Overcoming fear

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Well Iago has been home for almost three weeks. He has settled into our routine well; when I get home and say "Hi kids I'm home!" Both he and the green cheek Peep greet me with a loud Peeeeep.

I've kept them separate from one another for quarantine but so far all is well. Iago is still cautious but coming to himself. He can be afraid of toys and new people.

I'm asking everyone at home to talk nicely to him every day and slowly offer treats. He is responding well. He is gentle and only acts nippy if afraid, this is why I'm majoring icon socializing him. Counsel is appreciated!

I've taught him to "go upstairs" (top of cage to the play stand) and "go home" (go inside cage to sleep). He is amazingly smart and loves attention. He will hold on to my hand to keep me close and I have to work hard not to over baby him so he can also self entertain.

There's the news! I'm still amazed how such a magnificent bird can be neglected so.

CAGS are always going to be cautious and fearful. They spook easily. The fight/flight instinct tends to lean toward "flight."

They need reassurance. They need to be introduced to things slowly. They have a comfort zone. What you do is gradually expand that comfort zone, until they accept most things without going into panic/crisis/emotional upset/and in some cases plucking mode.

They don't do well in isolation. That only increases the fear. They are flock birds, and do better in a flock situation (the flock doesn't have to be other birds), with other living things to lean on for emotional support and take cues from when they don't know how to react to things. THAT'S THE KEY. It's one of the reason's Tusk is so keen on reassuring people with his "It's okay/You're okay." kinda stuff... He always needed that kind of reassurance himself. He recognizes it instantly in people... if no one else is going to speak up, he will.

They should be instigators, not neurotic pluckers.

Last edited:
I have seen that Birdman from Iago, he is cautious but curious. He loves to be walked around the house but then begins to feel a bit "out of sorts" and by his body language I can tell it's time to get back to his stand and cage. He then settles down and is happy to sing, talk, and sit quietly. Another thing he loves is routine; every day seems to bring him to an increased stable state. I have his stand/cage in an area where he sees everyone, has plenty of interaction with the family.

I leave the door open to his cage whenever I'm home so he has plenty of outside time - although he is content to be in his cage whenever I need to go.

He is allowing me to scratch his head and handle him freely. Seems to love being with me - but not neurotic to play alone. I'm trying hard not to overbond as I know that's not in his best interest.

I'm enjoying reading all the CAG threads and all of the counsel there.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back