Otto's Story

OttoVonRuthless

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 20, 2023
Parrots
Talking Fancy Lutino Parakeet, 3yrs old- 60 word vocabulary. Named Otto Von Ruthless
A little background:
I had to move from the place I was living in 2021 and at the time I had a dog, my sweet girl Legacy. She picked me out in 2008 in a Animal Shelter in Iowa. Only place I could find with just a week before I had to be out was 1 small apt that absolutely would not allow me to have my dog. Heartbroken I knew it would be unfair to Legacy to be homeless. So I found a Sheltie rescue here in NOVA and she was immediately adopted by a wonderful woman named Elaine in West Virginia who had adopted before from them. This lady jumped through hoops to get her after just seeing her photo. Fostered and adopted. Legacy is 18yo this year & is spoiled. My heart is still broken, I miss her!!!.

I finally after showing my new landlord I was a clean freak convinced her to let me get a budgie! I prepared for months getting everything it would need for it. For some reason there was a Budgie shortage around here. So I had to call around to find one. Finally, a Petco said they had budgies, September 8, 2021 I headed to Petco. I believe in rescuing animals from pet shops.
They had 4 budgies, all 4 were solid yellow with a white spot on their cheek!! 😱 I watched them for over 45 minutes, and 1 stood out. This guy was bobbing his head singing and chirping at all the others and the few toys they had. I definitely wanted him.
Otto was in the box to go home and they put 25 more budgies in ... I briefly considered getting a different one but I had a green/ yellow one and a blue/ white one previously so I stuck with this solid yellow bird.
In November 2021, Otto started wolf whistling, then the call whistle then finally the yoo-hoo whistle. He'd be a pervert and wolf whistle if I came out of the bathroom in a towel or if I bent over around him. Typical man!🤣 In December he was saying his name, Otto!! I was amazed! None of my birds ever talked. By January he was saying I love you and pretty boy... Then one day I came home from a Drs appointment and I said, "Hi Otto! I love you" he surprised me and said, "Hi pretty pretty!" From then on I was "Pretty* or "Pretty pretty" to him.
Next Sunday is 3 year anniversary of adopting Otto and I'm so glad I did! We lived in CA where he won over his Papa who loves animals but doesn't want pets. He won over Best Buy employees when we took him there because our AC was broke and it was 100° out. We took him to Zuma beach in Malibu and the mountains in Big Bear. He confused people at the airport, yelling "Hello Handsome! I love you! " And wolf whistling at them as the walked by or stood next to him . 😊
Today Otto has over 60 word vocabulary and surprises me daily with what he learns! He asks for this pictures to be taken and has 3 accents he speaks in. (British, Canadian and American Gangster) Lol.

I've edited this 10x and I keep finding tons of typos! It's typomania!!
Winner of story with most typos: Otto Von Ruthless 🏆🏅lol

I'll post videos later!
2nd picture was Thanksgiving 2021, his first time trying cucumber!

Attachments

• IMG_20220118_171155654.jpg
    IMG_20220118_171155654.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20211128_123917505.jpg
    IMG_20211128_123917505.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20230414_111825906.jpg
    IMG_20230414_111825906.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Where did Otto Von Ruthless name come from?
WWE Legend Stone Cold Steve Austin., Austin had been trying to come up for a name for his new character, pitched the idea for the character "Stone Cold" before coming up with Stone Cold part and got a list of names like:
Otto Von Ruthless, Ice Dagger, Fang McFrost etc...
I'm a huge Steve Austin fan, grew up watching him and met him a couple times. Now for 20 years I consider Steve a friend.

So I had a CA King snake named Steve, one named Stone Cold, a ball python named Texas, a budgie named Sheriff Austin over the years ( mostly as a teenager).. I fell in love with Otto Von Ruthless. Otto only says his first name, he never was interested in learning his middle and last .
Otto gave himself other names Otto Cheward and Ottoward recently.

Other names I considered were:
Roosevelt
Seymour

IMG_20211014_160504305.jpg

Last edited:
This is the best story in a long time!
I am a huge wrestling fan too. Cool background. Cool photos.
Sorry about your pup, but, hey life happens, and you did a good thing.
Ya know, I have long said that budgies are the best bird... compact, obtainable, houseable, not tooooo noisy and... man, can some of them talk, like Von Ruthless there.
I am so happy to know you two.
How did you find the Forums?

Congrats on Otto's win for Photo of the Month. 'Bout time we had a budgie winner!
Thank you! It shocked me! Otto's grandpa was thrilled, him being in the picture.

This is the best story in a long time!
I am a huge wrestling fan too. Cool background. Cool photos.
Sorry about your pup, but, hey life happens, and you did a good thing.
Ya know, I have long said that budgies are the best bird... compact, obtainable, houseable, not tooooo noisy and... man, can some of them talk, like Von Ruthless there.
I am so happy to know you two.
How did you find the Forums?
Thank you! Who your favorite past or present? I watched 1997- 2009 - occasional HOF, events etc.
Yeah I'm glad she got a good home and I do believe it was right for her.
They are the best birds! and they don't get stinky either! Otto always has a dusty sweet corn scent. Lol Yes, Otto is only quiet at bedtime. Lol I wouldn't have it any other way!
Thank you. Ditto.
You know mods do a great job here! I've been on many forums of different kinds and there is always just mean comments and fighting, harsh criticism in all directions. You absolutely 100% don't see that on here. Kudos to all mods/ staff. I like it here. Still finding my way around.

IMG_20240902_180359147.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240902_180344893.jpg
    IMG_20240902_180344893.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240902_180338769.jpg
    IMG_20240902_180338769.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240902_180352400.jpg
    IMG_20240902_180352400.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 3
Otto holding one of his tiny feathers he shed. He's overcome his fear of his shedded feathers. 🎉❤️

Attachments

• IMG_20240903_075723277.jpg
    IMG_20240903_075723277.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 6
I'm so glad you wrote up Otto's story! You and he were meant to be together, I have no doubt of that. So many people don't realize how intelligent Budgies are, but Otto is here to show them!
I'm really sorry that you had to find a home for Legacy, but it sounds like the woman who has her adores her now, too ❤️

Otto talks a vet visit
Video ⬆️
So I took Otto to the vet in the winter cause I thought he had a cold. Vet checks him out, Otto talks and plays and flirts... Vet said, "You have a healthy bird! I can't find anything wrong. Lungs are clear."
So Otto and I discussed this when we got home, $107 later.
Otto: ",I'm better baby!"
Then when accused of faking
"Otto's a good bird!"

Most Reactions

Back