Parrot abuse???

AmandaLC

Dec 31, 2016
Please help, I am open to any suggestions. I do not actually own a bird, but have neighbors that own a parrot. South American I think. The bird lives in a cage, don't get me wrong, it is a big cage with toys and perches. However this bird gets little to no interaction and certainly no affection that I have ever seen or known about. The bird belongs to and is more bonded with the man of this couple. The woman hates the bird, and this is where my problem comes in. The parrot talks and yells a lot, especially when the woman gets home from work. She hates this and loses her temper frequently. She has beaten on the bird's cage with a large stick on more than one occasion, while shouting at the bird. Lately, she has left the bird'S cage covered for days at a time, and has left the window behind the cage open in VERY cold temperatures. This evening, the cage is covered still, the window behind the cage is open (single-digit temps here right now) and there is a super bright light attached to the cage and shining in at the bird. I am about to move and am very concerned about the miserable life that this poor bird is living. Can anyone tell me what to do here???

What sort of info? Is this something the police would deal with, and if so, how so? They also have 3 dogs that they adore and spoil, calling the police is a last resort for me. I am hoping I might persuade them to give up the bird, I know there are rescue organizations and I may know an individual that could be willing to take in the bird, but he has many rescue birds already and I don't know if that sort of living situation would be very stressful for the bird anyway.

I knew about a bird being neglected, he was plucked and only being fed junk food, small cage with no toys. The bird was 4 hrs away from me. I called rescue groups in the area. I finally found 1 person that was willing to help. All it took was for her to go check on the bird. The owner caught on very quickly. Now the bird is being fed correctly, has a new large cage with toys. He has stopped plucking.
I'm so glad I stood up for this little guy. They can't help themselves. Hope you find away to try to help this bird. I know it's hard but if you don't this bird will never have the happy life he deserves.

The additional information required is based on where the Parrot is in the Huge World. Laws change based on the Governmental Unit involved. So, to advise you will require knowing that first.

Note: Laws in Canada are different than in the USA. In the USA, it is all based on State Law with Local Enforcement! Just showing up at someones door and making kind requests can quickly turn on you and go down hill fast.

You're Thread is a bit light regarding what you want to do or where you want this to go.

The recommendation of calling the Police and you stating that you do not want to do that really places anyone here at a major disadvantage as to making recommendations.

Short, the additional information, calling the Police and asking them how you should proceed and what specific information they need is the proper way of proceeding. If you want to show up on their front porch, you had better be willing to take the Parrot at that point. Because that could happen.

What you are defining can be seen as Abuse in some States but not all! Hence, we have now circled back around to the start of this Post.

So,?

We are located in Idaho. I have had a conversation with the female of the couple in the past, after an incident where she completely lost her temper on the bird. She said that she would do better and she understood my concerns. But there have been several more concerning incidents since then. I am reluctant to approach her about it again, because she is clearly not the most stable person I know. I would like to convince the couple to relinquish the bird. I have recently found the contact info of a person who may be willing to take the bird, but I have not spoken with him yet. And as I said, this person is known by the fact that he has many birds that he has rescued from similar situations, I really don't know or even know how to know if this bird would be happier living with many other birds. I am not willing to keep the bird myself, except temporarily if they were willing to give her to me, until I could find a better place for her. I have both a very old cat and a very old dog. Are there any rescue organizations in my area that anyone knows of? Again, I really want to help this bird and give her a chance to have a happier life. I am not sure that calling the police is the best answer. At least until I have exhausted other options.

I wish you luck with this, this poor bird didn't ask for this poor treatment. By how it is being treated it sounds as though this woman is trying to speed up it's demise.

We have an organisation here, RSPCA, Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, they can be contacted and will investigate claims of cruelty and will call in the Police if necessary. Do you have such an organisation who can be contacted about this?

If not will rescues be interested in coming and having a look? A third party may prove more successful especially if they can take the bird away with them?

Last edited:
I apologize for my rude reply! It was mostly misdirected frustration!
Not a very nice welcome for your first post!
I hope you are able to help this baby have a better life!

Thank-you, for the added information.

Your State government has Animal Abuse Codes (Laws) in place. I do not understand the process of your specific State. You will need to report it to your local SPC or County Animal Control Unit. If you live in a mid to large City either group may direct you to their Police in which a 'compliant' is taken. With the SPC or County Animal Control you will need to provide a 'complaint' if they are the acting Agent for the Governmental Unit.

Note: The individual that you know 'if he has correct documents' can directly contact the couple. General if they tell him to leave, his last attempt is to tell them that he must report them to the local Governmental Unit. Generally, most people will turn over the Abused Animal to avoid arrest and if found guilty; fees, jail time and the lost of their right to have any animals.

I hope that this helps!

