies and pasta, sometimes a little chicken or boiled egg aswell, or sweet potato mashed with mixed veggies :)

Oh thank you, that's a really good description of a daily feeding pattern. Thankfully we like to eat a lot of fruit and organic veggies so it will hopefully help me eat healthier lol.

Can't wait to have an Eclectus now, il be attached, poor Jack won't stand a chance :)

As far as seed, it's better to not give eclectus any. Stick to fresh foods, organic pellets, and healthy nuts (no raw nuts and no peanuts in the shell. It's better to stay away from peanuts all together if possible). My breeder literally has a clause in her warranty that stipulates a void warranty if any seeds are fed, she's seen that many health problems from them. She also suggests feeding veggies in the morning and fruits in the afternoon (no disrespect for Brodie's methods). She says it's easier to feed them bountiful veggies in the morning to break their fast. Fruits are healthy but still more loaded with sugar so she feeds them later in the day so she can closer monitor their intake.

Since I don't have my guy yet, I'm just passing along what I've read and been told by my breeder, though! I don't have a feeding plan just yet.

Gosh, isn't this a bustling thread!
Concerning seeds, Eclectus don't process fats as well as toos', greys, teils', etc, as they are frugivores (fruit eaters). Their digestive tracts have evolved to cope with high sugar-content foods a lot better than us, so we can't view their diet like we would our own.
(My vet is a world expert on Eclectus - Dr Rob Marshall. So I trust his years of research)

A few seeds is ok, but they should be used as treats ONLY. Same goes for nuts. Protein is more necessary for females than males (but that correlates to the egg-laying), very young birds and those breeding. So a little animal protein once a week is fine, but the incomplete protein sourced from legumes is all that is really necessary for them (taking the above consideration into account).

A normal amount of food to be eating is 80-120g per meal (depending on sub-type, age, size, etc) on a two-meal-per-day routine, but really you'll know how much to feed based on what get's literally spat back at you :p

Honestly, they take so long to feed so making up a batch in bulk (enough for a week or two) is essential to YOUR health! I make up a batch combining rice, mixed beans (soaked over night), broccoli, zucchini, carrot, pumpkin, sweet potato (extra vitamin-A is vital for eclectus, as in a considerable amount more than other species), quinoa, apple, strawberry, passionfruit, peas and some chilli. Poe LOVES this mix, and all I have to do is thaw out a baggy each day and heat it up a little.
(I'm not a morning person due to late shifts, so heat-and-stir is all I am capable of before my coffee and with a squawky-little-**** on my shoulder who fails to respect the need for silence first thing in the morning... the little darling.)

As for the dark feathers, Poe still has some dark patches on his that the vet said were stress-bands that can occur during weaning. It doesn't necessarily mean that the bird was rushed, as I was still hand feeding Poe when he arrived at 10 weeks old, and still spoon-feed his breakfast when he wants me too), but just that he found the experience, well, stressful. I imagine some birds may have larger/darker bands that would give the appearance of patchiness. Especially if he's been in for a health-check and has come back clean, this would fit the diagnosis.

My male Ecky is not cuddly,he shows his love by putting his beak against my lips in a kiss and that's as "cuddly" as he gets, he will freeze in that kiss position for upto 5 minutes. he doesn't like anyone stroking him anywhere. Except for running a finger down his beak. He lovingly regurgitates his food for me too. ;) He's a very talkative bird, he has little screaming moments but that's usually at our tea time and he is wondering why he isn't getting any of what I'm eating. He's 19months old so not reached the maturity age yet so I can't comment on any behaviour changes from that. :)

Ooh thank you thank you thank you :)

Didn't realise my creepy man thread would stretch out so long lol. How glad am I now that the title makes me sound so wonderful.

I can't help asking all these questions, I read something somewhere, and then something will contradict it somewhere else. An as I have never owned an eclectus before I think people with experience are like buckets of knowledge that I can trust lol.

Thankfully, the descriptions on food aren't too far from what I'm setting up, but things like veggies in the morning and fruit later on are useful bits I didn't know.

I'm hoping any patches are nothing and anyone not looking for a commercially GREEN green bird is just being silly, but I will wait until I see him.

I feel very prepared now lol, although I've looked after loads of birds, I've never had anything bigger then a tiel. So this is quite the adventure, il keep posting as I have much more questions to put to people, I think I'm more interested in the differences and the reasons behind everything. It's fascinating.

My next question would be taming, although the bird is hand reared this doesn't make it necessarily tame. I don't like the thought of clicker training, makes it feel a bit robotic to me, but then again I've never used it.

What methods do people use? What's worked? More importantly what hasn't?

That's in advance, and thanks to everyone posting its been a real help and good read :)

Another cage update, just been to a bird store like an hour and a half away to get more different stuff lol. I'm obviously now insane for enjoying massive trips just so my bird has toys lol.

Here is a cage picture!

image_zps94572bab.jpg

Also bought some other toys but I was worried about crowding it :(

That cage looks great! And if you ever feel like you have too many toys you could just take some out and rotate them. You don't want him to get bored anyway. The only big suggestion I have is for you to replace that dowel perch with a natural wood one, so he doesn't get foot sores. And maybe give him one or two more perches in general for higher in the cage. They like to be high up! You've probably already thought about that but I just thought I'd make sure! Haha.

Some seed is okay for eclectus. They are best given soaked and sprouted. But 1tbsp of seed a day gives them some oils and fats. Seeds have a bad rep because of all the horrendous health issues that stem from giving these birds a pure seed diet. But they are hookbills after all, just watch them eat a sunflower seed! Anyways, otherwise I agree with everyone, mostly fruits and veggies too. It is easier to feed them things they don't like as much in the morning, because they are more desperate and hungry. I just mash it all up together, fruits and veggies, and give it to them.

Thanks for the suggestions :)!

Harrison that's a really good point, I didn't think of removing the dowel, I may try and get more natural one, thanks! An your critism is constructive and exactly why I post on here, I like the help, so thank you!

Oh and also thanks Chikoo, it's always so useful to get people's own personal ways of feeding, especially with such a complex diet birds have.

Most Reactions

Back