New to having a parrot!(Derbyan Parakeet)Any advice?

TobEez

Oct 13, 2024
Parrots
Derbyan Parakeet
Hullo! Maybe a month (or a few weeks ago) I got myself a Derbyan Parakeet, his name is Draco, he's 2 month old.
I was wondering what kind of diet he should have, I already give him bell peppers, broccoli, apples, oranges, kiwis and such. But I think he needs more greens because his beak is kind of peeling off and showing some layers. :(
1000019477.jpg

That's him! You can kind of see his beak. Also any idea when I can let him out of the cage? He gets on my hand but is still wary and I'm scared that he'll hurt himself or not get back into the cage. :( Any advice about his species and maintaining bigger birds is welcome. :)))

Welcome and be welcomed!

Flaking of beaks is entirely normal, dont worry. THey are constantly growing and being worn down, like fingernails.

Don't rush things as far as getting out of his cage, take your time and let him lead the way. A few weeks of doing what you are now is not a bad idea. He has to learn to trust you and that takes time. Parrots are all about trust, measure everything by the yardstick - does this build or break trust. Getting him out too early and having the force him back in - trust buster! Waiting until he comes out on his own on your hand and goes back in the same way - trust builder!

My parrots diet is nuts and pellets in the AM, a FEW pieces of fruit for lunch and a chop mix of about 15 or so ingredients for dinner. Run most of them thru a food processer. I make a big batch, bag it in 3 day lots into freezer bags, freeze them and only thaw out a 3 day supply.

double handfuls of Habanero peppers
double handfuls of red chilies
big handful of jalapeno peppers
2 red bell peppers
2 radicchio
3 broccoli heads
1 cauliflower head
1 large can corn, rinsed and drained
1 can red kidney beans, ditto
1/3 lb pasta, single ingredient, no salt, no added vitamins
1 bundle organic kale
1 bundle brocoli-rabe
2 bundles leafy parsley
1 pound brussle sprouts, chopped
1 bag baby arugula

Last edited:
Welcome and be welcomed!

Flaking of beaks is entirely normal, dont worry. THey are constantly growing and being worn down, like fingernails.

Don't rush things as far as getting out of his cage, take your time and let him lead the way. A few weeks of doing what you are now is not a bad idea. He has to learn to trust you and that takes time. Parrots are all about trust, measure everything by the yardstick - does this build or break trust. Getting him out too early and having the force him back in - trust buster! Waiting until he comes out on his own on your hand and goes back in the same way - trust builder!

My parrots diet is nuts and pellets in the AM, a FEW pieces of fruit for lunch and a chop mix of about 15 or so ingredients for dinner. Run most of them thru a food processer. I make a big batch, bag it in 3 day lots into freezer bags, freeze them and only thaw out a 3 day supply.

double handfuls of Habanero peppers
double handfuls of red chilies
big handful of jalapeno peppers
2 red bell peppers
2 radicchio
3 broccoli heads
1 cauliflower head
1 large can corn, rinsed and drained
1 can red kidney beans, ditto
1/3 lb pasta, single ingredient, no salt, no added vitamins
1 bundle organic kale
1 bundle brocoli-rabe