Please keep us posted, holding out hope for a good future for this feathered baby.

Well, Im in Idaho so I can tell you that the abuse laws here are a joke.

But, what city? I know a number of local enforcement people who might make a stop. A uni showing up on the door step may make a difference.

Unfortunately we don't have a lot of rescue groups here but there are a few. I suspect I know the guy you're talking about and while his heart is in the right place he's not the best suited. It'd be better than this though. He's just got too many birds already. He's not really rescuing as he is collecting them. But he does love and care for them.

Anyway, since I'm local maybe shoot me a pm and I'll see if my animal welfare cops can may a check.

Last edited:
It would be good to get video and photos of this abuse - it is abuse. Enforcers tend to only enforce things they see...if the sherif goes to the door and is told we don't do any of these things, and especially if they see the bird acting angrily toward someone, nothing will happen. But video is great evidence, and it sounds as if you can see the bird. Perhaps there is an angle that doesn't give away the videographer...

Most places have animal welfare ordinances that require food and shelter. Being exposed to freezing temp is not shelter. Abuse tends to escalate...hitting the cage is not far removed from hitting the bird.

Unfortunately our animal cruelty laws were written by ranchers and are as basic as they can be.

If she's not hitting the bird, they're giving it food and water and it has at least 3 walls and a roof its not considered abuse. Nothing described here would get. Them a ticket.

It's not even a felony until the second conviction.

If I can get a location I do have friends on animal control units who may be able to help.

Seems Idaho is less progressive in this regard than other states. Perhaps the local animal control/shelter would be a good first-step as intervention.

Idaho is less progressive in most regards.

Worth a call to the humane Society.

What really sucks is that there just aren't any real rescue groups around. There's one on Facebook but they're not very responsive.

I care about this one a lot simply cuz it's near me and I can actually do something.

Idaho is less progressive in most regards.

Worth a call to the humane Society.

What really sucks is that there just aren't any real rescue groups around. There's one on Facebook but they're not very responsive.

I care about this one a lot simply cuz it's near me and I can actually do something.

Thank you, you have support from afar.

I'm going thru the same thing here in Florida. Without the care, food ,shelter and heater I provide. The poor blue and gold would be isolated. I reported the owner and was told the bird may be ignored but it's got proper shelter...I did this..not the owner...pm me I'll try to help more..soooooo frustrating isn't it!!!

Have you ever spoken to the man in the couple? You said it is basically his bird and he loves the bird or vise versa, but if he's allowing the bird to be covered for days on end with a bright light shining on the bird at the same time (I don't at all understand what they are trying to accomplish by blinding the bird while it's covered unless the light is for heat as is the cover, and there's a reason they have that window open, though I doubt it), ignoring the bird and not getting it out of it's cage, freezing it, and allowing his wife to scream and beat the bird's cage with a stick, then he doesn't care about the bird either. But it's possible that he may respond to you talking to him and listing EVERYTHING you've seen and heard. That's how you have to do it, make a point of how birds get stressed easily anyway, and his bird is locked in a cage and never allowed out, even worse he's been covered for day after day, the light, the window and the temperature, the screaming, the beating...Ask him if he'd like to just surrender the bird, and if he says no then you need to ask him why not, the poor bird hasn't even been uncovered for days let alone interacted with. This conversation should either have him giving the bird up, or improving upon the bird's condition. But it seems they don't like the noise from the bird and that's why she yells and hits the cage, which obviously will only make the problem worse. I don't think the police will do much, but they can tell you who to call in your area, such as animal control, a rescue, etc.

Either you need to confront the man and give him a choice, or you need to contact the proper authority in your area. Either way you cannot leave that bird to live out it's life in that home that way. Those are your options, you must do something. But as already stated you may have to temporarily take the bird upon speaking to him, which is exactly how I would approach it. I would tell him that I am prepared to take his bird right now and get it to a rescue where the bird will be treated with love, affection, will be interacted with, and will not be abused. Then take the bird if he offers and get it out of there. Then you can find a rescue. First is to get the poor bird out of there if possible. If he won't give the bird up then you have to call the proper animal authorities.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I'm going thru the same thing here in Florida. Without the care, food ,shelter and heater I provide. The poor blue and gold would be isolated. I reported the owner and was told the bird may be ignored but it's got proper shelter...I did this..not the owner...pm me I'll try to help more..soooooo frustrating isn't it!!!
I believe I read your story somewhere else and was just heartbroken by that macaw's story, but so thankful for what you're doing for it. I will never understand why someone refuses to give his macaw up when it is kept outside in a dirty cage in bad conditions, he never interacts with it, and has a neighbor caring for it every day because he refuses. Why not just surrender the bird? Why do the authorities think that this macaw's conditions are OK?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Back