Pet Birds and New Born Babies!

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
Hey guys, Back again. We are only a week and half before we can bring our new Pineapple home. So as you can tell everyone in my family has weighed in on my purchase, and it's mostly negative. Personally I don't care about the Negativity, it's not their money nor is it their responsibility. My only question is about New Born Babies.

The reason I ask, is my wife and I want to have kids soon. Now that I bringing a bird in the house some of her family and mine have been on us about all the dangers and blah, blah, blah, that a pet bird can bring to a New Born. How can I combat this argument because it's getting annoying. :p

I realize that when my wife becomes pregnant I will have to be the only person cleaning the cat box, and now the bird cage. I don't mind that at all. I also understand that the birds dropping and dander is not good for the baby, but that is a simple problem to correct. I don't understand all the negativity, as any pet is dangerous to a new born, just just birds.:green1:

I don't see a problem. I'm due April 7th now and I plan on having my bird macaw in the same room as my son until my son of course outgrows the crib. My macaw isn't a yeller and is the friendliest in he world, and we know she is great with kids (she even tolerates them yanking her tail).My only concern is my son hurting my bird.

I think its just a case of, as with any Animal, to keep a close watch and dont leave the Bird alone near the Baby... Birds can get very jealous if they can see your attention is being taken up by someone new in the family.

I know what you are going through!!!
I believe my parents sold my Galah from under me because they didn't agree with me having a bird around my new born baby. Use common sense... there is no danger to your baby unless you are an idiot and think its a good idea to have the bird free flying inside around the child or have the bird on the child etc.
I would be more worried about the bird ending up left out :)

I realize that when my wife becomes pregnant I will have to be the only person cleaning the cat box, and now the bird cage. I don't mind that at all.I also understand that the birds dropping and dander is not good for the baby, but that is a simple problem to correct. I don't understand all the negativity, as any pet is dangerous to a new born, just just birds.:green1:

Oh, what's the issue with someone pregnant cleaning a cage or litter tray?

Regardless, as long as you don't leave a bird loose in a room with a baby, there's no problem. I don't like cats (I hate the things), but I'd be a lot more comfortable with one around a baby, than a parrot; they are just generally far more predictable.

I realize that when my wife becomes pregnant I will have to be the only person cleaning the cat box, and now the bird cage. I don't mind that at all.I also understand that the birds dropping and dander is not good for the baby, but that is a simple problem to correct. I don't understand all the negativity, as any pet is dangerous to a new born, just just birds.:green1:

Oh, what's the issue with someone pregnant cleaning a cage or litter tray?

Regardless, as long as you don't leave a bird loose in a room with a baby, there's no problem. I don't like cats (I hate the things), but I'd be a lot more comfortable with one around a baby, than a parrot; they are just generally far more predictable.

It is never advisable for a Pregnant Woman to clean a Cat Litter Tray as Cats faeces carry parasites which can be fatal to unborn Babies!!

Here is a link which shows all the Animals that you should avoid cleaning whilst Pregant, including Parrots.

Working with animals when pregnant

The more you know! Thanks for filling in the gaps. :)

LOL.. I only know all this info, as when I was pregnant, there was a big thing going on at the time warning all Pregnant Women not to go near Cat Litter trays as there were alot of Unborn Babies that were affected by it at the time:(

One more argument in my mental arsenal of 'reasons we shouldn't have a cat'. ;)

LOL-3.gif

I love Cats, I love Dogs, I love Birds (Now), I love fish (saltwater), I love all animals. I would have a Zoo to myself if I had the money and time to do so. I don't want to be a hoarder as I am scared to death of people coming over to my house and it stinking.

As of right now, I only have two cats. I am working on a saltwater tank right now. My wife's bird is coming home in about a week. The only thing that is stopping me from opening up my own Zoo is cash. If I could open up a Zoo and make money off of it that would be my living.

As far as having a Bird and a baby, I need a good argument that tells my family to leave me alone. :p I have said everything I can think of. It's really annoying that every day you got to hear someone talk to me about how bad it is to own a bird.

I just personally got to the point where I say "here is a coke, and a smile now shut up". :p

Most Reactions

Back